World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Conger Rock - really windy! Irritating conditions made worse by showers. Pity coz lots of fish! Combination of dogs, dabs, pout. Double or treble shots every cast. Gave up with the fish still biting.

Porthgain - So starts the great Pembrokeshire cod hunt! A small bunch of us have decided that we will try to catch a double figure cod. Our area is not known for them, but we have enough evidence to suggest that they are possible. This session was poor, but we learnt a lot about the mark for future reference. Check out next week for the next session.

Rhod.
:p :huh: :eek: :lol: :( :blink:

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
Where do you fish at Portgain Rhod?

I went down there for a recce 2 summers ago and found a reasonably comfortable rock platform maybe 20 minutes walk northwards - got stacks of ballans but nowt else. Lost a bit of gear but not too bad.

The outer harbour itself looks promising although didn't have time to try it.

Cheers - John

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John. We are really checking this area out at the moment. Basically there are stacks of marks all along the coast between Porthgain and Abereiddi. Strongly recommend getting the walking boots out and going for a stroll. If you do want to give the area a go again send me a PM. We've got everything from horrendous rough to clean marks. Recent anecdotal evidence points at resident red cod, big wrasse, ray, pollack, massive (7lb) rockling, huss, conger, ling etc. The lovely thing is there is practically no angling activity.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hello lads there is a shorter walk than walking from the harbour to the fishing marks in Porthgain, if you get to know the farmer, he has stopped people going through his fields, but sometimes he can be persueded if you cross his hand with silver.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you probably mean the access through Barry Island Farm. Yes you can park there for a small fee and its dead handy for access to Traeth Llwyn and its neighbouring point.
If you know of another access point, give us a few details and I'll give it a go.

Cheers,

Rhod.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dunno what's best yet as just starting to suss things out. I get the feeling from other people's catches that daylight is ok but personally I always prefer creeping around in the dark. My current plan of action is to always fish a mark for the first time during the day to get familiar with it, and then try it again at night.

Rhod.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi rhod I don't know if it is called barry island farm, but as you go down the narrow lane to Porthgain there is a sharp turning left, there is a hotel up there on the left hand side, the farmers bunglow is on the right. It is very deep water, if you fish by night there are some good conger and bullhuss also smooth hounds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts