World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How easy and messy is to Cooked frozen octopus. My friend said if too much messy or to hard to cook she buy it when go shopping tomorrow or morriosns.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Seen many frown upon it. But if it has to be one sea food as favourite. It will probably be octopus much nicer than calamari. It similar to.cleaning squid to be honest. Clean the inside etc ( i would use coarse salt and rub it all over as this seem to clean all off) remove hard bits. Thereafter pressure cook it till its soft. (If not pressure cooked) it gona be chewy (rubbery). From now on cook it the way you like ie seafood , meat or chicken etc

·
13,170 Posts
I tried it for the 1st time a couple of weeks ago. Boiled it for an hour (ordinary saucepan). Then a quick fry in olive oil, with garlic.

·
Registered
10,102 Posts
:thumbs:
I thought that to do it properly you had to have a little old Greek lady slap the octopus on a rock for 3 days !

I do like stewed octopus and a bit of crusty bread !

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just don't do what No 1 daughter and I did a couple of years ago, having bought an octopus as part of a seafood dinner. We bought the octopus, plus various other exotics from a supermarket, put it on to cook while we shelled the mussels, sorted the clams, opened the wine, etc. etc. Only, we hadn't checked that it had been gutted,- well, actually, we assumed it had been, but it hadn't, and by the time we looked to see if it was cooked, it resembled a football, and was in imminent danger of exploding! The tentacles were very nice, though, but I reckon if it had been in the pan a couple more minutes, it would have been all over the ceiling!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
My mate says he got the best recipe for octopus, make a stew, cut up loads of fresh vev, put in a pan with the octopus, boil for 2 hours , take out the octopus throw it in the bin and eat the veg?? ha says YUM, YUM.

·
Banned
2,708 Posts
We use the arms/legs only.

Cut them with a sharp knife into segments 1-1.5cm thick & simmer them in cheap dry white wine with herbes de provence & 2 crushed cloves of garlic for at least an hour, leave to cool, then add extra thyme & basil and cover with cheap brandy. Leave it marinading for 24 hours.

Drain the marinade into a jug. Flour the lightly salted segments & sauté them in a pan with olive oil, then place in a serving dish in a heated (100°C) oven. Melt approx 120gm of butter in a pan, add a heaped dessertspoonful of semolina or coarse ground dirham wheat flour & stir until it becomes stiff. Slowly add the marinade whilst stirring over gentle heat (don't let it boil) until you have added sufficient to prevent the sauce from thickening.

Pour the sauce over the segments & serve hot, with anything but chips.............

·
Banned
2,845 Posts

Cut them with a sharp knife into segments 1-1.5cm thick & simmer them in cheap dry white wine with herbes de provence & 2 crushed cloves of garlic for at least an hour, leave to cool, then add extra thyme & basil and cover with cheap brandy. Leave it marinading for 24 hours.

Drain the marinade into a jug. Flour the lightly salted segments & sauté them in a pan with olive oil, then place in a serving dish in a heated (100°C) oven. Melt approx 120gm of butter in a pan, add a heaped dessertspoonful of semolina or coarse ground dirham wheat flour & stir until it becomes stiff. Slowly add the marinade whilst stirring over gentle heat (don't let it boil) until you have added sufficient to prevent the sauce from thickening.

Pour the sauce over the segments & serve hot, with anything but chips.............
hi para
sorry ,dont mean to be picky , but its durum wheat
Dave

·
Registered
8,042 Posts

Sounds nice, i had a wood board of pulpo a la gallega on Saturday night, a basket of bread and a jug of "tinto"......lovely

·
Banned
2,708 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
i love my grub,i enjoy cooking,and seafood is fav,but these recipes are using a lot of ingredients [costly] for something thats tasteless and as chewy as a truck tyre !Octopus is an indestructable bait though, even crabs give up !

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
i love my grub,i enjoy cooking,and seafood is fav,but these recipes are using a lot of ingredients [costly] for something thats tasteless and as chewy as a truck tyre !Octopus is an indestructable bait though, even crabs give up !
You need to find someone who knows how to prepare and cook it.....Doesn't sound like the "pulpo" i know.:doh:

·
Registered
182 Posts
tenderise it first and dont cook for too long or it will get tough,i drop mine in boiling water when water returns to boil tip octopus in sink and run under cold tap.when cooled i cut mine in chunks and add it to a oil garlic and chilli sauce mix and leave in fridge overnight

·
Registered
180 Posts
Morrisons octopus is crap its like rubber when cooked if you can get it from a fish market all The better I add 3 large bay leaves a medium size onion and a teaspoon of seasalt in to a large saucepan of boiling water Cook for 20 mins per kg . I serve it cut up in to approx 1/2" slices with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil a pinch of seasalt and a sprincle of hot paprika. This is one of the spanish styles of cooking octopus. Ive had it in Turkey on the barbecue but it reminded me of pirelli' finest

1 - 20 of 23 Posts