World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I am seriously confused!! I have used Dexters for a while, (with some limited success most of the time) with a snap swivel to the split ring. The Dexter is a bold, brash, active and somewhat unsubtle creature, and as I see it, the snap link is somewhat hidden within the whole action.

My confused state of mind has been brought about by my desire to try my hand at soft lures and voraciously devouring the how to's and guides on this site.

Firstly, I understand that everyone has their own choices, ideas, techniques and methods developed by experience. But and it's a big BUT, for the uninitiated, the learning curve bears a close resemblance to the north face of the Eiger and can cost more than the defence budget of a small country.

Okay, rant over.

Now, a question. When using a 'plastic' should a snap swivel be used at the head, or seeing as you have just invested heavily in the best, most lifelike acting lure money can buy, sticking a swivel on it's nose surely defeats the object of presenting the target fish with the most realistic lunch. If no swivel is fitted what is stopping your lure spinning like a whirling dervish due to the twist built up in the line? Or would it be feasible to fit one between main and leader?

I'm pretty sure I will get as many differing answers as responders, and, I'm okay with that. Trial and error etc. etc. Nothing like going out there and getting lures into the water.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Nothing to get confused over bud. Swivels are only needed for lures that actually rotate.. to stop line twist. Softbaits, if rigged correctly, shouldn't spin so you don't need a swivel. That goes for most other lures as well. Use swivels on metal lures, spoons and spinners.

As for a clip.. the clip is only there to enable quick change of lures and also means that you won't shorten the leader, if you use one, every time you want to put a new lure on. The fish is focused on the lure and the clip will only be in it's peripheral vision.. it won't take any notice of it, if it notices it at all.

To sum it up..

Metal lures, spoons, spinners.. use a swivel and clip.

Hard and soft lures.. use a clip only, or tie them on directly. if you tie them on best to use a rapala loop knot to give the lure free movement... which is another benefit of using a clip, with a well rounded (lure) end.

More important than all of that is putting your lure in the right place at the right time, and working it correctly. Use your brain power thinking about those things.. clips etc are just a small technical issue.

PS. If you want to confuse yourself, wait until you start thinking about lure colour! ;):BigGrin:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts