World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a quick one, when does a codling actually become a cod, as i have heard people say they caught a 4lb codling and i have heard people say they caught a 2lb cod so what is the difference if there is one, cheers

·
Registered
303 Posts
No their all cod, bearing in mind that they can grow to 50lb and more it.s down to what you call a child or grown up. a baby or an adult or whatever I personaly think they're codling until they can spawn,

·
Registered
44 Posts
i believe when sea angler was giving out badges for catching cod ,any cod over 8lb would recieve a badge i,e a codling is under 8 lb .

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
every 1 i ever talked to or knew about this say over 5 lbs is a cod, even in books i have read it s 5lb plus, bbut its arguable guys..

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Ok - I admit it - when I catch them they are Codling, but when I get home they were Cod that I threw back. (so the boss indoors thinks)

Seriously though, it has been a couple of years since I caught a Cod over 5lbs.

(Yet 20 years ago, 5 pounders were the small ones)

·
Registered
671 Posts
I thought that upto 5lbs was a codling and above a cod, sad thing is only caught codling so far this season !

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
i caught the worlds smallest codling once,,it musta been about 2oz,,it was tiny..i took it home and had a nice meal :eek: ....heheheheh Just kidding. :p

I caught it on a small ragworm off porthcawl pier...bless it, :)

I was pleased obviously coz i'd actually caught a codling,(a very rare occurance of porthcawl pier).But i would of liked to have caught his(or her)father..!! :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts