World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>As a newcomer to the sea fishing scene can anyone tell me what the prospects are of catching some decent cod of the east coast of scotland just now?? I usually prefer beachcasting from the cliffs but would just like to know if i&#39;m wasting my time. Maybe its time to put my sea gear away till next year but would like to know for sure.
Any info greatly appreciated..
Many thanks
Scotty...</font>

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I&#39;ve been trying to catch some cod(ling) without much success in the Aberdeen area, and gave up at the end of April. My last time out around the 20th April gave me 2 baby codling, both of about 1/2 lb. Since then, I have been trying to spin for some Saithe or Pollock, without success. I think now I will wait until the Mackeral arrive in July/August, and then just wait for some decent Cod in October onwards. Where in the East of Scotland do you fish?
Cheers</font>

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font color='#000000'>Hi Lewis,
I fish in the aberdeen area myself from time to time , mainly at newtonhill or cove. Havent had a great deal of success up there to be honest but seem promising spots all the same&#33;&#33; Enjoyed some good days out at the Arbroath cliffs including a whopping 6 1/2 pounder in march. &nbsp;
I now reckon thats the sea fishing finished for me till later in the year with the exception of a couple of sorties spinning for sea trout in the tay. Time to concentrate on the trusty fly rod&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
Tite Lines Lewis...</font>

J

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hello there,
I also fish in the Aberdeen area, and if you want I could show you a few of the marks when the season comes round again (after the salmon season finishes in October) If you want to get in touch you can E mail me at [email protected] The fishing hasn&#39;t been that great for the last couple of seasons, but before that you could be practically guaranteed to go home with two or three codling for a four or five hour session. The hardest thing about fishing around Aberdeen is getting decent bait.
Regards, John</font>

·
Registered
182 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Nothing for years and then along come 3 at once, Aberdeen to Stonehaven is also my local patch&#33;

I&#39;ve been posting on various forums on and off over the last few years and this is the 1st time I&#39;ve come across others fishing around here.

Too right about bait, but its surprising how much you can stuff in a freezer if you really try&#33;</font>

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font color='#000000'>Your not wrong there spanner - i was starting to think that WSF stood for welsh sea fishing. As for the bait problem i seem to be ok on that front with 1 good supplier in dundee &nbsp; &nbsp; ( the anglers choice ) and 1 in arbroath ( down near the harbour). Have you guys tried www.seabait.com??? I havent tried them myself but have spoke to them once on phone - they supply live rigger/rag next day delivery if ordered in the morning. Definately worth a try as prices are reasonable too..
Good luck
Scotty</font>

·
Registered
182 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I&#39;ve not tried sebait although I keep meaning to. &nbsp;I usually use Baits Direct and I can certainly recommend them. &nbsp;Just have a get a bunch at once to make it worthwhile, andy ou need a big freezer or an old one in the garage&#33;

However, I have more success with freezing my own caught/dug bait than buying frozen. &nbsp;I can&#39;t tell the difference in quality but the fish seem to. &nbsp;I just stock up the freezer when the mackerel are in and I dig razor from the west coast during the spring tides. &nbsp;

I keep meaning to get a push net to get my own sandeel, and one of these years I&#39;ll take a trip down to the Tay to stock up on peeler.

Tescos mussels and frozen calamari have got me out fishing plenty of times too, and I&#39;ve even caught on their slightly manky mackerel&#33;</font>

W

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>now is the time to fish for cod on the east coast of scotland with peeler crab as bait as the fish come into the shallow areas at this time of the year when the crab start to moult.so dont put away your beachcasting gear as you will miss out on great sport.</font>

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<font color='#000000'>That is very good to know wobbly&#33;&#33; So are you saying that you can catch cod pretty much all year round on the east coast or do they only feed on the peeler for a short period.
Reckon a trip to Arbroath cliffs could be on the cards for later in the week - i&#39;ll let you know how i get on&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;</font>

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
<font color='#000000'>For you other local chaps, there is an article in the latest issue (June I think) of Sea Angler magazine (in case you don&#39;t usually buy it) on fishing at Cove. No suprises, except that a Short Spined Sea Scorpian of about 2 lb or so (about 2 oz less than the Scottish record) was caught during the writers trip. They had several codling to 3 lb. One thing I do not know, is when their fishing trip actually took place, could have been 6 months ago, I&#39;ll have to read it again.</font>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts