World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow, (depending on the weather) Paid4 & I are going out on "Cleavage" to see if there are any fish left in the sea!;)
He has bought live ragworm, frozen sandeels, frozen mackerel, & he is going to look for crab as well!:yeah:
I am taking sandeel that has been opened & refrozen, razorfish that was collected last Autumn, some of which has been refrozen twice or more, frozen black lug I bought from Mainwarings at least 3yrs ago & has been out & back several times, & some salted frozen ragworm I had left over from a trip down the pier just after Xmas, now that lot should be :yucky:!
I am working on the assumption, that most of what fish eat, is dead & decaying, & that they are opportunist eaters who will eat anything that comes their way, dead or alive! Bass will take a lump of mackerel just as well as taking them "on the run", turbot will chase a sandeel but also take a dead one that washes past, pollack will eat anything as will cod, flatties will eat anything! thats why they go for orange & yellow beads (they represent the beans & sweetcorn that come out of the outfall):yucky:
So we will have the answer to the long debated question, what is the difference between, fresh & frozen baits!
blueskip

·
Registered
12,163 Posts
sounds like a very scientific test and I'm sure the results will put you in the running for a nobel prize for science!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Due to the arrival of a SW wind, the venue has been changed to the shore!:g: So the REAL test might have to be put on hold until the next boat trip, but I will use 2 rods today, 1 with fresh(ish) bait, the other with the mortifying refrozen stuff,:yucky: & see if it makes any difference!;)
blueskip

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Due to the arrival of a SW wind, the venue has been changed to the shore!:g: So the REAL test might have to be put on hold until the next boat trip, but I will use 2 rods today, 1 with fresh(ish) bait, the other with the mortifying refrozen stuff,:yucky: & see if it makes any difference!;)
blueskip

will be interesting to find out,as i've some of the oldest mankiest bait known to man residing in the freezer at the moment:blink:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
that conger i had out of the mersey came to SCABY SMELLY lug/mack that had been in and out of the freezer for 3 years so there might be something to this debate

·
Severn Area Rescue
12,366 Posts
i was having a sort out of bait last weekend and when i went into the shed yesterday to get bait i noticed a mank smell and a pack of sandeels left on the side, took them anyway and the dogs dident mind they still took them before they could hit the bottom

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Might have a problem - the Rag I bought has turned to mulch in the fridge overnight:(

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Might have a problem - the Rag I bought has turned to mulch in the fridge overnight:(
Get your arse in gear & get some more before 5pm! you even have time to go & DIG some(remember doing that)? Get small ones as well, I am only using size 1 & 2!:whistling:
blueskip
PS My really manky bait is now in a sack with a housebrick, to be used as groundbait!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shall we say that the result today was "inconclusive", 3 palm size turbot each, but Paid4 also had a palm sized small eyed ray as well!:g:
All his were on fresh mackerel belly strip, mine came on smelly razor fish, & mortifying refrozen black lug!:yucky:
So we will have to wait until the weather improves before we can try again on the boat, it will be identical rigs, with different baits, cant get it any fairer than that! I will also try Berkeley Gulp, Fish n Strips, & Lazy Lug!
Any chance I can get a grant from the Lottery Heritage Fund for all this research?
blueskip

G

·
Shall we say that the result today was "inconclusive", 3 palm size turbot each, but Paid4 also had a palm sized small eyed ray as well!:g:
All his were on fresh mackerel belly strip, mine came on smelly razor fish, & mortifying refrozen black lug!:yucky:
So we will have to wait until the weather improves before we can try again on the boat, it will be identical rigs, with different baits, cant get it any fairer than that! I will also try Berkeley Gulp, Fish n Strips, & Lazy Lug!
Any chance I can get a grant from the Lottery Heritage Fund for all this research?
blueskip
apply to swansea uni as the name.( him want grant)should get it then vic:notworthy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts