World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
I recently picked up a 2nd hand ron thompson axellerator for 40 quid. brilliant rough ground rod

·
Registered
903 Posts
I use a 13ft 6&Bait. Apparently guys have had 20lb+ conger on them no probs. Last time I went for conger I loaned my old man's 15 1/2ft Unground DC8. Heavy rod but had I actually had a good run there would have been nothing that conger could have done to avoid being landed. I could have pulled a yacht in with that rod.

·
Registered
866 Posts
i use a 13ft 6&bait. Apparently guys have had 20lb+ conger on them no probs. Last time i went for conger i loaned my old man's 15 1/2ft unground dc8. Heavy rod but had i actually had a good run there would have been nothing that conger could have done to avoid being landed. I could have pulled a yacht in with that rod.
dc8 wicked rod

·
Registered
25,237 Posts
fladen warbird,i caught a 30lb+ plus eel on it aswell as a few small eels.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I personally find the Conoflex Nemesis Zeloso hard to beat, a little heavy by todays standards but very stiff. A little hard to get hold of, buy keep an eye on ebay
long time since i have about the zeloso a very pricey rod at the time butt was rigid along with mid sect there was give in the end of the tip an animal of a rod stiffer than the conoflex extreme.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
long time since i have about the zeloso a very pricey rod at the time butt was rigid along with mid sect there was give in the end of the tip an animal of a rod stiffer than the conoflex extreme.
Managed to get hold of one recently perfect for my conger bashing of Port talbot Breakwater, nice and stiff for dragging then from the boulders.

Tried several other rods even the Appllo MK1 which was recommended but no where near as stiff as this thing. My mate uses a Premier which is also great rod, another which uses a Zziplex bullet sport another stupidly stiff rod.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Managed to get hold of one recently perfect for my conger bashing of Port talbot Breakwater, nice and stiff for dragging then from the boulders.

Tried several other rods even the Appllo MK1 which was recommended but no where near as stiff as this thing. My mate uses a Premier which is also great rod, another which uses a Zziplex bullet sport another stupidly stiff rod.
the older version scorpion sport prob be a good choice also.

i wunder how heavy the zeloso would feel to me now after all these yrs and i wunder is it as stiff as i can remember.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Im a big fan of my old conoflex highlander, not sure if you can still get them, but I've had mine for 15 years and its still going strong although its on its third set of guides now! Has got a great backbone for hauling big fish out of the rough stuff.

·
Registered
21,674 Posts
just wanted to see what conger rods you thought were best and what rods have you used and from personal experience you would recommend?
:fishing:I used to do a lot of conger fishing around the Portland area when in the RN and based at Portland and I used an ABU 484C, I dragged them in up to 40+lbs with it but no longer available but plenty of other rods to do the job but they don't need to be built like a telegraph pole, you need backbone but a softish tip to play the fish, my Zzipplex Federation does it well enough with a Daiwa SL30SH and
20lb Sakuma line with 60lb leader.:fishing:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts