World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all really hoping someone can help here as I am so upset by this …. Basically i was given a conoflex rod by my grandad just before he passed away as think he knew I would appreciate such a rod after telling him about my passion for the sport and my tales of fishing …he told me it was a quality rod which I could see considering I was using very cheap tackle at the time and only needed an eye or two replacing which was fine so I kept the rod safe as I treasured it a lot but when he passed I decided to make use of it so went to get the eyes done at a fishing shop in Colchester Essex spoke to owner and he said pick it up two days so I went back to the shop then and it was cleared totally of everything in the shop no letter on door explaining anything no one to contact at all I was so shocked that I’d lost the top section of the one thing my grandad gave me words cannot express how I felt and no way of contacting anyone about it the only thing I was told by a local guy who uses the shop I worked with at the time said he had a heart attack boat fishing I asked around no info leads etc so does anyone know what happened to all that tackle in the shop at Colchester I can’t have been the only person who lost things there ? And also can I get a top section for it from conoflex or are they out of business now? Or have one made is it going to cost a lot but if it does it would be worth it to make it whole again but I have tried seeing if I have a top section that would fit in my other rods to no avail and I don’t know how to measure the rods flexibility and what it should be I could try put photo up as I don’t know the model from what I remember just says conoflex in black red please help and sorry for the long reading … thankyou

·
Registered
21,537 Posts
Hello all really hoping someone can help here as I am so upset by this …. Basically i was given a conoflex rod by my grandad just before he passed away as think he knew I would appreciate such a rod after telling him about my passion for the sport and my tales of fishing …he told me it was a quality rod which I could see considering I was using very cheap tackle at the time and only needed an eye or two replacing which was fine so I kept the rod safe as I treasured it a lot but when he passed I decided to make use of it so went to get the eyes done at a fishing shop in Colchester Essex spoke to owner and he said pick it up two days so I went back to the shop then and it was cleared totally of everything in the shop no letter on door explaining anything no one to contact at all I was so shocked that I’d lost the top section of the one thing my grandad gave me words cannot express how I felt and no way of contacting anyone about it the only thing I was told by a local guy who uses the shop I worked with at the time said he had a heart attack boat fishing I asked around no info leads etc so does anyone know what happened to all that tackle in the shop at Colchester I can’t have been the only person who lost things there ? And also can I get a top section for it from conoflex or are they out of business now? Or have one made is it going to cost a lot but if it does it would be worth it to make it whole again but I have tried seeing if I have a top section that would fit in my other rods to no avail and I don’t know how to measure the rods flexibility and what it should be I could try put photo up as I don’t know the model from what I remember just says conoflex in black red please help and sorry for the long reading … thankyou
:( I might be wrong but it sounds like financial problems. Same thing happened to me. A shop owed me money and he said the partner was needed to sign the cheques but he was abroad ATM but when he came back he'd get a cheque signed for me and I could pick it up next time I passed. Next time I passed the shop was shut and empty. I later heard that he was selling the contents from his house and online, I never did get my money and his "partner" now has another shop. Personally I don't think his "partner" knew what he'd done but I'll never be sure. :(

·
Joined 2009
15,392 Posts
…you could try companies house anyone can access it for free look the place up on the internet. Prob get a name of the cad !! 90% there then go pay your respects.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thats a bummer.
Conoflex stopped trading sometime ago. They used to have a business in Crowborough, near me, but they are no longer around. I have couple of their rods & even though they are old, they never leave my sight as I value how good they are.

About the guy who ripped you off.
If the business traded as a limited company, you can get information of the directors from Companies House. You may need to pay to get the information. It used to be free, but we get screwed for everything nowadays. If he is listed, his address will be there. Issue a summons to sue him. He is still liable as a director, it doesn't impart immunity being one.

If he's a sole trader & you know his name, look him up in the Electors Register at your local library. His details & address will be there. Might also be worth checking with the local council tax or VOA office, as they might give you his home address. Once again, if you have his details, issue a summons to sue him. The fees aren't onerous & you can use the quick scheme to get redress easily.

I've done this a few times when you come up against people that lack morals & are dishonest. I got good results every time. If you need more info, please PM me.

BTW, Conoflex made rods for other businesses, like Brent, so you might find another rod under those names.

Good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thankyou for all you’re messages about this I was shocked too that it was cleared so quickly you wouldn’t have believed it could be done it’s like they got a truck and piled it all in and guess where money is involved if he owed lots they (whoever it was like debt collectors ) could have taken anything and everything I shall try to make the rod whole again one way or another if anything it’s made me take more care of my fishing equipment myself maybe there’s a lesson there but I think about it often …I never got to use it once but I am glad I kept the bottom section. I keep everything to be honest and found some real treasures when I moved house , split canes even a hardy reel from 1920-30s in my eyes it’s art and history many mates think I’m sad as still kind of young but when I think of fishing it’s more than just a passion it’s memories of family and being out in nature instead of on a computer (nothing wrong with computers just I think that many have lost touch with nature and how it helps you’re health etc . I shall try to post a picture if anyone knows the era of that model you never know. I appreciate your kind words and help… tight lines buddy’s 😊

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have just taken a few photos of the butt section and let me know what you guys think of the model ? What tip top section does it need to work properly if I get one made? Also I just found this picture and swear that looks like my top section as remember my grandad saying his ring scratching upon casting but many people probably had same issue but I just have a feeling you know 🤔 have msgd him to see if he still has them to buy it back hopefully 🙏

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks 👍If there is could you tell me where it is available? Or if the owner of such a rod could get in touch even to let me know the model and if they want to sell rod also 😉😊

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That’s great if you can I would appreciate it very much pm me if there’s contact details involved. Also I found a lot more rods I forgot about totally (loft) and some of them are very interesting to say the least bamboo sea rods?? (With screw in large eye on butt section )At first I thought it could have been a throwing stick until I found the top section (if anyone has heard of that before ? ) in the good old days where there was cod a plenty and a small Chuck was all that was needed

·
Registered
21,537 Posts
…you could try companies house anyone can access it for free look the place up on the internet. Prob get a name of the cad !! 90% there then go pay your respects.
:)I actually know the partners name and details but I don't think he knew what was happening as he was abroad a lot. £120 not worth the hassle if he didn't know about it as he is a pretty decent bloke. Not sure they were partners, he was probably just the manager, if I'm wrong, my bad luck. :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I actually know the partners name and details but I don't think he knew what was happening as he was abroad a lot. £120 not worth the hassle if he didn't know about it as he is a pretty decent bloke. Not sure they were partners, he was probably just the manager, if I'm wrong, my bad luck. :(

Hi Norm b 👋 thanks for you’re input.. does that mean you have an idea of what happened. I wouldn’t go to such trouble for any old rod I am just trying to get the rod complete again as it is the sentimental value more than anything. The guy who I spoke to was a nice guy and had a good chat with him I was just left upset and confused about it all when I went back… I wouldn’t have any bad feeling towards anyone if I was told what happened as it’s old news I suppose but even if I have to pay I will be able to use the rod again 🙏 if I have misunderstood anything you said I apologise many thanks

·
Registered
9,083 Posts
Take it your Essex then?
Meta-Lites Walton on the Naze was the home of conoflex rods Richard has sold shop on but think still does the building there/home you can look him up on Bum(face) Book Richard Holgate he will know and if can source tip etc

1 - 20 of 21 Posts