World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Cod on lures from the shore

6K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  dabcatcher 
#1 ·
Seeing as cod readily take lures has anyone managed to catch one from the shore? Would be interesting to know if it is possible. Would have thought with one of the larger storm shards might work...

#3 ·
Had one on a Toby from Loch Long. I was after mackerel and just as I was about to lift the spoon out a 2lb codling dashed out from behind a rock.

Fished a beach in Denmark once - got tired of catching codling on lug so changed to Redgills, then spoons and finally bare hooks twitched along the bottom. Caught fish on every method - got bored and fell asleep on the beach.

Cod in clear water are often preoccupied with chasing small fish, pity there are not enough cod around to make them more competitive.

Boat fishing east coast Scotland I have had plenty of summer cod on feathers whilst fishing for mackerel. One catch of about 30 2-3lb codling was on a shoal about 20ft down over 100ft+. They were all packed full of sandeels.

Reckon the only reason there are not more shore cod caught on lures is the lack of large shoals in close.

#4 ·
A few years ago whilst on holiday in the Outer Hebrides I was catching codling regularly on a spinner fishing from various rock marks. I was using Abu Tobys and German Sprats (an old veals lure I think).
It is easy to do here. I think that as long as you are casting into deep/clear water then it should be possible anywhere..........if there are cod there in the first place.

#7 ·
I have taken two red codling on the blue Rapala J13 lures when plugging for bass from a rock mark. Both came as a bit of a suprise TBH though, although one was golden in colour and pushing close to 5lb in weight. Other abnormalities i have had are several flounders taken on Rapala J11's, Rapala husky jerks and Storm thundersticks. I also caught a small turbot on an 28g Abu Toby once and have also caught plaice on them before. Other rareities include a ballan wrasse on a Maria Chase SW and a sea scorpion on a Dextor wedge. I have also caught garfish, weever fish, sea trout, salmon, pollack, coalfish and mackerel all on lures mainly intended for bass.

#9 ·
Was down at a local mark early June last year and a guy fishing next to me caught a 3 decent cod on jellies. I also caught a small cod the week after in the same way.

Returned a fair few times to the same mark and no cod landed on jellies. Lost a few fish that seemed coddish but maybe just pollack (probably in fact). Also tried a few other marks into late summer/early autumn but no cod took the jellies.

#10 ·
the south gare in redcar used to get quite a few on feathers.

when the lads fished for mackerel if they let they feathers go deep as they came close to the pier they picked up codling and coalies. this can also be the case on roker in sunderland and south sheilds.

a friend dived at a spot in scotland some years ago and noticed loads of cod all around 6lb sitting in holes in a wall. he got straight out and used a spinner along the front of the wall and caught loads of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.