World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 weeks off work coming up and i am looking at catching some conger from the Shore/Rocks.

The question is in the title realy, where do you recomend going, the time of day and state of tide and what bait and rigs will be required.

I am trying to catch as many spieces as I can this year and this is one species i would like to tick off. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have 2 weeks off work coming up and i am looking at catching some conger from the Shore/Rocks.

The question is in the title realy, where do you recomend going, the time of day and state of tide and what bait and rigs will be required.

I am trying to catch as many spieces as I can this year and this is one species i would like to tick off. Thanks in advance.
sent you a pm mate,

·
Registered
129 Posts
hi buddy im not shour where ur from but u wont some deep water rocky and u have a chance of one. fish at night on a smallish tide, baite i would stick a hole macky on not a big one but not 2 small put some nice slits init or fillit one side of it, gets the sent going. as fro the rig just a leger but you wont somethink like 80 lb trace. hope that helps

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
not a crit but 80 lb trace will be bitten through if it not perfectly hooked, not an expert by a long way but lost a biggie with 120 lb bite trace and it is seriously upsetting:shutup::hammer:

·
Registered
2,883 Posts

As far as trace goes i use 100lb mono but with a biro empty ink tube threaded on slid down to the hook and a power gum stop knot, gives them something to bite on and not the trace.Aj.:fishing1::thumbs:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
especially when its on the surface and youve got a hold of the leader and your mates got a gaff in his hand gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:hammer:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
another bit that might help is to use short pulley rigs, mates had a lot of succes with these and use a rotten bottom and you shouldnt lose so much tackle in the rough stuff

·
Registered
229 Posts
6/0-10/0 o'shaugnessy hook ,200-250lb mono,running lead connected to a rotten bottom,use a s clip,you can then hang lead from hook making bigger baits more streamlined,35-40lb mainline ,connected to a 130lb rubbing leader by bimini twist ,Heavy leader allows for rubbing plus you can handline conger to 25lb up rocks like this ,i know i do it,
baits i use are mullet ,pout ,mackeral ,mackeral/cuttle wrap,mackeral/squid wrap,flapper, depends on your area,hope that helps

G

·
6/0-10/0 o'shaugnessy hook ,200-250lb mono,running lead connected to a rotten bottom,use a s clip,you can then hang lead from hook making bigger baits more streamlined,35-40lb mainline ,connected to a 130lb rubbing leader by bimini twist ,Heavy leader allows for rubbing plus you can handline conger to 25lb up rocks like this ,i know i do it,
baits i use are mullet ,pout ,mackeral ,mackeral/cuttle wrap,mackeral/squid wrap,flapper, depends on your area,hope that helps

Best advice so far!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts