World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Tom i thought that the swim bladder was blown once they come up from a depth ?
== PAT
They may be in 100m of water, but many of those fish are taken high up as they cahse teh bait fish shoals.
Early on in the video you can see the guy releasing a codling.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Almost all cod caught in Norway will swim strongly back down, if they are handled correctly on board the boat. Even a 2lb codling caught in 600ft will go back without any problem. Usually its the bigger fish, 30lb plus, that are more likely to not go back without coaxing, but that is usually due to excessive time photographing them. As a result most fish on the trips I take are released, we generally only keep a few of the badly hooked ones for food.

The same is true for wolf fish, coalfish & halibut, but unfortunately torsk, pollack, ling and redfish will suffer from a blown swim bladder.

As for winning the lottery to afford a trip, its a lot cheaper to fish in Norway than you might think, unless you want a drinking holiday! Contact Anglers World Holidays on tel: 01246 221717 for a brochure.

Dave

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Oh Mush!..i seen you on the Tele im sure of it!!..heheheh

You can take me with you to Norway next time you go Dave!...

Or ill settle for down to Rossilly beach for some of them Goldern greys

Marcus

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Almost all cod caught in Norway will swim strongly back down, if they are handled correctly on board the boat. Even a 2lb codling caught in 600ft will go back without any problem. Usually its the bigger fish, 30lb plus, that are more likely to not go back without coaxing, but that is usually due to excessive time photographing them. As a result most fish on the trips I take are released, we generally only keep a few of the badly hooked ones for food.

The same is true for wolf fish, coalfish & halibut, but unfortunately torsk, pollack, ling and redfish will suffer from a blown swim bladder.

As for winning the lottery to afford a trip, its a lot cheaper to fish in Norway than you might think, unless you want a drinking holiday! Contact Anglers World Holidays on tel: 01246 221717 for a brochure.

Dave
Thanks Dave I will ask permission from head office (her indoors) see if i can raise enough finances,positive will phone,sure looks the beese nees. == PAT

·
Registered
155 Posts
The last place we want to chase the Norwegian cod is anywhere near the UK! It's because nobody apart from the locals can fish for them commercially that the stocks are so healthy! Same in Iceland...non-EU!!

Marcus, yes the golden grey fishing at Llangennith is great; might organise a forum readers days down there if there is enough interest?

All the best.

Dave

·
Registered
462 Posts
hey dave..take it your the dave lewis off tele lol

if so you know the episode were you take matt hayes down rossili were did u fish b4 that spot ? werew all the mud banks were ?

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
The last place we want to chase the Norwegian cod is anywhere near the UK! It's because nobody apart from the locals can fish for them commercially that the stocks are so healthy! Same in Iceland...non-EU!!

Marcus, yes the golden grey fishing at Llangennith is great; might organise a forum readers days down there if there is enough interest?

All the best.

Dave

Your on mate,,im sure i could drum up some interest!!

Be in touch

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Cool vid. Its was just the constant "This fish must weigh 20 Kaay gees" (kg) that got on my wick. What happened to pounds?

Nice cod though!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Cool vid. Its was just the constant "This fish must weigh 20 Kaay gees" (kg) that got on my wick. What happened to pounds?

Nice cod though!
I think you'll find that they've never used pounds in Norway :) Most of the kids nowadays wouldn't know what pounds and ounces are so it's up to us old yins to keep up!

YouTube is proving to be a brilliant source of fishing videos these days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts