World Sea Fishing Forums banner

cockles

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  ChrisP 
#1 ·
could anyone tell me if cockles freeze ok, please? being easy to collect and much easier to shell than mussels, i'm hoping they can be used successfully from the shore. thanks in advance.
sw

#2 ·
cockles will freeze down fine.

shell them first and lay them on newspaper to soak up any excess water for 10 mins.

i freeze around 30 in a small resealable bag. lay the bag flat pushing out any water or air before sealing.

lay them flat on your freezer shelf. i use a small thin metal plate for this. once frozen they can be stacked.

cockles can go in and out of the freezer a few times if not used.

because of there strong scent i use them as a match bait when the going is hard.

i have caught

dabs
flounder
whiting
codling

on them. i dont use them as a main bait but if i know that we will be struggling i will take a bag and use them to tip off the odd bait.

if this was the only bait you had it certainly doesnt put fish off and they have helped me win a few club comps.

in recent winters some good bags of cod have been taken on baits tipped with cockles.

its always worth having a few bags in the freezer :thumbs:

#3 ·
would just like to add,hooked but lost close in a decent hound on a tiny piece of rag and queen cockle foot.barely had time to take up slack after casting out cos it got took that quick:g:

#5 ·
cockles are a really top bait in this area of Scotland, although very few people bother with them... I have taken bass , flounder ,codling, wrasse, aand mini species with them...

Great tipping off bait with lug... Try them.. you wont be disappointed

Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.