World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought that I would share this for those of you that would like to cold smoke your own fish, meats etc.
I have had a smoking cabinet for a few years now but was disappointed with the results when I cold smoked. Hot smoking was ok for Mackerel etc, but the fish was always half cooked when I tried cold smoking. I put the smoker in the shed and have not bothered with it again until this week when I saw the ProQ Cold smoke generator .
For £34 I thought it was worth a try so bought one, and the results were brilliant. It smokes so slowly (anything up to 10 hours on one fill) without generating any heat that the fish was just like it had come from a fishmongers, but without that yellow dye that makes Smoked Haddock etc look so artificial.
I did a couple of whole Cod fillets and a couple of Pollack fillets this time, with about 70% Oak and 30% Beech, but they give you a list of just about all the woods etc that you can use, and what they are best for, so will be experimenting more in future. I also put a piece of cheddar in it for a couple of hours while the fish was smoking, and it came out just right!
Even if you do not own a smoker it would be very easy and cheap to make one using this, from almost anything from an old kitchen cupboard to a defunct fridge or freezer. I have even though of using an old but working fridge in the summer to prevent the ambient heat from cooking the fish while it is smoking.
I have no financial interest at all in this, but if you have ever wanted to have a go at smoking your own catch then get one and have a go. Make sure that you follow the included instructions on brining first, and do not overdo the smoking time until you find out the best time for your own taste.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Is it only me that is thinking that would be very easy to make and £34 is very expensive for a bit of bent metal? Good idea though!

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Don't tell the old fart, but some of us have been using it for years for fish, cheese and nuts. Salt, pepper and olive oil !!

·
Registered
25,321 Posts
Is it only me that is thinking that would be very easy to make and £34 is very expensive for a bit of bent metal? Good idea though!
I though that , but buying the high grade stainless steel mesh , spot welding the reinforcing wire to it then spot welding the spiral to the base is not quite so easy as you may think .

I tried to use a 2 inch " U" section of galv steel .. it wouldn't stay lit/smouldering for long possibly due to the fumes given off by the zinc so I binned that smoke sesion's food.

I tried to use a blow lamp cleaned large 5 litre washed out clean emulsion paint tin. half full with a commercial dust mix ignited the dust via a hole in the lower edge of the can , lit it with a blow lamp, it worked . The amount of smoke was a bit too much even though my smoke cupboard has variable air inlet control

Santa Clause in fishnets gave me one the the pro smokers .. they are very very good . Since Christmas day I've cured and smoked about 4 pounds of frozen ... thawed salmon steaks . Maple syrup rubbed over the dried oiled cured steak and vac pack heat sealed kept inthe fridge for 10 days is fantastic.

A couple of kg of Lincolnshire sausages ....Cured for 24 hrs in 25 % solution brine washed off under clean water and dried with a clean cotton tea towel then smoked for seven hours , then froze them in vac packs of five soon after the smoking. They are quite a lot firmer than normal shop sausages when done in the infra red grill .

I cured and smoked frozen thawed cod to see how it turned out .. makes it firmer and with ground up fennel seed in the brine was quite nice . Again the slabs were vac packed .

I've lost count of the different cheese's we have smoked .. all the waxy or hard cheeses came out well after being kept back for at least 10 days in a vac pack once done
The soft brie was OK but the blue stilton & another green shot cheese was considered gopping to all of the family as the smoke made the mouldy taste very prominent .
I'm about to smoke some fat pig back to freeze and make our own free range pork shoulder sausages & salami's when I'm ready.... in a few weeks time
I've smoked some olive oil , some cooking salt , salted almonds , and some plain prepack bacon what a difference to the shop brought chemical sprayed stuff. Fairly soon I'm going to cure and smoke my own back bacon, slice it and vac pack it for the freezer .

Next stage after that is to cure and smoke & air dry a big full shoulder of bone out pork and then move onto a leg that will be cured smoked and air dried for a year or more .

One thing I did find is that if I left the used smoker out in the smoke cupboard and the damp got to the ash it was a bit of a mess to clean it out
So I now empty the ash out and brush off the smoker unit as soon as I have taken the smoked food back it the house.

Oh it's ideal to have some sort of tote box or handled tub clean bucket to move your unsmoked / unsmoked products to and from the house .. I say this because I had three pounds of assorted cheeses on kitchen towelling slide off a slippery tray .
It went flying into the dog muck bucket .
Experience is expensive and dog shaped , evidently .

I got a 25 kg bag of kiln dried beech dust as well as it works out a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a few ounces at a time . The next big bag will be maple dust .

·
Registered
25,321 Posts
Pour some in a shallow Pyrex dish to about 10 mm deep and bung it in the smoker along with anything else your smoking so long as you don't get fluid dripping off the other stuff into the oil .

Bottle in a glass bottle not a plastic one ....as the oxygen passes through the plastic pores and oxidizes the smoked olive oil .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts