World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just received that mentioned rod from a guy near me, it looks very nice, in great shape, but I wondered why it was so heavy in the butt, so I took off all the shrink tube (that was put on from the end up to the first ring!), and another shrink wrap came to light; I took that one off, and there I found a steel (or alloy) butt firmly glued in - did the guy or the seller before do that, or is that rod actually one of those old rods with a metal butt? If so I thought it must be quite old, but it looks really great, being in tip top condition, which makes me believe the metal part was mounted onto another rod, maybe the Conger Special was an uptide rod before?
Any idea?
Many thanks,

Dirk

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Many years ago i had a conoflex conger rod that i used in dorset - it was built on a 9 foot glass tournament tip with two alloy butts, one was 18" for close in hard work, and the other was a 4 foot alloy butt for longer casting. Each had a spigot joint into the tip, which was cut into two pieces and spigotted for ease of transport. It caught plenty of conger up to 35lbs and was still in excellent order when i sold it to a guy in wales about 10 years ago. Alloy butts were fairly common at that time as a carbon butts were very expensive and not that common on beach rods.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mate,

thanks very much for the info; and actually very interesting, as we did not have that over here, we mainly had glass rods, so soft and thick they were a punishment to use, this metal one is slimmer and stiffer, though heavier, but then - who cares? While fighting a fish it does not matter, and a cast itself just takes a few seconds.
I guess I will keep the rod, try it once or twice and put in my collectin afterwards!
Cheers,

Dirk

·
Registered
687 Posts
used to work in a tackle shop in the channel islands and we sold loads of these and yes,they had metal butt sections.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts