World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
COD RIGS.......!!

yes ..the pennel is they way to go....after advice on the forum..i have been using a 6/0-4/0 hook combo..
and have now toyed with the idea of using a big treble as the bottom hook...for mounting whole small cuttles/squids on...
i have mentioned this before..but never got the chance to try it out....
i remember reading that a cod rig should comprise of the 3 elements..
sight...smell...vibration.....
does anyone actually incorporate all 3 in there cod rigs...?

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
4/5ft rig, 80lb minimum (lots of snakes round are way), 8/0 varivas big mouth extras pennel. 2/3 whole squid or large single cuttle. job done, nothing complicated, simple way always best. presents a nice big bait, loads of scent.

·
Registered
999 Posts
dont like using trebles- the cod i caught last week was on the smaller 4/0 top hook of pennel - like using cuttle- smell - sight - but as there dead theres not much vibration-lol - have also changed from flowing trace to fixed as some fish feel the resistance and let go - fixed also helps them hook them selves imo

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
dont like using trebles- the cod i caught last week was on the smaller 4/0 top hook of pennel - like using cuttle- smell - sight - but as there dead theres not much vibration-lol - have also changed from flowing trace to fixed as some fish feel the resistance and let go - fixed also helps them hook them selves imo
Confused....fixed? call me thick, do you mean just a shorter trace.....:g:

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
guessing fixed as in the lead is not on a lead clip but secured to the actual trace.

i find it works the other way round, if theres any resistance the fish tend to drop the bait. hence why i use a running ledger.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
No pennels for me, just a single 8/0 or 10/0 with the cuttle split, reversed to guts outward and whipped to the hook with the point coming out of the head. Short trace 2 1/2 foot of 50lb mono on a flowing rig. I dont really see the point in trebles, as unlike lure fishing where the fish crashes into the lure, the fish taken on bait have time to munch the bait down.

As far as cod are concerned, simple is best in my opinion. I believe most of the cod taken on pennels are only hooked on the top hook because its the first point to engage when pulled from the anglers end. If the top hook wasnt there, the single hook would get the chance to do its job.

Raider.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Down here in South Wales we no longer tend to get cod to the size you guys get down the south / south east coast. Here in the Bristol channel I use a variation on the rig shown here, which is essentially a semi fixed running ledger with a fixed pennel rig - the fixed pennel rig has really impressed for cod and rays!

[video=youtube_share;2o9txtOTe2k]http://youtu.be/2o9txtOTe2k[/video]

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
great vid..many thanks...........the rig looks a good `un`..i hate it when the top hook slides down into the bait..making a ball, rather than a nicely presented package........this rig gets over that.......nice big thanks...!!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
hi Andy for me off the boat its minimum 8/0 8/0 pennels with varivas or sakuma hooks on a semi running ledger ....the bait can only move 2 foot before coming up against the lead my theory being by the time the fish has moved off 2 foot the hooks are in its mouth it comes up against the lead and then bolts giving savage bites and self hooked fish ....works a treat :)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Simple is IMO best.. 80lb minimum hook length. I like my baits nailed to the bottom so 3 to 4ft trace length.
And hooks as big as reasonably practical. I generally use 12/0's as I like to send down a decent offering.
This sunday just gone took these two fish, 28lb and 8lb both took 5 squid bait offerings.
You can slip a fist into an 10lbers mouth without touching the sides, so my opinion is dont be shy and use small hooks.
Big hooks hold more bait without masking the hookpoint.

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Simple is IMO best.. 80lb minimum hook length. I like my baits nailed to the bottom so 3 to 4ft trace length.
And hooks as big as reasonably practical. I generally use 12/0's as I like to send down a decent offering.
This sunday just gone took these two fish, 28lb and 8lb both took 5 squid bait offerings.
You can slip a fist into an 10lbers mouth without touching the sides, so my opinion is dont be shy and use small hooks.
Big hooks hold more bait without masking the hookpoint.

wow......loverly fish mate....a fresh cod looks awesome just out of the water.......
i hate there teeth and gill rakes thou..i always get an infection after handling them...
im going to start using long forceps and some proper gloves this year..
thanks for posting..andy

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
wow......loverly fish mate....a fresh cod looks awesome just out of the water.......
i hate there teeth and gill rakes thou..i always get an infection after handling them...
im going to start using long forceps and some proper gloves this year..
thanks for posting..andy
Yum yum Cod and Chips Cod and chips yum yum yum:yeah:
Are the doing the same this weekend and having a guess at it? i have nnw already!!!!:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.