World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright lads, ive just been offered a conoflex cod 6 for 40 sheets. Has anyone had much to do with these and if so what are they like and what ground do they suit most. Am i getting a good price for the rod, any help would be much appreciated, cheers lads..

·
Registered
784 Posts
Alright lads, ive just been offered a conoflex cod 6 for 40 sheets. Has anyone had much to do with these and if so what are they like and what ground do they suit most. Am i getting a good price for the rod, any help would be much appreciated, cheers lads..
A rod from the 80's, suits rough ground.

I would say it is worth the £40 if in reasonable condition, not a bad price to own a conoflex.

Gaz

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
One of my mates at work got hold of 1 last year after somebody cleared there garage out.He was'nt sure of what to make of the cod 6.To my knowledge it is a old classic that in its day was the nuts,not being a expert on beachcasters to me it was a stiff old rod and a pretty hefty lump.Would'nt like to put a price on it,hopefully somebody whos used 1 will be along soon and be a bit more help.Ah Gaz has beaten me while i was typing :laugh:.

Ian

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
i got a cod 6 hand built by carroll mcmanus inthe 80 and it says "cod 6 the stiff one" very powerful rod and i think it was one of the first to do seriously big distances on the field ....very stiff very powerful and very heavy by todays standards with an aliminium butt ....great rough ground rod still use mine occasionally when i wanna chuck huge(1/2lb plus cuttles) off dungie in the winter and its probably the only time i can put a bend in it when casting lol

i would ask your mate to lend it to you 1st so you can have a go then decide as they aint eveyones cup of tea and £40 is about the right money for a decent usable one

hope this helps

jay

·
Registered
121 Posts
nver had one when they first come out as in the eighties a used a coneflex dc8 as most of the lads i fished with did as well those were the bees knees at the time, well i sold all my gear (like an idiot ) an did not fish for bout 12 years when a done a come back and was stunned when seen the prices of fishin gear and all a could afford was a second hand cod 6 which a used for eighteen months and done the business for me so a would say go for it but try and have a few casts first just to make sure it suits your style, as for the price as long as rings in fair condition its not a bad price

hope that helps mate

·
Registered
15,499 Posts
Get it.... My m8 bought one in 1983, and has used it for rough ground work since then, he also uses it to go Codding off Spurn point where it certainly does the business .. I recently re-built it for him, the re-build cost £40.00 for the rings, high build, reel seat, shrink tube grip etc, but it is now like a new rod........... so your £40.00 is a good price.

Dave :clap3:

·
Registered
8,843 Posts
Hi mate
I believe the original had an aluminium butt, but the last ones had semi carbon butt.As already said a very stiff rod meant for heavy ground as with most conoflex's not a bad fishing tip.

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
When I started fishing in the mid 1980's the Cod 5 and Cod 6 were the dogs danglies of rods.

Things have move on since then but for £40 I'd bite his hand off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.