World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday's forescast pishy weather resulted in the cancellation of the good ship Ticketty Boo! II's proposed outing to Loch Etive. Big Al and I were at a bit of a loss, so he begged me and begged me to go fishing. I only said yes to keep him quiet. We set off for Loch Fyne (in the rain) to see what was happening and stopped off at Cairndow bang on low water to see if there were any peelers about (in the rain). One crab, two weights, some shock leader, a spinner, a string of feathers, one crab, five butterfish and two common eels later we headed round the top of the loch (in the rain) and towards Furnace quarry. The area behind the pier is now being worked, so on site parking is no longer really possible.

Two other anglers were fast akip in their car when we arrived (in the rain). Around their car was an assortment of litter and not far away was quite possibly the biggest jobby I have ever seen! Now I'm not a narrow hipped man myself, but this beast of a turd would have been worthy anyday of "Big Innes" from Still Game! Enough of the turd patter.

The butterfish below a float produced hee-haw (in the rain). I had a pollack of exactly 2lb on my mackeral feathers, two wee cod, and three wee coalies. Al caught another two traces and a brand new spinner. The rain at the quarry wasn't heavy enough for us, so we decided to head over to the bistro where the clouds looked darker. Had a good look around the bistro mark (in the rain) which was generally under creel siege. The only casting area available to the South was right into the wind, so we decided it wasn't a good idea. Stopped off at the small jetty to speak to some fishing campers who had arrived shortly before and were getting stuck into enough lager to floor a particularly thirsty wooly mammoth with a season ticket for Oktoberfest. Found a new blade for a bow saw where we parked. The jetty was absolutely boggin (in the rain) and looked as if it was suffering from a particularly bad case of weegie-itis. We found two tins of mince though and one of sausage casserole. Other less useful items of litter were half a ton of bog roll, cutlery, crockery, a pair of socks and the equivalent number of beer cans that it would take to form three squadrons of spitfires and a wellington bomber.

It was beginning to dry up a wee bit - we couldn't have that - so headed back North. We stopped briefly (in the rain) at the Inverary Ice rink to play a game of "who can slide the longest" along the death guaranteed pier. Our next trip was around the Loch and down to Largiemore point. First cast with mackeral and squid I had an almighty big thump of a bite followed by a smaller aftershock. I struck in, got about a dozen turns in to something quite big - then snagged up and lost whatever it was. Going by the bite, I'm guessing it may have been a hungry cod? We'll never know. A doggie took my species count to four for the day. Shortly after that, I was sure I could hear the unmistakable rumble of a tsunami powering it's way up Loch Fyne (in the rain), but it was Big Al snoring away on the rocks.

Our final leg was down to the new floating pontoon at Otter Ferry. My tripod got blown into the water with both rods, but was quickly grabbed by Al and all was recovered ok thankfully.

Not a bad day of exploration and the roll with 2 square sliced sausage and onions at the Bistro was to be highly recommended.

Did I mention that it rained a lot?????????????????????:) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
good report there gordon pity the fish were,nt playing but at least you wet a line !:clap3: btw was it raining where you were?:clap2:

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am, and will always remain, an anti-Jedi (Jinxed Etive Disasters Incorporated) stalwart. It doesn't mean that I can't take the oprtunity of trying to cure the odd one of them now and again by showing them how to catch a fish!:) :) :)

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
good report there gordon , however i just like to correct the fact that it was gordon who done the begging , i was trying to keep my sensible head on and stay indoors , but i am easily persuaded, :giveup: .

did you enjoy your meal of mince and beef stew gordon , only thing missing was the tatties :secret: .

i know that you want to join the jedi , keep asking mate and one day we might let you in.

thanks for a good day out .

al

·
Registered
164 Posts
good report, caught some fish and made enough money from the scrap to pay for the petrol, great day. any pics of the turd....someone might own up to it if its that impresive.

·
Hardcore Poster
1,575 Posts
Nice report (well sort of - I think !!!!:unsure: ) - you certainly put in the effort !! :)

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Good report Gordon.By the way 10/10 for your Easter LA barbie. The grilled "locally caught" scallops were the icing on the cake mate. Cheers
:clap2: :clap2:

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
loch sh*te strikes again well done fellas you put in the effort pity about the fish but at least you had the company of a jedi:clap3: :clap3:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts