World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We know that a session or 2 with a good instructor is worth its weight in gold - ain't no substitute!

but for newbies - what common faults do many untrained casters exhibit - and what easy steps to cure - ie things newbies should be aware of and can self help on? (whilst waiting for opportunity to meet a master)

starting with - what is cutting the corner ? :g: and what can help to avoid it?:idea:

cheers

Al

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
most comon fault is rushing the cast coming over the top or cutting the corner is when the rods comes over the should

in cast you are trying to make a u shape when you come over the shoulder this makes a v and cuts the arc and load on the rod and can force you to go left

you can look high and right this some times helps

as you should look where you are casting and cast where you are looking

the first thing is to take your time and let the rod do the work

try to get your cast right beforeyou apply the power

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
most comon fault is rushing the cast coming over the top or cutting the corner is when the rods comes over the should

in cast you are trying to make a u shape when you come over the shoulder this makes a v and cuts the arc and load on the rod and can force you to go left

crystal - thanks inford (one for me to work on - one at a time eh?)

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Develop timing and technique together. Best way is to set an easily reached distance, i.e. if you are struggling to reach 150yds, but can easily get 120, set a mark at 120, and cast at the mark, trying to use less and less power to reach the mark. As you do this, you should feel the cast get easier. After perhaps 12-15 trys, for the last cast of the session, cast with the original amount of power that gave you 120. This is where you should see if there has been any improvement.

philtherod

·
Registered
830 Posts
As above; most anglers cast too fast, it's the single biggest fault. To try and gain more distance they cast faster, a sound technique means you can actualy cast slower and gain distance; I think its a fear of hitting the ground thing (therefore to compensate they get faster). Short drops are probably the next thing on the list, I fish with about 8-10ft drop, cast with 11-12ft. Amazing how many anglers I know cast with a wee 3ft or so drop.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks - and realyy counter intuitive - just shows the value of real knowledge:notworthy

·
Registered
22 Posts
As above; most anglers cast too fast, it's the single biggest fault. To try and gain more distance they cast faster, a sound technique means you can actualy cast slower and gain distance; I think its a fear of hitting the ground thing (therefore to compensate they get faster). Short drops are probably the next thing on the list, I fish with about 8-10ft drop, cast with 11-12ft. Amazing how many anglers I know cast with a wee 3ft or so drop.
This was me. Common sense tells you that there's less chance of hitting the ground with a shorter drop, right? WRONG!

When I lengthened the drop so that the weight was on my upper hand my problem disappeared. Now I can concentrate on producing a smooth cast rather than trying to get the sinker away as fast as possible before I smack the deck.

I still suck, mind you. :)

·
Registered
2,092 Posts

hi just my opion on this dont get a rod to stiff it will make you cut the corner,it is no good running before you can walk,there is plenty of rods on the market at reasonsble prices to let you get the feel of the rod, what i used to do was put an elastic band a wide one between my two thumbs and slowly pull my hands outwards you will feel the band get tighter and tighter till it wont bend no further this is what i look for when casting a progressive loading of the rod slow in fast out not that i know out mind you john

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
ITs not the rod that makes you cut the corner its the caster that get laxed in his tec and not making the rod keep to its arc.
all a stiff rod does is bend or not bend if you cut the corner or roll over the top of the cast its when come away from the arc.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
when coming round with arms away from body if the rod is too stiff for you it is easier to come over shoulder its easier than trying to hold on to rod.just my opion but have seen this lots
john

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
never found a rod that is to stiff to keep on arc.
the casters that cut the corner or roll over the top are not keeping to the arc
which snakes the blank then takes them off balance.
keep the rod on arc and keep balance.
how stiff a rod is has nowt to do with roll over or cutting the corner its poor tec
the gives these falts a stiff rod just show it up more..

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
as i said poor tec.
the thing is caster think they can run befor they learn to walk
get a good tec first and the yards come with it .

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
as i said earlier ,dont run before you can walk dont get a stiff rod,whan i started pendulem casting i was a bit lucky in as much there was a few of my friends were interested in it as well because then it was a good way to catch fish on my patch, what i used to do was to get as much info on casting as i could iwould,nt say there was loads of info about as there is now, niel mackellow has a good tape going the distance john holden has a cd, camcorder can be helpful then you can watch yourself and see mistakes,casting with a friend is another good way and best of all if you can attend is casting camps plenty will be coming up
john

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
if you rotate your body too quickly and leave your rod tip trailing too far behind you, you will have a tendancy to start your delivery too early , this can cause your rod to be dragged over your shoulder instead of completing a correct arc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
if you rotate your body too quickly and leave your rod tip trailing too far behind you, you will have a tendancy to start your delivery too early , this can cause your rod to be dragged over your shoulder instead of completing a correct arc.
I thought the standard advice was "leave your arms behind" when you begin your turn?

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
I thought the standard advice was "leave your arms behind" when you begin your turn?
aye , d, . did you notice i wrote TOO far behind. --- body rotation and rod movement should take place in unison , making for a smooth delivery.

·
Banned
400 Posts
i remeber my biggest fault was being a bit afraid of the rod and as such I was tentative and unbalanced.

the best peice of advice I can give anybody is this; dont go trying to apply all the tips and hints you get to your casting until you are comfortable with the rod and get to know how it will react to different casts and wieghts. my own rod casts better with a 5oz wieght and an easy action overhead cast, but the one I had before responded better to OTG with a 6-8oz and a hefty wallop.

find the technique that suits you best and improve it. dont go trying the pendulum or alien casts just because they might get you further out if they dont suit you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts