World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Anyone have any useful tips on fishing Compton Bay on the Isle of Wight?
It's a very shallow beach, rocky at the Brook end becomes very clean and sandy towards Freshwater. Any particular areas worth targetting, as it's a large beach?
Long casting required?

Feel free to PM if you like.

Many thanks,

Steve.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I havent fished it that much, there are always too many tourists in summer.

I was told to go 200 yards to the right, now i cant remember if there is a bit of a wreck out there or if it was beacause of a fresh water chine flowing in.

I was informed to try at low water, or if it was really rough, as its a proper bass beach, and you need to fish the third breaker.

Thats all i know, hope it is of some use.

I didnt have much luck, but i havent really put the time in there to give it a good go.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Hi steve. I do know it can be very snaggy if the sand is washed out, so you may want to have a look first as some nasty veins of rock run through there. Looks really good fishing in between them though. If you look at the corner on google it sure looks turbo ground. Its even shallower there so i wouldn't fish it in any swell as i cant see the flattys liking it to much (if thats what you want)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for them sugestions chaps. I fished it this morning over low tide. Got there a bit late really, 7am, already bright sunlight. Blanked utterly with ragworm. I'll try at night time next time.
Some real good features, like you mentioned, deeps trenches running at 45 degrees to the beach at the car park end. The wrecked boat is clearly visible at low tide and sits in about 2 or 3 feet of water.
The far end is much cleaner, sand all the way, with bowls and dips in the sand.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
From days gone by, It fished well at Compton fields (that's next to the white chalk cliffs)
Now, some anglers used to walk along the bottom of the cliffs towards freshwater bay and did well, but I would not recommend that due to the danger of falling rocks, it really is just too dangerous

It always did produce bass and turbot but then so do most of the bays at the back(bass that is)

Just a quick tip, on the right hand end you have rocks and at the left you have rocks and a kelp bed, if you were a fish looking for food where would you go??????

hope this helps

john

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've tried fishing around Hanover point, I think I lost 1 pulley every time I retrived!
The ground at Hanover point become very shallow indeed at the point itself. Maybe I'll have a bash on the Compton side of Hanover point?
I still fancy a go up Compton fields, I've never even seen a Turbot, let alone caught one!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I've tried fishing around Hanover point, I think I lost 1 pulley every time I retrived!
The ground at Hanover point become very shallow indeed at the point itself. Maybe I'll have a bash on the Compton side of Hanover point?
I still fancy a go up Compton fields, I've never even seen a Turbot, let alone caught one!
Hanover does look nasty for tackle, but good spinning to be had on the ledge. I think if i made the effort to go to compton i would get into the chalk / mud corner and beat out some nice turbo baits.
Only problem this time of year is the beach is full of p1ssed up beach partiers on most weekends so bring a 6 pack of stella just in case!:blink: :blink: :blink: :drunk: :crazy:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Hi all,

Yes I had a pretty fine fish from here in July last year. :)
8½lbs and still far and away my PB.

HERE's the original report but it drones on a bit, so the basics are:

I fished at the SE end of the beach, using the bigger carpark there, down the steps and turned right, away from the cliffs.

I'd been there with the kids in daylight and thought I'd try around the low cos it
reminded me of several beaches up here in N Devon that I'd fish that way. Not all that many fish the beaches up here around the high.

The veins of rock aren't worth worrying about too much — they're what attracted me there, scattered with small crabs and a little weed, sandy 'flat gulleys' (if that makes sense) between them, bit of turbulence on the flood ... tasty.
They're just compressed clay though and all the few small snags I got were easy to break free. Didn't lose any gear.

The fish took a 5" frozen sandeel, threaded up a single 3/0 aberdeen, no more than 30 yards out between the rocks and in only 2-3' of water on the first of the flood. There was virtually no surf. Unfortunately, there was also no camera.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks very much for that! I'll try lobbing a few sandeels /macky heads in there when the bass arrive in numbers. I'll post if anything interesting happens...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts