World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi dont want anyone to post marks or areas, but has anyone had a cod-codling from the beach yet??? or is it to early for this part of the world? what time of the year did they start showing last year? atb phil

·
Registered
451 Posts
This time last year people were catching them but then, in my area, the boats were saying that they never really left. This year, the cod haven't stayed just offshore and haven't showed as yet. The hope is that they will follow the whiting which will hopefully start to appear soon.
A chap told me the other day that he'd heard a few whiting and codling were caught off the Bar recently but I suspect this is just "he said, she said" stuff. Still, it has to be worth checking out!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers for that , thats the norm whitting= cod..... lf l was still in hampshire now l would be expecting cod to be there in nov... to be honest l think its all slow, to much acidity in the water keeping most species of the beach, plus sea temp still high..... . ended up going wading the other day not on purpose! lol! but was surpised at the sea temp not cold really for this time of the year... its gone mad this year even the trees still have leaves on!!!! atb phil

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm hopefully going to try the bar Friday night unless temps plummet too low ,so will see if there's anything out there!

·
Registered
25,234 Posts
I havent seen many cod off the boat this year,last few years theres been alot all through the year we have caught them 2,3 or even 4 at a time just feathering anything from 3 1/2 to 8lb+ in weight,a friend of mine had one around 10lb the other week very close to shore,lots of pilchards around at the moment so the bigger predators maybe feeding hard on baitfish and squid at the moment offshore.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Its the same story on both sides of the B.C. the Cod have not shown in any numbers where they should at about the right time, and I agree with both the above posts, the sea temp is still over 14 deg and they are chasing baitfish and we are nearly in November ! If the sea temp only drops by 0.5 deg per week it may be a few weeks before we see good numbers of Cod in the B.C. When they finally turn up I think we will see fewer fish but of a better size than last year with the odd lunker caught by some lucky s*d. Just call me an optimist if you like, lol.

·
Registered
25,234 Posts
Maybe they are on the way slowly then!
Hopefully they will come in bigtime,lol be nice to catch something off the beach instead of spikey pests,though someone fishing a big cod bait may well pick up a big bass.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As l thought , hampshire and dorset beaches being hit already! just got to hope there so bloated up from there , that they are swimming slowly this way and putting on the pounds!!!!lol! phil

·
Registered
25,234 Posts
It wouldnt surprise me if people are catching a few on the hush hush and keeping secretive about it,i remember when a magazine did a feature on cod in the fowey a few years ago,twas like blackpool illuminations up there shortly afterwards. LOL

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yeh very true cfish, as soon as they get to the bar, you won't need a headlamp or torch yourself as there will be that much light down there already lol

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yeh I had whiting and poor cod down the bar last night!

·
Registered
25,234 Posts
good signs with the whitting starting to show, will not be long now!
I shall be trying for a few whiting soon,a big bait will be put out whilst i am busy with the ting (hopefully).

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hi all!!

Just add my 'two pennorth' (if that's how you spell it!!). Will be on my annual hols to Rock on Thursday for a couple of weeks, something I 've done for last several years.

I manage to get out fishing most evenings, leaving the wife to a bath, glass of wine and reading! Any of my sessions between Daymer and Porthilly have thrown up codling over the last 3/4 years at this time along with whiting, flounder and school bass. These codling are only small 1 - 1 1/2lb but i daresay the larger ones are in the deeper rougher water.

Home is on the Bristol Channel where sport is very slow this year apart from a handful of better fish 5 - 10lb but therse are few andfar between.

Looking forward to it though

Cheers

Musky

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.