World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

After some advice. I've float fished since I was a kid. Always enjoyed catching fish with my old man. Usual fayre of Carp, Roach, Rudd, Perch & my personal favourite - Tench, all caught on as light-a tackle as possible.

We're going to Cornwall this week & I was wondering if there's anywhere to fish within about an hours drive from the beach / a pier / rocks. He's not a spring chicken anymore so i'd rather it was as safe as possible - with regards to rocks etc. Neither of us have been sea/shore fishing since i was about 10 so also no idea on what bait, lures & line we'd need. Assuming our rods & reels will be up to the task - but just with braided line? Any pointers would be massively appreciated, we're after Mackrel or Pollock - if you can even catch either along that coast? I've tried a few searches with little positive results!

·
Registered
14,469 Posts
Hi Andy, best to post on the South West forum.

I haven’t got much info on that area but I think they fish the harbour at Padstow

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Carp gear, light tackle float fishing will be great sport for Mackerel and Pollack enjoy, fish bait and lures that look like sandeels, white bait a sliver of Mackerel bait white belly will catch, as to where to fish as above post South West Catch report Forum.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Any rock mark into water with a bit depth and a bit of tide (so thousands of them near bude) will give Pollack, Wrasse and Mackerel
Carp/Pike Rods & Gear (10 -15lb line, pike floats size 4/2 hooks) fine for this kind of fun fishing
Worm Baits for Wrasse and Pollack, Mackerel Strips/Small Sandeels for mackerel and Pollack
Jetties/Piers will generally give the same...but smaller stamp of fish
If you can bothered to make up some oily "rubby dubby" you can create a trail in the water that attracts mackerel and Garfish (I just drop a tin of mashed up sardines into some sliced bread and a bottle of nom plas fish sauce poured all over it and stir it all up)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Watch out casting with braid using lead weights as it tends to bed into itself then snap off.
You could put some 15lb line on and just use a small weight, a couple of oz or whatever yr rod is rated to.
Personally I never tried again with braid after cutting of 15 quid worth but i know now i put too much on too loosely but its Fine for lures of course but then lures are a bit pricy compared to some hooks and a few packs of lug, or sandeels or whatever the shop has.
Use bait elastic to secure it all to the hook making sure it's not obscuring the hook point entirely, like a sausage up the shank. For want of a better expression. It's only a quid and essential for me anyway.
Call into a tackle shop for some lug worm some hooks and small sinkers or whatever they suggest and try anywhere the sea is, preferably when It's coming in.
See if your braid is wrapped fit to cast a weight before adding other line then all you need is hooks and lug or bits of fish bait which you can get anywhere.
Hope that's the info you need if not just ignore me :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts