World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I live in Belfast and I want to catch my first cod this winter (It doesn't have to be a giant to make me happy)

I was wondering if around Donagadee, Carrickfergus, Bangor, Brown's Bay etc. would have some cod. Is there any spots you guys would recommend, hopefully somewhere not too far away from Belfast? I don't mind beach fishing but I'm not very good at casting very far and I know that you do need to cast pretty far out to catch cod.

I've got pulley rigs, made out of 60lb mono, with 3/0 hooks, and I've got a 3/4metre long rod and a tough reel, so I think I've got most of the equipment (but if you have anything interesting to tell me please don't hesitate)

Any rigs, tips, bait, advice etc. would also be very appreciated!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
not from your area but tackle sounds fine ,just need a coddy spot and fishing after darkis better at most marks ...use big smelly baits...best baits change from area to area but won't go wrong with big squid and lug wraps...also peeler and mackeral very good some places

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not from your area but tackle sounds fine ,just need a coddy spot and fishing after darkis better at most marks ...use big smelly baits...best baits change from area to area but won't go wrong with big squid and lug wraps...also peeler and mackeral very good some places
OK cheers! 👍

·
Registered
273 Posts
Have a had few red codling around Bangor on lures a lot of Small’s but got this last summer rock codling red codling was stunning fish gd scrap on the lrf gear caught about ten yards in about 3-5ft of water lovely colours too at a guess bout 2lb was about 50-55cm had some gurth too. Ur best bet would be Antrim coast but even there they r very scarce only had small smick codlings on Antrim coast that codling in the pic is my biggest from shore

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Bout ye GF! Greenisland man meself...( now residing in the CI’s for the past 30+yrs).
As kids, we would catch the Red Cod and Blochan off of the Carrick harbour and marina. I wouldn’t have a scooby about the venue these days.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
( now residing in the CI’s for the past 30+yrs).
CI"s CRIMINAL INSANE section? what the hell BOF hahahah give"us a clue ?

To the OP
I have said it before an i"ll say it again, conditions conditions conditions! ye need the right conditions for Cod, now ive said it before an i"ll say it again (again), Cod or any fish for that matter can be caught anywhere (in the sea lol) and at anytime.

But to gain proper knowledge of when an where you have to put the hours in and be driven to succeed, i do sound like a know it all, i know lol but its one thing to want to do a thing, its another thing all together to be driven by a desire.

Here is the biggest factor that over the years i have found to be the killer of good fishing,
if ? the conditions are perfect for Cod on the North coast say on a Tuesday night.
Are you prepared, do you have the time and resources and mental aptitude to go dig fresh Lugworms, then go spend 5 hours in a onshore wind with waves crashing in and around you ? then go to your work the next day ? not many do.
But if you are driven by a deep desire to succeed then you will be able to achieve this as its really no bother when your wired to a Marsbar lol

Weekend off work,, ye ha! lets go fishing ?
well tide and time wait for no-man, and if the fish are there mid-week and your there on the weekend ? well thats not the lonely road to self gratification.

Rod and reel make little to no difference if the fish have been and gone, location, time of night make no difference if the fish have fed 3 days previous.

I am not be-littling anyone, i am not talking down to any people.
Its a sad reality im afraid.

So GF ? do you just want to add any Cod to your list,, cool either way we me like.

Fedstar...

Reactions: Had1lost2

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
CI"s CRIMINAL INSANE section? what the hell BOF hahahah give"us a clue ?

To the OP
I have said it before an i"ll say it again, conditions conditions conditions! ye need the right conditions for Cod, now ive said it before an i"ll say it again (again), Cod or any fish for that matter can be caught anywhere (in the sea lol) and at anytime.

But to gain proper knowledge of when an where you have to put the hours in and be driven to succeed, i do sound like a know it all, i know lol but its one thing to want to do a thing, its another thing all together to be driven by a desire.

Here is the biggest factor that over the years i have found to be the killer of good fishing,
if ? the conditions are perfect for Cod on the North coast say on a Tuesday night.
Are you prepared, do you have the time and resources and mental aptitude to go dig fresh Lugworms, then go spend 5 hours in a onshore wind with waves crashing in and around you ? then go to your work the next day ? not many do.
But if you are driven by a deep desire to succeed then you will be able to achieve this as its really no bother when your wired to a Marsbar lol

Weekend off work,, ye ha! lets go fishing ?
well tide and time wait for no-man, and if the fish are there mid-week and your there on the weekend ? well thats not the lonely road to self gratification.

Rod and reel make little to no difference if the fish have been and gone, location, time of night make no difference if the fish have fed 3 days previous.

I am not be-littling anyone, i am not talking down to any people.
Its a sad reality im afraid.

So GF ? do you just want to add any Cod to your list,, cool either way we me like.

Fedstar...
Have a wee duke at the flag mucker!...lol
Jersey mate.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Ten four BOF.

Fed...

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
When a lad I used to go the Winlands with my School, it's in Annalong; we fished the Harbour and used to get the Red Cod that lived in the Kelp,we got quite a few but being young lost loads of tackle. I'm sure they are still there and if you use the right gear you should get a few.
Good luck. By the way these were close in.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
When I was wee nipper the school used to take us to Dramalla house in Carnlough Bill.

I remember snorkeling in the sea at the wee pier facing Redbay boats watching Dogfish an Pollock underwater. Not Cod I know but you triggered a memory Bill.

Fed...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have a had few red codling around Bangor on lures a lot of Small’s but got this last summer rock codling red codling was stunning fish gd scrap on the lrf gear caught about ten yards in about 3-5ft of water lovely colours too at a guess bout 2lb was about 50-55cm had some gurth too. Ur best bet would be Antrim coast but even there they r very scarce only had small smick codlings on Antrim coast that codling in the pic is my biggest from shore
View attachment 1355485
Wow thanks for the advice and that's a really nice fish there
Tight lines

1 - 13 of 13 Posts