World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a fantastic summer seasons fishing and having caught well over 300 Bass (most returned)
I have witnessed this year over 50 or so local anglers taking undersized fish,
seen people fishing for Bass in (SUPPOSEDLY) Protected estuaries :thumbdown ,
watched people fishing in boats close to the shore where there's meant to be no fishing.:cc_surren
Watched trawlers come in close to the shore at night and net within half a mile of the beach taking everything,:thumbdown
watched in frustration as 30 + people fish from high bridges where there's a ban on fishing.:nono::nono::nono::nono:
I live in a very small town in south devon and if this is going on here in plain sight i dread to think what's happening on a national level .
I'M ASHAMED TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH SEA FISHING........
Time to hang my waders up i think :giveup:

·
Registered
21,537 Posts
I've had a fantastic summer seasons fishing and having caught well over 300 Bass (most returned)
watched people fishing in boats close to the shore where there's meant to be no fishing.:cc_surren
Watched trawlers come in close to the shore at night and net within half a mile of the beach taking everything,:thumbdown
watched in frustration as 30 + people fish from high bridges where there's a ban on fishing.:nono::nono::nono::nono:
I live in a very small town in south devon and if this is going on here in plain sight i dread to think what's happening on a national level .
:sneaky2: Nothing for you to be ashamed about as you've done nothing wrong, blame DEFRA for not doing their job properly, you have reported these instances of lawlessness to DEFRA I take it? If you've reported them and DEFRA didn't act you've done your bit, if you haven't reported them then how can they investigate?:help:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reported them to defra ... devon sea fisheries.... environment agency , even the local harbourmaster all with no success..:wallbash:
Gonna take up fly fishing and spend my time fluff chucking

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Reported them to defra ... devon sea fisheries.... environment agency , even the local harbourmaster all with no success..:wallbash:
Gonna take up fly fishing and spend my time fluff chucking
Watch out for them poachers with there nets,electronic prongs and night lines, people fishing worm on fly only rivers, the taking of undersize fish, the list goes on:busted_co

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
seen people fishing for Bass in (SUPPOSEDLY) Protected estuaries :thumbdown
If your referring to a nursery area there is no ban on shore fishing for Bass and .. no ban on taking any sizeable ones you take from the shore, anglers are encouraged to put everything back but it isn't obligitory. .... in actual fact there is a lot of variation in the stipulations of the various nursery areas ... some still allow commercial netting.

watched in frustration as 30 + people fish from high bridges where there's a ban on fishing.
Assuming its a road bridge (and I think I know the one you are talking about if it is) ... then its down to the County Council to enforce it ... certainly round here the police will deal with it if asked to.

Its been said on here a hundred times that what many people think is the law and what it actually is are often two different things.

If people are taking undersize fish then say something about it to them directly ... or film it and send the film to the local paper and fisheries commitee - its amazing how the powers that be suddenly get interested when they think the press is going to start giving them a hard time over something.

·
Registered
104 Posts
hi, in my local bass nursery i see it all the time boat anglers those that fish from their moorings ( yachties ) and those on a regular basis in fishing boats its an old story !!
other week while shore fishing talking to another angler who was experienced said to me after i caught a schoolie " i will look away if you want to bash it on the head " it really is sad.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when referring to the bass nursery area i was talking about people fishing in boats up the river rather than from the shore, ....
i have spoken to people directly that fish from the bridge and am usually greeted with a tirade of abuse from them , what they dont seem to realise is that if you are hauling a small bass from a bridge 30 foot it is very unlikely to survive the drop back down if ... and i do repeat if they decide to throw it back,
it's a catch 22 situation here as the council have put up signs all over shaldon bridge saying no fishing bat have neglected to put in any bye law to enforce the rule !:busted_co:busted_co:busted_co
so the fishing continues with people targeting the bass at low tide through a very small channel, although the local harbour master has the authority to move them on as they are fishing in the general boting channel he chooses not to !
I just want to protect the fish and wish some anglers would just see the bigger picture if you take all the small fish from a nursery area there will be no bigger fish next year !
i kinow some people will argue that commercial fishermen will just take them anyway , and what does it matter if they take a few small bass but when does it stop ?
The river Teign used to be a wonderful salmon and sea trout river but as nobody seems to be bothered about falling stock levels and poaching etc the salmon have all gone and the sea trout are disappearing at an alarming rate too....... the Bass will be next if nothing is done to protect the fish in the river and the shore line .....
sorry for ranting but i'm so fed up of seeing bad sprtsmanship in fishing and pure greed .................. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
If your referring to a nursery area there is no ban on shore fishing for Bass and .. no ban on taking any sizeable ones you take from the shore, anglers are encouraged to put everything back but it isn't obligitory. .... in actual fact there is a lot of variation in the stipulations of the various nursery areas ... some still allow commercial netting.
My set of official rules published by MAFF (now DEFRA) ,published in 1990, says in section 1, paragraph 11,"The prohibition on bass fishing in nursery areas does not apply to fishing from the shore. HOWEVER it is expected shore anglers AND THEIR ASSOCIATIONS will respect the need for this prohibition and return to the sea any bass caught withing nursery areas."

The reason the E.A. cannot get involved in enforcement is that there is no licensing arrangement in place covering sea and estuary fishing, therefore there is no funding stream to enable enforcing the regulations by them.
According to the regulations, enforcement rests with the Fisheries departments and their Sea Fisheries Inspectorate, who are assisted by (then) local Sea Fisheries Committees (now) IFCAs.
I have travelled many times over the bridge in question, and seen both local anglers and members of the chinese community fishing there, the way forward is for the Chinese restaurant's freezers to be checked for undersize bass - if the excuse that the fish are farmed, then the receipts for the sale of farmed fish will need to be produced. This will involve officers from revenue and customs, this I know as my brother has been involved in this type of investigation a few years ago, one restaurant in the south-west was prosecuted for advertising wild bass, the ordered fish on the plate was measured and was undersized. The manager when asked about this, said the fish was actually farmed!! He was then asked which offence he would like to be prosecuted for - the advertising offence, or the undersized fish offence! That bit I don't know the answer to!

PTR

·
Registered
415 Posts
300 bass?........obviously thats not enough then!!
If its affecting your yeild then report them :busted_co

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
300 bass?........obviously thats not enough then!!
If its affecting your yeild then report them :busted_co
IF YOU HAD READ THE WHOLE THREAD YOU WOULD HAVE SEEN THAT I HAVE REPORTED THEM BUT NOBODY IS INTERESTED !!!
300+ bass but mostly between 1lb and 3lb and the 300 is a conservative estimate i've been Bass fishing for over 30 years in the same area ,
but this isn't about how many fish i've caught it's bout the apathy and general attitude toward bad spotsmanship greed and corruption and lack of action when problems are reported

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Your coastline is a very long one mate so why dont you chillax and fish somewhere free from all this stress and obnoxious activity.To throw it all in is not an option for me although like the rest of us i come across the sort of thing you describe from time to time. Fishing is what you make of it. :thumbs:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your coastline is a very long one mate so why dont you chillax and fish somewhere free from all this stress and obnoxious activity.To throw it all in is not an option for me although like the rest of us i come across the sort of thing you describe from time to time. Fishing is what you make of it. :thumbs:
I Know your right i should just chillax and ignore it all !
but i think too many people are turning a blind eye to this sort of thing all the time ,
It would help if i was the kind of person who could ignore it but i feel so passionately about angling and this wonderful part of the world i live in it just annoys me to see blatant law breaking and bad sportmanship ...........

IF NOBODY MAKES A STAND WE MIGHT AS WELL ALL SIT DOWN AND LET THE MUPPETS RULE THE SEAS

·
Registered
74 Posts
I admire you for raising the subject and hope that you don't give up sea fishing in favour of fly fishing for trout.

Things will change when enough people like yourself bring it to the attention of the right authorities. It's especially useful to have some form of paperwork to show that you have registered this complaint.

When an accident happens down the line (eg: car hitting angler on the bridge or angler falling in), then you have the evidence that the authorities were already aware that fishing was taking place on the bridge and did nothing about this unauthorised activity. This always makes them very nervous because somebody now can get the blame and is therefore liable in court

By the way after catching wild bass, you will soon get tried of catching stew pond stockies - unless you are wealthy enough to fish somewhere like the test. Here you might just get a real wild trout as opposed to one they stocked at the beginning of the season!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish:

By the way after catching wild bass, you will soon get tried of catching stew pond stockies - unless you are wealthy enough to fish somewhere like the test. Here you might just get a real wild trout as opposed to one they stocked at the beginning of the season!![/QUOTE]

When you put it like that it does sound like a bad idea to give it all up for a few stew pond stock fish :clap:
Gonna start keeping a diary and always carry my camera with me whilst fishing might start a website up so i can name and shame the dodgy anglers ??????

·
Registered
495 Posts
i Agree with you mate i feel very passionate about this subject and too many turn a blind eye to it i always approach people and advise them of the size limits most just go oh rite i never knew that but you now they don't give a sh#! some do take it onboard and some get abit sh***y i have had the odd scrap over the years over people taking undersize bass i have been told i am gonna get stabbed or run down thrown in etc i just think its funny i am not saying people have to confront them that's just me i can't let it lie but their are other ways a good one that's been mentioned was to film them doing the deed but i do fear it will fall on deaf ears but a least you are doing your part i know one thing i won't change

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Simon

I think that generally people are just ignorant of the fact that they are doing any wrong and i'm sure that most of them even if they did know they really wouldn't give a f**k , i too have been threatened with being stabbed and was followed one night by two guys that fish from shaldon bridge and threatened with a good kicking !
But it just makes me laugh i'm never intimidated , i just walk back to my car and run them over first :oops:

G

·

I launch at Teignmouth and can relate to all of the above …………………….. :wallbash:

I have had the pleasure of wiping out a few lines dangled from the bridge ……………not that I would do this on purpose of course ! :ph34r:

Shaldon beach is by far the worst place for folk keeping undersized Bass ………………

The estuary is only protected from boat fishing .............. shore anglers can where they like (except the bridge)

The harbour authority is tightening up on the not so boat legal fishing in the estuary mouth, however, this has more to do with the collision at sea regs than the fishing !

Never seen a true beam trawler working close in ................ only the eel fishermen at ebb and the potters at flood.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The people that net are usually locals and they launch small gill nets from the boats,:boat:( but these are not the lads that catch the sand eels i know them pretty well as i get alot of bait from them:boat:), but usually under the cover of darkness, there was a guy netting last week round by the parson and the clark and he was bragging about having netted over 240 bass all keepers !:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:
Heard there was a few guys checking up a few weeks ago , but that fisheries patrol boat sits near the back beach week after week and never moves ??????? WHY ??? i'll man the thing and stop all the numpties who are blatantly breaking the law ....................................................:busted_co:busted_co:busted_co

G

·
The people that net are usually locals and they launch small gill nets from the boats,:boat:( but these are not the lads that catch the sand eels i know them pretty well as i get alot of bait from them:boat:), but usually under the cover of darkness, there was a guy netting last week round by the parson and the clark and he was bragging about having netted over 240 bass all keepers !:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:
Heard there was a few guys checking up a few weeks ago , but that fisheries patrol boat sits near the back beach week after week and never moves ??????? WHY ??? i'll man the thing and stop all the numpties who are blatantly breaking the law ....................................................:busted_co:busted_co:busted_co
Government cut-backs. Can't afford the fuel............

1 - 20 of 35 Posts