World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of bites. Dabs, dogs, pouting, poor cod, whiting, and a 3 lb conger for Lewis (his first). Would have been even better if some fool hadn't read the tidetable incorrectly (ahem). If you want to give the place a go on a big tide use long, thick wires or you'll be dragged downtide through the sand.

Rhod.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Find a map of the St. Davids area and look for Whitesands beach. Conger Rock is situated on the second headland to the north of the main beach. It's also referred to as Porth Melgan Point with Porth Melgan beach itself being the next inlet north. Verified species to date (not all caught by me) are codling, whiting, dabs, thornbacks, small-eyeds, spotted and blonde ray, tope, turbot, brill, dogs, pout, poor cod, various gurnard, wrasse, conger, bass, plaice, mackerel. Oh yeah, and if you're feeling mad, sunfish and blue shark have been seen in the area.

The platform is on the north side of the point and faces St Davids Head. You can fish to the right into relatively shallow clean ground (there is a reef out there so look out), which has little tidal pull, or on the left into the main tidal run. This is very clean ground with a lot of depth. On big tides you need thick sinker wires and/or uptide leads. With the right rigs and baits there is always the chance of something special here, but it is impossible to blank. The dabs are always there to save the day, in my experience. Sadly I don't give the mark the attention it deserves and usually go there after a run of bad trips as a confidence restorer.

Rhod.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've heard quite a bit about conger rock. Probably give it a go over the festive period instead of the usual Amroth and Saundersfoot. I take it the best baits will be mackerel and worm baits. What time of the tide is best?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, not been on the forum for a while. Know its a bit late but regarding baits suggest a range of the usual suspects - rag, lug, mackerel, squid, adn anything else you fancy trying. State of tide? I prefer to simply fish the up. Lovely place for camping out for a full 6 hour session on a rsing tide. Others may fish the drop. Anyone tried it? I haven't so can't give an opinion. Further questions just send me a PM.

Cheers,

Rhod.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts