World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys was up in Portstewart doing some fishing for Mullet, caught a good one but on a different night tried for conger and took two in two nights.

I'm now hooked on conger so any advice on locations around County Down - and or tackle from shore would really be appreciated.

Cheers

Peter

·
Registered
282 Posts
Try Bangor pier ebb tide 50ib class boat rod 60ib line. 150ib mono trace to a 6/0 barbels bronze hook. And put them BACK!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always put them back:sun: Any thoughts on where off the pier - is it worth making a rubby dubby bag for them?

Cheers

PJ

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone else got any thoughts on those congers - hoping to fish on wednesday night somewhere around donaghadee / bangor area.

Cheers for any help:sun:

peter

·
Registered
6 Posts
try the back of the pier stand on the grills and fish down between the rocks
infront of you but it hit and hold so u gotta be quick dont let them run to far ..G..:bb:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
This may sound a bit mad but - there is a guy who fishes for Congers off the back of the peir at Ardglass. He is fishing between the rocks and has had a few decent ones.

To combat the Eel retreating with the bait he has a bit of broom handle on the line to stop the eel dragging the bait down a crevice, also serves as a handy way to land them.

Dont fish it in a fresh, S, E or NE as the mark is exposed.

Ryan

·
Registered
4 Posts
This may sound a bit mad but - there is a guy who fishes for Congers off the back of the peir at Ardglass. He is fishing between the rocks and has had a few decent ones.

To combat the Eel retreating with the bait he has a bit of broom handle on the line to stop the eel dragging the bait down a crevice, also serves as a handy way to land them.

Dont fish it in a fresh, S, E or NE as the mark is exposed.

Ryan
Hey I'm just new to my fishing but I've a good teacher:

A friend of mine caught a conger up at strangford a good while back, taller than him when stretched out, ended up with a few pics in magazines as well. I' m not too good on technical terms at the minute but basicaly he had a light line out to keep him amused while the heavy line was waiting on a conger. The conger took the light line and he had a hell of a fight to bring it in. Foreign fella who still fishes off strangford pier climbed down the ladder with one foot above the water and hooked it.

something I would have loved to have seen

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some feedback on Bangor Pier conger trip. Caught a very low tide (neap) as per some conger advice, late evening fishing.

The tide was so low however that we were fishing in about 1.5m of water close in. Didn't feel it was worth going out as the rocks were close to cast point. All in all no luck - two of us for about 3 hours.:crazy:

May head up to Portrush harbour where I know they do frequent. Any thoughts on whether a low tide is more important than it being dark...

Maybe I'm making some glaring errors...

Cheers

PJ

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
2,629 Posts
once you catch your first eel your hooked (pardon the pun). i fish from the shore for them almost every week. I use a Greys Apollo mrk 1 13ft rod along with a slosh30, 30lb line straight through. As for the trace i dont bother with wire i use 80lb line with a 8/0 hook. Then i pop on a nice mackie flapper and drop it in. I find eels feed more often at low water!

happy hunting!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Awrite mate you should try down at landsdown car park in portrush just up from the old life boat slip anywere along there you should get them, me and a mate fished it a couple of weeks ago in a speciec comp and had two from there just on mackerel flappers.

cheers Brown

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Landsdown point produced one small 6 and one medium conger 10 from the shore. From the slipway walk round the point about 100 yards to a rocky outcrop and fish about 5 yards out. Took both on mackeral heads.

Thanks to brown for the heads up.

Will continue to look for good marks in Northern Ireland

Peter

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Landsdown point produced one small 6 and one medium conger 10 from the shore. From the slipway walk round the point about 100 yards to a rocky outcrop and fish about 5 yards out. Took both on mackeral heads.

Thanks to brown for the heads up.

Will continue to look for good marks in Northern Ireland

Peter
Well done mate. Hope you get a few more too. :victory:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts