World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year my main target is a conger eel, but I have no idea on any marks that throws up conger eel quite oftenly, preferably on the south coast or Wales, any help is very welcome thanks!

·
13,170 Posts
I know of a mark a bit nearer......there's been at least one caught off the Red Wall.....on the Channel:)

·
Premium Member
18,127 Posts
I don't know your area but as gulp says walls, old harbour walls that have potential holes in them is where iv caught a few, I find if its a fishing boat harbour you get a few as the fisherman sometimes throw some by catch in the harbour

·
Registered
540 Posts
This year my main target is a conger eel, but I have no idea on any marks that throws up conger eel quite oftenly, preferably on the south coast or Wales, any help is very welcome thanks!
Brixham breakwater.
Walk almost to the end and fish inside the breakwater, there are the remains of an old jetty, thats where the congers are, only need to lob it out about 15 yards .
Was talking to some anglers down there who were fishing for them, they said anything up to 50 lb.
They were tying rocks on as weight with weak line, just so they could lob it out, if the fish takes the bait the rock breaks of and you have to pull the fish in as quick as ya can or it ends up back in its hole.
Guess ya gunna need some strong tackle.
Good luck

·
Registered
13,022 Posts
'Be careful what you wish for' was advice given to me on Skye.
Bloody right.
Horrific things. Prehistoric.
Don't mind snakes, but eels proper freak me out.

Two bits of advice - don't use a wire trace and omit to pack a T-Bar or very long pliers.
And, have a towel handy.
Shiver.
LOL

Had a nightmare with one and told my sister about it.
She lives down in Devon and told me about her tough, commercial fishing local friend who pulled up one of his lobster pots, with a BIG one in.
It got out, into his small boat.
He was standing on the gunwhales at the front debating swimming to shore and abandoning ship.
Eventually he managed to crawl round the gunwhales to the engine at the back and bring the boat ashore, where he jumped out and had to ask mates to deal with it.
She says he still shivers about it too, and cannot bear it to be mentioned.
Ha!

G

·
Go past wales Wales turn west down the Somerset Coast, plenty of the loathsome things to be caught there. Enjoy wrestling with one in the mud of Burnham on Sea, or drag one up the wall from Watchet Harbour... or from the comfort of the back of your car at Blue Anchor.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Brixham breakwater.
Walk almost to the end and fish inside the breakwater, there are the remains of an old jetty, thats where the congers are, only need to lob it out about 15 yards .
Was talking to some anglers down there who were fishing for them, they said anything up to 50 lb.
They were tying rocks on as weight with weak line, just so they could lob it out, if the fish takes the bait the rock breaks of and you have to pull the fish in as quick as ya can or it ends up back in its hole.
Guess ya gunna need some strong tackle.
Good luck
Agree, definitely a good spot and worth going to as its a nice place too, bit of a long drive though?

lighty

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why not nip across the border....there's more than you can shake stick at in SW Scotland.....
Could you put me on any marks please mate, thanks for all the great replies

G

·
closest area for you would be the walney channel in autumn. my mate pete has had quite a few including one well over 20lb on a crab bait intended for plaice. he says you can see them sunbathing in summer lying vertical against the dock walls at times. they come out the dock in autumn to feed up prior to winter time so it would be as good a place as any to try for you.

all the rock marks in south west scotland can produce them. the marks where you cast onto sand or broken ground tend to fish at the same time as the walney channel, but the marks onto rough ground like those around the mull or along the borgue shoreline can produce them all summer long.
cheers rab

·
13,170 Posts
closest area for you would be the walney channel in autumn. my mate pete has had quite a few including one well over 20lb on a crab bait intended for plaice. he says you can see them sunbathing in summer lying vertical against the dock walls at times. they come out the dock in autumn to feed up prior to winter time so it would be as good a place as any to try for you.

all the rock marks in south west scotland can produce them. the marks where you cast onto sand or broken ground tend to fish at the same time as the walney channel, but the marks onto rough ground like those around the mull or along the borgue shoreline can produce them all summer long.
cheers rab
Was that the one landed on the flattie rod?

·
Registered
22,467 Posts
We don't get in the Thames Estuary so they are a novelty. We had a week in a cottage in Watchet about 15 years ago when my boy was little and the only congers I'd ever seen were those from mid channel wrecks out from Newhaven. My first session from Watchet harbour wall produced an 8lber, Blue Anchor a 12lber and one about 6. My final session at Minehead Harbour produced 5 but they were 3-5lb and my first shore caught tope so for me they were a welcome change.

·
Registered
13,022 Posts
We don't get in the Thames Estuary so they are a novelty. We had a week in a cottage in Watchet about 15 years ago when my boy was little and the only congers I'd ever seen were those from mid channel wrecks out from Newhaven. My first session from Watchet harbour wall produced an 8lber, Blue Anchor a 12lber and one about 6. My final session at Minehead Harbour produced 5 but they were 3-5lb and my first shore caught tope so for me they were a welcome change.
Yes, small ones like that aren't too hard to deal with.
20lbs and up and you suddenly realise they have the bodies of a slimy anaconda, but the head and jaws of a rabid Pit Bull. LOL

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.