World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is starting to get on my nerves (more than "Sufffix" and "Hemmmingway" )

the habit that has been spreading of writing about "Congers" yet not about "Cods", "Basses" or "Whitings" . Or even "Topes".

I blame it on TSF magazine - I think some of their contributors first started using it.

I wonder if it will make it to becoming the standard plural , or whether it will die out again (and "Conger" will resume being the plural of Conger) ?

There ! That feels better !

G

·

the habit that has been spreading of writing about "Congers" yet not about "Cods", "Basses" or "Whitings" . Or even "Topes".

I blame it on TSF magazine - I think some of their contributors first started using it.

I wonder if it will make it to becoming the standard plural , or whether it will die out again (and "Conger" will resume being the plural of Conger) ?

could be worse......conger's!

·
Registered
73 Posts

you dont have much to worry about do you?

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Anyone remember the Black Lace song - Ooo oo oo come on lets do the conger.

Every time I catch a conger that runs through my head - now thats annoying. And slightly worrying.

·
Spot on Ray!
37,725 Posts
fish , fishes , conger , congers........ what's the difference? :huh:

·
Registered
10,101 Posts
Anyone remember the Black Lace song - Ooo oo oo come on lets do the conger.

Every time I catch a conger that runs through my head - now thats annoying. And slightly worrying.
Even worse , when a conger gets off on the surface i need to sing.....
...`you picked a fine time to leave me loose eel'

·
Registered
987 Posts
" You've lost that rubber eel thing..Oh that Rubber eel thing... Bring back."... Anyway enough of that :fish:

CONGER is the plural pertaining to The species.. conger conger At least in my language!!

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Is the plural pouts? or pouti? pout's?:cc_surren

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fish , fishes , conger , congers........ what's the difference? :huh:
Cod, Cods what indeed?
A shoal of Mulletts to the lad.

and yes - I don't have much to worry about when lexicographical errors worry me (T-shirt slogan: shy, retiring, innocent young lass seeks Cunning Linguist for lexicographical adventures)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts