World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bad luck continues, went to the boat today with a view of going out, was going to get 11am lock, but then rememered i had arranged to measure up some roofing works in kemptown, at 10.30, so back to the van. got back to shoreham at midday, i thought i will just go up the canal for an hour or so.
reversed out of my mooring, went to go forward......nothing, i was stranded, grrrrrr, had to stick my boat hook in the mud and pull myself to a metal jetty 10 yards away. gradually manouevered the boat forward, pulling it along with my hands, until i could engage reverse, and reverse all the way back to my mooring. cant believe my bad luck.
tied the boat up, put my wetsuit on, and went in, and under the back of the boat, looking for any old rope around the prop. nothing.
but thats it, my hurth gearbox goes in reverse, but not forward, obviously some damage done when the mooring line failed the prop the other day. to say that im fed up with the whole thing is an understatement. thinking of taking up knitting.....then again, thats knots and tying things, so might swerve that too.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
is there any adjustment on the gear cable ?? perhaps its not pulling it far enough to engage forward failing that have you though about getting some oars and a couple of small children to use them
I have children, £20.00 an hour:thumbs:

Bummer mate, hope its something silly and not expensive.:uhuh:

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Like mentioned before, first test would be remove the cable from the gear box selector, then manual select forward and reverse on the mooring on tick over.....if it works, just need to adjust the cable:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Yeah he's a tour manager for different bands I think he does quite a bit of work with Kate Nash never really know where he is from one week to the next but I know he uses the boat quite a bit when he's about normaly takes the old man out

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ZowzVmS6s Hi Alan this is me manually selecting the gears in a hurth gearbox which I fitted onto this engine.Hope it is only your cable needing adjusting.Regards Dave.
hi dave, thanks for that. looks a great engine.
i went to my boat earlier. the arm that the cable is attached to, i can move that forwards and backwards, and obviously it throws the control lever on my dashboard, im only able to do this after loosening the nut on the cable. dont know if this is good or bad, hopefully good. cheers, alan

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ZowzVmS6s Hi Alan this is me manually selecting the gears in a hurth gearbox which I fitted onto this engine.Hope it is only your cable needing adjusting.Regards Dave.
hi dave, i shifted the control lever to forward, and turned the shaft at the gearbox by hand, as a friend suggested, and there was no turning/movement of the shaft, did this in reverse also. so it shows that its going into gear, as it is meant to be. so the problem is just adjusting the cable. is this an easy to do, being that im crap at anything mechanical. cheers, alan

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
hi dave, i shifted the control lever to forward, and turned the shaft at the gearbox by hand, as a friend suggested, and there was no turning/movement of the shaft, did this in reverse also. so it shows that its going into gear, as it is meant to be. so the problem is just adjusting the cable. is this an easy to do, being that im crap at anything mechanical. cheers, alan
Ask Dave nicely.

Hi Alan this is me manually selecting the gears in a hurth gearbox which I fitted onto this engine.Hope it is only your cable needing adjusting.Regards Dave.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts