World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following on from Prof. Tench's excellent article.

It's a sound economic fact (and it has been since the 70's) that it is impossible to make a living from inshore fishing, whether using nets or longlines or any other method without "SIGNING-ON" as well.

SO if you know any of the parasitic b......s who indulge, simply SHOP THEM!

4D

·
Registered
338 Posts
totally agree its very hard to make a decent living for inshore fishermen,most are part timers with other jobs,ie firemen,metal workers, ect ect , we all know quite a few of dole wallers, people claiming benifits ect.
but we also know a lot of lads who dig bait,collect crabs,make sinkers,rigs,make pots,nets,longlines, poach salmon, work on party boats, or party boat skippers who claim dole and work at the same time????.
its like a big rubberball start throwing it and see who it bounces to next, he who throws the first stone i aint no angel, but then again who gives a fu+k if they cant stop the world and his mate coming through the tunnel what chance do you think some whiter than white scribblings will do get a grip:g:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
totally agree its very hard to make a decent living for inshore fishermen,most are part timers with other jobs,ie firemen,metal workers, ect ect , we all know quite a few of dole wallers, people claiming benifits ect.
but we also know a lot of lads who dig bait,collect crabs,make sinkers,rigs,make pots,nets,longlines, poach salmon, work on party boats, or party boat skippers who claim dole and work at the same time????.
its like a big rubberball start throwing it and see who it bounces to next, he who throws the first stone i aint no angel, but then again who gives a fu+k if they cant stop the world and his mate coming through the tunnel what chance do you think some whiter than white scribblings will do get a grip:g:

Point is, we are all are all footing the bill for these parasitic scum regardless of what complexion their particular "fiddle" may have.

It's no use quoting other "Benefit Cheats" or other parasites on the basis that "two wrongs make a right"

If you know the b......s then SHOP THEM.

Simple as!

4D

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Yeah I work, dont get paid a lot mind. I manage my lieu time and Holidays so I can try to find all my own bait, spend hours setting peeler traps, digging worms, finding free mussels. All that on top of finding time to spend with my partner and 2 small children and it doesnt leave a lot of time in a day.

It freaks me out no end when I go to my favourite place for mussels and find someone has taken sacks and sacks full to either scane and sell to the local shop (meaning I have to go to the shop and pay for them) or use on their boat to catch loads of fish (what do they do with that fish is my question ?). I then go peelering either straight from work or in lieu time or lunch break only to find someone who doesnt work has been before me - what do they do with these crabs ? sell them no doubt.

Ive never grassed anyone up in my life but when I have to get up and go out to work why should others supplement there income at my expense. It does get to the point where you do consider picking up the phone.

·
Registered
338 Posts
well why have you just picked on netters,ect ect why not get on your soapbox with the other ????, go outside the dole offices, and pubs where these drink, and shout out your feelings to them all???? live and let live or is it you are on a sea angling forum, i myself would rather be know as a benfit cheat (which im not) NOW??? than a grass or a faceless git, behind a phone or screen, i know plenty of lads who are now respectable buisnessmen, who have made there money (alot) of the backs of these kind of lads you are on about you shop them rather you than me ??????????????????????:g:

·
Registered
338 Posts
well why have you just picked on netters,ect ect why not get on your soapbox with the other ????, go outside the dole offices, and pubs where these drink, and shout out your feelings to them all???? live and let live or is it you are on a sea angling forum, i myself would rather be know as a benfit cheat (which im not) NOW??? than a grass or a faceless git, behind a phone or screen, i know plenty of lads who are now respectable buisnessmen, who have made there money (alot) of the backs of these kind of lads you are on about you shop them rather you than me ??????????????????????:g:
for fordy????

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course I'll shop them AT THE DROP OF A HAT!

You're just expanding on your theory that "two wrongs make a right". You're quoting all these instances and attempting to justify their parasitc way of life.

If we nailed the majority of these "netsmen" and "bait bandits" and removed the scum element from the equation, so much the better for us anglers/bait gatherers who "pay our dues."

Call me a "Grass" if you must, I would regard it as a compliment in this context.

If I spot them and know them, I'll nail them! - Nee prob.

4D

·
Registered
242 Posts

It's a sound economic fact (and it has been since the 70's) that it is impossible to make a living from inshore fishing, whether using nets or longlines or any other method without "SIGNING-ON" as well.

4D
where exactly does this sound economic fact come from that since the 70's it's been impossible for inshore fishermen to make a living...?

cos it's a pile of sh*te

i know a few inshore fishermen who have made a very good living.

i worked on a commercial boat in the mid 80s into the early 90s and believe me i earned more money then than your average tradesman is on now, and not once did i sign the dole, even though we were allowed to if it was bad weather
or we had engine trouble, as far as i was concerned i was earning enough

·
Banned
56 Posts
All i can say is i hope it never happens to you where you need to fiddle the dole

Why rant on about it on here there are thousands more fiddling than people working the boats/digging

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All i can say is i hope it never happens to you where you need to fiddle the dole

Why rant on about it on here there are thousands more fiddling than people working the boats/digging
Are we not losing sight of the main argument here.

This is an "Angling Forum" and the main thrust of my argument is that the toerags who "sign-on" and "commercially "fish" or gather bait in excessive quantiies without declaring that income are robbing us anglers blind from both angles (as sporting fishermen AND as Tax Payers)

In response to your last statementI have never had to nor EVER will "Fiddle the Dole" There's other ways of "living off your wits" without "SPONGEING".

Clear them out when you can (If you can)

4D

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
personally i agree with tip tornado and steerser, i have found myself, on a couple of occasions, needing to sign on, i did declare the majority of what i made, but it cost me more than i was earning, there really is no help to get back to work, except with long term unemployed layabouts, and then they don't want it !

as for the bait diggers, many i know are self employed, and will pay more tax than an employed person anyway, i should know. and no, i'm not a digger in a commercial sense,

ok, say the diggers have to pay tax and declare on there bait collections, which in principle they should, but consider this, a good digger might get 500 worms on a very good tide, say 2hrs pumping, he might get £1 per ten, thats ten pound a hundred, that's £50 for the 500,

so, he get's up at maybe 4 in the morning, to catch the tide and get the worms, so 1/2hr to get ready and onto the beach, 2hrs digging, 1hr wrapping them for the shop, 1/2hrs packing away. so around 4hrs. agreed ???

that's about £12.50 per hour, take off 22% tax and 3% Ni leaves around £9 per hour, take off the fuel and that leaves around £8 per hour (if local),

so, paperwork and all the physical effort for £8 per hour (on a good tide). not worth it. i work for £35 per hour when i charge labour out on a big job, as do most self employed people, or even more in many cases.

the diggers would either stop digging, resulting in a shortage of readily available bait, or they would charge double, hitting you in your pocket when you want worms.

when i say 500 in a good tide, this is not an everyday occurence, more often 300 would be the norm, and there's only x amount of days worth their while to dig down here, so maybe 8 out of 14 days, normally one tide a day. 300 worms would only be 6 per hour ! stuff that on a cold winters morning !

should we tax em ? officially... yes, unofficially ? leave em alone or pay the price.

as for netters, i've no idea,

as for licensed rod and line bass fishermen, i know a couple of guys that catch more 'big' bass in a day (up to 400lb), than you'll catch in a lifetime, they might only go out a couple of days a week during the summer / autumn, weather permitting, but they earn well enough out of it, neither sign on.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I think there might be a couple of types of individual in this. The person who has lost his job, is looking for another but will try to make a few extra quid if he can in the meantime to make things better for them and the family.

Then you have the serial dolite, every town has them. When you get up to go to work on a morning you pass their houses, 2 cars on the drive paid for on the never never or money from the local money lender, 1 a people carrier to carry the 5 kids they knocked out for the child benefit etc etc, house paid for by the council, no council tax to find, kids dressed in designer clothes from the catalogue they have no intention of paying for. Moves house very 3 years and even after they have gone the new owner gets endless bills for names they have never heard of and the house gets blacklisted on the bad debtors list (this is why the person moved on). Never done a days work in their life and probably never will but spends all day thinking of scams to get cash.

To me there is a difference. The first group could be any of us the second is a sponger taking the proverbial out of honest hard working folk.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I find it hard to beleive some of the crap that has been said here.Who are these supposed tax dodgers?pikeys?dole scroungers?etc.You obviously don't have a clue what you are talking about.Get a life!

·
Registered
338 Posts
hi
the people who post some of the crap on here must have led a bloody sheltered life, or live in cloud cookoo land, or have thick curtains,have you been out or lived in the real world, or is 9 till 5 your life, with 1+1 kids and a wife that isglad to see you go fishing?????? fuc+ me shape up where have you been hiding all your lives :yucky:

·
Registered
278 Posts

4D
I have never heard such an ill-judged comment from a member of this site as this one! I would be interested to know how much experience you have of commercial fishing and where you think all of these parasites get there gear, boats, liceneces etc etc from if they relay on however much the government shell out for them each week.

You should stick to something that you know about mate cause you know precious little about angling/fishing industry.:uhuh:

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have never heard such an ill-judged comment from a member of this site as this one! I would be interested to know how much experience you have of commercial fishing and where you think all of these parasites get there gear, boats, liceneces etc etc from if they relay on however much the government shell out for them each week.

You should stick to something that you know about mate cause you know precious little about angling/fishing industry.:uhuh:
at last somebody with sense (respect) :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:

G

·
0 Posts
Was share fisherman, paid tax never signed on during bad weather or boat in for repairs, "scratchers" did all right. Just wish people would get their facts right before spouting off.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
As a paranoid person generally, and as a newbie tackle manufacturer, this year a newbie bait supplier (live prawn) and somebody that scratches a living from the tourist trade by taking them fishing, I should like to point out that I havent signed on since one particularly sunny and fish filled summer when I was sixteen (Am 38 now). Since then I have paid many multiples of thousands of pounds evey year from lucrative work in the city. Last year I didnt pay any tax because I didnt earn enough. This year is looking similar. If you would like to get me back to the tax paying way of life, please visit my site and purchase tackle and guided fishing..............

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
by the way, I also know an inshore fisherman who drives a new cherokee jeep and has several houses in the family, all from bass, sole and thornbacks. And he pays taxes. Go to AnglersNet.co.uk, and find Wurzel. Mind out for the politics though.......

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I'm with all those that are scratching their heads on where the initial 'fact' came from. I know of a number of inshore fisherman that make a good living from their work, and they pay tax. If it wasn't possible to make a living, they would get another job, simple economics.

On the whole pay tax or not pay tax argument, pay tax, simple! I pay tax, always have done and always will do. If commercial fisherman, diggers etc are not earning enough after tax, get a different job. Take a look at our boys in Iraq and Afghanistan at the moment, some of them are on around £40/day for risking their lives and they pay tax on their earnings.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.