World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI ALL,

I KNOW YOU DONT GET ROCK OUT CROPS AND ROCK LEDGES IN THE SOUTH EAST BUT THERE MUST BE A PLACE YOU CAN FISH FOR CONGER.
BE GRATEFULL FOR ANY INFO ON VENUES, BAIT AND TACKLE ETC .
HEARD SOMETHING ABOUT THE ODD CONGER ON ADMIRALTY PIER BUT MIGHT HAVE BEEN MISTAKEN. :fishing1: :fishing1: :fishing1:
HOPE THERE IS A DECENT VENUE CLOSE TO HOME.

THANKS ALOT.

WILL93

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I caught one at the Admiralty on the elbow many, many years ago but had to cut the line as we could not get it in a drop net. It was a fair size too, estimated at around 35-40lb by witnesses.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
addy, folkestone pier and rotunda have produced them on very very rare occasions. i have been told that when they used to drain ramsgate inner harbour you could see some big congers flapping in the mud. i meant to try off my boat last year but never got round to it.

most of the congers are a fluke TBH. you could fish every weekend for a year and not get one.

prob your best bet would be to try and find someone that dives from the addy. see if they can tell you where any big holes or features are. or even better if they know where one hides.

good luck mate, i hate to say it but i think your gonna need it.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Never caught one, but tried when working on the Western arm of dover docks, what use to be the submarimne pens. Thre divers working with us marked the walls out for us where all the drain pipes were as every one had conger in them.
We set macki flappers every night down the wall, lost two sets of gear, but never did catch one.
We even saw video footage taken by the divers of the conger, and even some impressive lobsters which Brown and Mason demo boys did have success with.

This was mid summer 1991, so they must be there all around the harbours, you just have to try to find the drainage pipe outlets. we used 60 lb mono with 6/0 s.

Woll

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dover breakwater used to produce a few years ago but hardly anyone bothers to fish for them anymore.the record on there is about 60lb i think but it's not the sort of fish i'd want to try landing off of there let alone trying to catch....dave.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pussy!! Whats wrong with you? Do you want to spend the rest of your life catching 23cm rockling? :bleh:
that fish wore me right out mate.took line and everything it did.my grandchildren will hear all about it when i have some!!:bleh:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Dave,

So What Your Saying Is You Catch The Eel Of The Breakwater But No One Bovers To Fish For Them. Trust Me If This Is The Case I Wil Be Down There
With My Rodnreel 30lb Line And Macky Flappers.

Will93

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Dave,

So What Your Saying Is You Catch The Eel Of The Breakwater But No One Bovers To Fish For Them. Trust Me If This Is The Case I Wil Be Down There
With My Rodnreel 30lb Line And Macky Flappers.

Will93
they used to catch conger on the breakwater but i have not heard of any for a long time.i spose it's worth a try for them on there but it might be a lot of trips before you learn where to catch and how also.go out there one day and talk to the pier marshall,tommy.he'll be a better help than i can on this.

http://www.dover-sea-angling
.com/index-photos.php?PHPSESSID=697bd9f4a6c4e47c77aa8f5e2653c0b4

if that link work's have a look at it mate.....dave.

·
Registered
70 Posts
samphire hoe has produced some small ones in the last few years and i no people have lost something big in the rocks maybe a big bass or a conger, its got to be perfect for a conger with all the rocks to hide and a rich feeding ground. about 10, 12 years ago i fished the addy at the start of the 2nd half and had a pout bitten off and half my hook length, i had just got it off the bottom and the rod just bend right over and then it snapped, twice in a day it had to be a conger.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I remember fishing a comp at Deal in the early 80's..

.. We didn't do very well and only had a couple of pouting to count (fished Sandown Castle end) so we went to the pier for the weigh in.

When we got there we saw loads of bags of fish. Most were caught between the pier and castle. Amongst these bags was a conger.. My mate spoke to the guy who caught it. He was fishing the beach next to the pier when (in his words) he caught the bottom. The "bottom" then swam towards the shore and he got his mate (who was wearing waders) to wade in to gaff it. As soon as it broke the surface, his mate legged it back up the beach when he saw what it was. The guy who hooked it managed to beach it on a wave. It weighed somewhere in the 50lb mark and was well over 6ft long. It didn't fit in the bag for the weigh in so he just wired the label to the eel.

This was the only conger I have ever seen in the flesh and I can understand the guy running up the beach :giveup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks For The Infvo Monk,
That Must Have Been One Hell Of A Conger.
Nop Chance Of Caching One There Nowerdays.

Will93

·
WSF Hardcore Haircut
721 Posts
Samphire Hoe, as soon as the mackerel are in we are gonna have a few all nighters for bass/conger, I've had one or two pouting chomped there in the past

1 - 20 of 22 Posts