World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Although I've been course and game fishing for nearly twenty years I've never really done any sea fishing until last year when I went on a boat trip out of Amlwch North Wales and loved it! Wish I'd done it years ago. I'm now looking to buy my first rod & reel for this years trip and was hoping someone could give me a recommendation. The type of fish we caught last time ranged from mackerel through to Bull Huss rays and Pollock to low double figures. I've always been a sporting angler so a recommendation on the lighter side would be greatly appreciated! I don't want to spend too much probably only about £125 in total.

·
Registered
423 Posts
hi and first of welcome to the site!!!
will you be boat fishing often or just once a year?
if your fishing often i would go for a Abu 7000 and a 6ft or 7ft rod (up to you what sort, depends were you get it from!!!) but if you are just fishing once or twice a year i would look at getting a combo set (rod and reel)
have a look at these websites:
http://www.gerrysfishing.com/
http://mikestackleshop.com/
http://www.bowlersangling.co.uk/

these are all good websites but you can also look on ebay!!!
best of luck to you and i hope you do well on your trip!!!
beefcake

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi dustybryn
If you are wanting some great fishing tackel your best bet is at Gerrys at Morcambe or theres is a good shop in Wigan called north west angling I have ordered tackle from the ebay but you have got to look at the postage as this can bring the price hire than the shops and got no come back if any thing happens
to the tackel,so i wood look at the shop prices, I got a good rod and real at Gerrys for less than £150

Tommy James

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi dustybryn

I'd agree an ABU 7000 would be ideal for your requirements. Personally I would recomend an uptider of around 9-10 foot. It may not have the lifting power of a shorter rod but it will easily handle the fish you intend catching, and its a bit more sporting, giving the fish a chance to fight. Another advantage is that this setup would also alow you to fish from the shore if a boat trip was blown off.

If your on a tight budget I would recomend you economise on the rod not the reel. Cheap reels can rust and corrode very quickly in a salty environment, but quality ones go on for years.

Hope this helps

Regards
Osprey

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much for this. What do you think of the following as a combination?

Maxximus solid carbon boat rod 20 -40 lb £59.99 + p&p
Abu 'Seven' multiplier £52.99 + p&p

The advert says the ABU 'seven' is virtually the same as the 7000, is there any truth in this?

Cheers,

Bryn

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Someone is going to correct me I am sure, but I believe that the Abu 7 runs on bushes, whereas the 7000 runs on bearings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all, ended up with a nearly new ABU Ambassadeur 7000 and new maxximus 20 -40 rod. I was considering filling it with red ice line, is this stuff any good? Coming from a freshwater background the idea of a bright red line seems daft!!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I use Maxima Chamelion as my main line, and flurocarbon for all my snoods and as main line for my spinning rods. Don't see the need for coloured lines, there must be situations when fish can see them and the way I fish I can use every advantage I can get. The maxima is a brown/green coloured line that seens to change colour at different angles of light. Been using it for years and no complaints so that is habbit I suppose. The fluro carbon is supposed to be nearly invisible under water.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Aaaaaaargh Red Ice don't go there m8 tried using it and all I got was horrendus tangles and I've heard the same sort of stories from other people. Red has the shortest wavelength of all colours and so is the first to disappear when it gets any depth away from the sunlight so it's not quite as daft as it sounds just choose another make. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts