World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I guess this has probably been asked to death on here but a quick search of WSF returned nothing.

I have seen a few videos/pictures roughly saying how to tell the difference but I'm still not sure.

On a recent trip, p***ing down and cold, I managed to pull out what I'm calling a codling.
But, the more I look at the pic, the more I'm second guessing....

so how do you tell the difference?
I know that pouting have a deeper belly (from dorsal fin to belly)and to me look almost arrow shaped, but whiting and cod/codling look identical to me.:unsure:

For example - here is the picture of the 'codling' I caught.....

(sorry for quality of an iPhone pic..)

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Deffo a cod :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ok, so I guess this has probably been asked to death on here but a quick search of WSF returned nothing.

I have seen a few videos/pictures roughly saying how to tell the difference but I'm still not sure.

On a recent trip, p***ing down and cold, I managed to pull out what I'm calling a codling.
But, the more I look at the pic, the more I'm second guessing....

so how do you tell the difference?
I know that pouting have a deeper belly (from dorsal fin to belly)and to me look almost arrow shaped, but whiting and cod/codling look identical to me.:unsure:

For example - here is the picture of the 'codling' I caught.....
View attachment 151542

(sorry for quality of an iPhone pic..)
Your pic is of a Codling, no doubt about it,

Codling:-

Whiting:-

Pouting:-

Above fish pix all taken on Walton Pier,

Snagger

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Here is a quick guide:
Cod - Barbel on chin, white lateral line.
Whiting - No barbel, long and skinny, darker lateral line.
Pout - Barbel on chin, short and fat, darker lateral line, start of first anal lines up with middle of first dorsal.
Poor cod - Similar to a pout but thinner, barbel on chin, start of first anal lines up with rear of first dorsal

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wahoo! I got a cod!! Yay!!:clap2::yeah:

Thanks for the info guys, there was something at the back of my mind about the barbule bit.

Thanks philr- great bit of info and easy to remember.

·
Registered
120 Posts
for info - as you have an iphone, there is quite a good app i have used on occasions to help identify fish called - 'what fish uk', have a look, mind you also posting on here works well as there is alot of knowledge about!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts