World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this monthe Total Sea Fishing, and in one of the first columns, it states that a 19lb 8oz cod has just been caught at Newtons Point Porthcawl. What a cracker!

Fished the harbour wall several times in the past few years, whiting and dogs only. Where is Newton? What is it like, rocks/sand/weed? Any info would be gratefully received.

Tight lines

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Try the following link.

http://www.gowerrockhoppers.co.uk/

Once in the site, click "Venues" - then "Other South Wales Venues" - Then select "Newton Point" from the list.

This will give you map, photo and advice on the mark.

·
Registered
208 Posts
yeah i read about that luncker taken, sounds good don't it. is it me or do you think he was fishing for the late rays with a sandeel/squid cocktail? or is it me. sounds like good fishing anyway. newton is a mix of sand/rock, a good spot for bass in summer cos of the deep rock gullys i've heard of loads caught sandeel, crab and worm as top baits aswell as plugs etc. newton is well noted for its cod fishing in the winter months with the normal blacklug/squid cocktails number 1 bait. the mark was in one of last summers sea angler/ total seafishing mags, so i'll try and dig that out and get the rest of the info. it is a stone throw away from porthcawl pier!!! i'll get back too you with more info

·
Registered
174 Posts
Bugger - got all excited then.........then I noticed the date!!!!!! I was nearly quitting work and off fishing!!!!!

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
there was however a 26lb cod caught from the harbour wall last year in porthcawl..

Not by me though..

And i have no evidence to back up this claim..its mentioned a few times around the pier though

Marcus

·
Registered
1 Posts
newton point is at the very end of trecco bay caravan site off rocks,you need a good 70 to 80 yard cast to clear them where a sandy bottom is there

·
Registered
55 Posts
:wah: I have fished Newton Point 3 times in the last 2 weeks, there wre certainly no COD there, in fact my rod tip did not move in the three sessions and all I saw was a pouting of about 1/2 pound. All baits used, black lug, lug, rag, squid,, mackeral, even razor!!!!!!!!!!! Very poor at mo. but will persist cause its such a Lovely place to fish.:banghead:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts