World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello iv been doing a bit of sea fishing recentley like polloc maccy and a few rass and and gars. iv been fishing from the rumps at port issac in cornwall for those of you from down here. now id like to have a good go at cod fishing but having only just started sea fishing i havant a clue how to go about it. im guessing im going to have to get some more heavy duty gear. now i have about 150 to spend maby 200 at a push im only 16 so money is abit tight. also could anyone tell me the rigs to use and recomend me a good rod and reel set up to use for codding please and the tackle im going to need. id also if possible like to see some diagrams of the rigs for setting them up if thats ok. any help would be gratefully apreciated. many thanks evryone.

Tom

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
hi Tom,
a good cod rod needs to do only a couple of things, it needs to be able to chuck large baits out with big leads, and then be able to bully cod back in through often rough ground. A tournement style rod will rip hooks from mouths and a soft floopy stick will not get the fish moving toward you. Also, a multiplier reel will give you better cranking power.
rigs wise, pulleys work for me, with 4/0 hooks minimum, often 6/0 and sometimes 8/0. All depends on bait size. Bigger is nearly always better, unless you need distance then smaller can reach the fish.
here's a rig

I use this rig with a namix lead with built in baitclip
look for coloured water after a good storm, and use a smelly bait like lug. my favourite cod bait is bluey and it's the cheapest too unless you can dig your own lug. squid's another top cod bait, with peeler crab good in spring.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Welcome to the forums :victory:

Its about this time of year we get a massive amounts of posts about being a cod noob, what rig, what bait etc bla bla bla

Many forums have this thing called a search function or search thread :group:

To help ya on ya way...

They is a section called SWAT well worth a read.

Search words which are good...

Cod rigs
Best cods baits
Pulley Pennel
Something with cod in the title...

Type of gear needed, well a beach caster is standard around the 12' to 13' mark reels come in many forms and this baffles my some days, ya can always ask your local tackle shop for advice. Alot of it boils down to what type of beach ya fishing mostlu like clean to mixed to rough etc depending on gear required to do the job.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey mate, can't really help you with where to fish for Cod in Cornwall as I havn't liven there for a good few years now and I was more into lure fishing then. Try a post in the South West forum there's loads of people there who will give you details of the best places near you :)

Here's a few diagrams of basic rigs, plus a cod rig: http://www.torbayfishing.com/rigs.htm

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts