World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, have to run NMEA cable from GPS to ICOM and need to know how this lead is treated. i.e. do you traet it as normal cable and use standard connectors, or do you consider it coax and use special connectors?:g:

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
It is data cable, keep it simple! Hardly any current, you can get away with twisted wire and insulating tape but it would be better to solder and heat-shrink tube over. Any wire will do.

·
Registered
11,785 Posts
If I've understood the OP correctly you're asking what connectors to use to connect the cable you already have, not what cable to use to extend the run.

I used these things - which were given to me by a marine engineer

ebay: 280535470268

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
If I've understood the OP correctly you're asking what connectors to use to connect the cable you already have, not what cable to use to extend the run.

I used these things - which were given to me by a marine engineer

ebay: 280535470268
Like I said, keep it simple. Those connectors are nice but at £20 a bit OTT for joining two NMEA signal cables which will work fine if you just twist the wires together! Any means of connecting data cable will do, it is carrying data signals not electrical current so as long as there is metal touching metal it will work.

·
Registered
11,785 Posts
I think you can get them individually for a few pence - I just used the ebay thing to illustrate what I meant, not as somewhere to get them - a nice quick way of getting a secure connection - mine were FOC anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts