World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Just booked a place near Coleen, in West Cork, and was wondering if anyone had any local knowledge that they can share please?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Apparently the cottage is 5 miles from Mizen Head, so any advice in this area would be great, thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
Fish the area every year, Aug - Sep.

Suggest the following places
!. Barley Cove. Bass, Gilt Head Bream, Mullet, flatties. Best from the LH side of the river into the hole
the higher the tide the better. Best at night, the main beach is rife with surfers. take a look at low tide
to get the better spots, the beach configuration can change.

2. Toor Pier. Very DEEP. Pollack, wrasse, very rocky. Room for about 3/4 anglers. Turn right just after the school. Keep on that road, u will come to a parking area, walk down the path and steps onto the pier. The road is narrow with a grass middle but the effort to find it is well worth it. I have been broken up here and the pollack go 7/8ilbs +, spinning or float. Beautiful spot.

Best thing to do is purchase Ordnance Survey Map number 88 DISCOVERY SERIES
Big lug can be dug at Toormore bridge opposite the church, to the right as you look towards the cove.
It is on the main road between Goleen and Schull, layby right by the church, dig in the firm spots but
not in front of the ramps from the little islands.
Bait wise, difficult to obtain mackerel from fish shops which are few and far between.

I think if u look back on my previous posts u will gain more info, however have not fished it at this time of year.

Let me know how u get on

John

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers John, the place we are staying is a wooden cottage, which has its own pier, not sure if this is the pier you mention?

·
Registered
232 Posts
cheers John, the place we are staying is a wooden cottage, which has its own pier, not sure if this is the pier you mention?
No, this concrete. Not aware of a wooden pier in the area. Now my curiosity is aroused. Where?..

Can't stress enough, get the Discovery map, otherwise you will be floundering around:clap2:clap2::clap2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts