World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just got myself a new Gamma 3 rod built by Conoflex the other day and have to say the build quality is absolutely appalling!! Looks like it was built by Homer & inspected by Barney!!!:drunk:

Aside from a rather dubious varnishing job I don't think more than two rings are in any kind of alignment with each other, and the first (biggest) ring is about 20 degrees out of alignment with the rest.

I've never had a problem with any Greys or Century rods - they always seem excellently finished - so has anyone else come across shoddy workmanship from a supposedly quality manufacturer? Even the label ain't on straight!:thumbdown

Lovely blank though - should have got one and had it built by my local bloke who always does a top job:doh:

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've had shoddy build quality from conoflex too, not enough attention paid to whipping, varnish or the state of the eyes used. Seen a few bent ones on rods in the shop. Yet you don't see that much on mass-produced cheaper rods.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I bought a Kompressor SS that had wonky eyes and gaps in the whipping. Poor build quality that had slipped through quality control probably in a rush to satisfy demand. Century immediately sorted it out for me delivering a new rod and picking up the old one. Its not unusual to find British rods with eyes out of alignment but the cheaper Chinese rods do seem to be better finished!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Thats why I use a laser to line rings up!!!!!

ptr

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
who built it? factory built? have you called cono-flex and spoken to them? Aiden and Steve(?) are a couple of real nice guys, and very proud of their gear, i'm sure a call will sort things out.

as fr bent rings, i'm always restraightening mine from where they're transported, maybe that a prob with bent eyes?

·
Registered
417 Posts
No I meant bent as in having taken abuse before they were whipped on, nothing like a knock from transporting to the beach. It doesn't put me off conoflex, just makes me inspect a rod a little more closely before I buy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
like crazyplumbs said mate contact conoflex,im sure they will sort it.
ive got 2 flicktips and just picked up a cobra last night and the build quality on all 3 is 2nd to none,theres always gonna be 1 or 2 that slip through the quality control and it seems you were unlucky an got one.

·
Registered
12,873 Posts
The factory is closed for holiday period until 11th August in case their phone rings out on you.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Hi all, I just got myself a new Gamma 3 rod built by Conoflex the other day and have to say the build quality is absolutely appalling!! Looks like it was built by Homer & inspected by Barney!!!:drunk:

Aside from a rather dubious varnishing job I don't think more than two rings are in any kind of alignment with each other, and the first (biggest) ring is about 20 degrees out of alignment with the rest.

I've never had a problem with any Greys or Century rods - they always seem excellently finished - so has anyone else come across shoddy workmanship from a supposedly quality manufacturer? Even the label ain't on straight!:thumbdown

Lovely blank though - should have got one and had it built by my local bloke who always does a top job:doh:
Did you buy and collect this from a shop?

This is most unlike Conoflex and you should as has been said speak to them at the first opportunity.:thumbs:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, it'll not be a problem to get sorted & I know the guys who designed the rod - I'm going to show it to them first, but as a few people have said it was more a case of being amazed that not only would someone do such a poor job of lining up the rings ( I did think at first they might have been bent in transit, but on looking closely you can see the feet are clearly out of alignment ) but that some sort of inspection / quality control didn't pick up on it.

It does seem that the cheaper & mass produced rods are always well finished (although I don't know about the quality of the blanks etc!) - I'd hate to spend upwards of £400 for a new Anubis or something and get this level of "quality".

It could be that this was one of the first of the new models rushed through as a demo model or something, and I did get it at a good price, so at the end of the day I'm not too unhappy & who knows I may even wangle a goody-bag or something as compensation!:whistling

It is the first time I've had a gripe like this though, and did wonder whether others have had similar experiences...:g:

·
12,847 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, it'll not be a problem to get sorted & I know the guys who designed the rod - I'm going to show it to them first, :
so was it a factory built rod, or did the guys who 'designed' it, build it?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so was it a factory built rod, or did the guys who 'designed' it, build it?
Yes, it was a factory built rod - just had it out this afternoon & when threading the line through found one of the small eyes on the tip I'd chosen to try out (middle one) completely clogged with high-build varnish:roll1:

It was delivered to my local tackle shop a couple of months ago - I remember having a look at it when it came in as it was one of the first shipped out of the new model with 3 quiver tips.

Lovely scratching rod as I said, but looks like it was built blindfold!

·
12,847 Posts
Yes, it was a factory built rod - just had it out this afternoon & when threading the line through found one of the small eyes on the tip I'd chosen to try out (middle one) completely clogged with high-build varnish:roll1:

It was delivered to my local tackle shop a couple of months ago - I remember having a look at it when it came in as it was one of the first shipped out of the new model with 3 quiver tips.

Lovely scratching rod as I said, but looks like it was built blindfold!

fai play then! email them (attention of aiden) and i'm retty certain he'll sort things out. they're a good bunch of guys there!

Hugh

G

·
I've read this post with some interest and I shall let you all know of my experience with Conoflex.

I had a 3 piece Nemesis Plus SLR from them and the tip split.
I spoke to Aiden and he was very nice and said he would replace the tip section. I sent the entire rod to them at a cost of £18 and waited for the return of my rod.
This took ages and when I got it back I went up the field and first cast with a 5oz lead the middle section split.
I spoke to the nice Aiden man again and sent the rod back (another £18)
Waited even longer for the rod to be returned to me this time and when it came back they had reinforced the female joints with metal bands.
I took it out determined to destroy the rod as the bottom joint was ticking. Well even with a 7oz lead the rod performed brilliantly, even with the alarming creak coming from the bottom joint every cast (which still happens).
I've now been using the rod for well over a year and it hasn't let me down yet.
Having said that after the way I was treated by Conoflex I would never buy another one of their rods again I have relented, mainly due to the fact I enjoy using the Nemesis so much that I have now gone and got a normal two piece from Spotty Dog.
I got the rod yesterday and at best I can describe the build job as basic. My main concern though is the whipping on the butt finishes 4mm short of the end.
The blank wall is incredibly thin, but I assume that it is built with modern materials that can cope without splitting.
I'm not too worried about the appearance of a rod as they are just a tool that does a job in my opinion, but there are places where the high build has been absorbed by the whipping and places where it hasn't making the build look crap. The rings are all in line, which is a bonus and I like the way they have put plenty of shrink tube on the butt.
I will be taking this rod fishing on Saturday and I will have a cast or two with a 5oz lead and work my way up to a 7oz, which is what the rod is rated for. I'll post a report on how it performs, but if it breaks or splits I will be sending it back to Spotty Dog and exchanging it for something else, I won't be messed about by Conoflex again.

Incidently, my £36 of postage was never refunded.

Watch this space.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I think I'm right in saying that most new rods do "creak" a little until the high build settles down a bit.
Yes but Concrete's 3 piece Nemesis is far from new, blasts lead and bait every week and still creaks like my knees- it's a bit disconcerting.

I can hear it creak when I'm fishing yards away from him - that's when he stops talking anyway.

G

·
Well, I decided that I wouldn't wait until Saturday and took the rod to the field this afternoon for a damned good thrashing.
I am pleased to report that it didn't break and it didn't make any untoward creaking noises.
I used my Penn 525, slightly over loaded with .40mm line, 80lb leader and a 200gram (7oz) lead.
I was almost emptying the spool and was well onto my backing line.
I had about 15 casts and I inspected the joint and whippings afterwards. They were in perfect order (even though they still look naff) with no cracking of the high build or signs of damage at the female butt joint.
What is nice is that I found it easy to cast straight, with the majority of my casts ending up only around 6 feet from the centre line.

I would just like to add that I was casting at the Ardleigh boot sale field and while I was walking and reeling, I nearly fell flat on my face due to getting tangled in someone elses crack off they'd left behind. It was a good job that I found it, as the farmer who owns the field doesn't appreciate heavy nylon and lead weights getting wrapped up in his mower. He turns a blind eye to us casting there, so long as only a few people go at a time, but if he damages his mower, I'm sure that he will ban us, so please if you crack off, don't leave until you've found it.

Just for the record it was a 125 gram DCA lead attached to a bright yellow leader and a blob knot at the other end.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts