World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me the best way to cook some luvly bass???? how long/ how hot/ any added bits n pieces???

cheers Fishy

·
Registered
15 Posts
I do mine foil wrapped in the oven, 150ish degrees for about 1/2 hour or so sometimes with a few slices of lemon or orange but mostly just the fish. I usually take Bass between 1 1/2 to 2 pounds for eating and I find 1/2 hour is enough. :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I always used to cook fish in the oven (the old way) e.g wrapped in t/foil etc etc, then started chuckin it in the micro oven.......jeeeez, u get a far better tasting bit o kipper from the micro, no dried up flesh, better flavours. try it im sure you will like it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
take the fillets fry them in a pan with some olive oil chopped red peppers and a couple o chopped garlic cloves season wi salt and black pepper . simple and tasty.
i have also cooked it in the oven found the recipe on the net was that famous cook off the tv s the guy who usually does fish and tours the country in a landrover wi his wee dug.it was nice but i reckon its better fried.
enjoy! :)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Steamed whole (less guts of course) on a bed of lemon grass
The fish stays nice and moist.
MMMMMMMMMM!!!
:cool:

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Whole gutted bass with fennel tops and thinly sliced fresh ginger in the cavity.
Very gently baked in a medium oven. Quality....
Terry F. :)

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Bake the bigger ones with your selection of herbs or spices - try ginger garlic and sesame oil, take foil off for the last stages of cooking and the skin crisps up lovely if this oil is used or smaller ones grill gently with a minimum of fuss-salt pepper and maybe a light drizzle of olive oil, they taste so good especially if very fresh they really don't need too much messing around-serve with fresh lemon or even better lime and new potatoes. God i'm drooling I gotta go to the beach and see if I can't get one for breakfast ;)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Pack it in lads. I've just had breakfast but you're still making me hungry. Mind you it's given me an idea for a TV programme, "The Fishing Chef". If I appear in it I'll call it "Blanker in the Kitchen".

·
Registered
158 Posts
The best way i have found is to fillet them slash the skin in about three places across the fillet rub the flesh with a little lemon or lime a hint of chilli and some salt and pepper.
Put a good knob of butter in a frying pan and add a touch of olive oil(it stops the butter burning) when the butter turns light brown place the fillets in there skin side down cook for three to four minutes then turn thye fillets over and cook for about two minutes.Serve on a new potato and fennel salad with a twist of lemon.
In case you were wondering i've been a chef for eight years.
Hope this helps.
Alternitivley you can gut it leave it whole rub the cavity with lemon salt and pepper wrap in tin foil then place it on the bbq tastes nice.

·
Registered
325 Posts
And you keep telling us you blank all the time. You're just protecting you favourite marks. Shame on you Poacher. And please don't reply with hee, hee, hee.

Fred

·
Registered
73 Posts
The ultimate Bass recipe in my humble opinion is from Rick Stein, basically you roast par boiled and sliced potatoes, red peppers, a dozen cloves of garlic, a drained tin of anchovies all covered with fresh oregano or marjoram, half pint of chicken stock and a load of Saffron (thats the expensive bit) for 45min at 180C then place the bass over it all and bake for a further 35 min. There you have it perfection, the great thing about this recipe is that every thing is cooked and presented in one dish. :)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
fred now,(come on} a hee hee hee never harmed anybody, and believe it or not i always share my good fishing marks if i catch, and people go there then, but guess wot, when i blank, nobody seems to go to them spots at all,mmmmmmmm, " funny that"

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'll tell you what Poach, once the "Antis" have finished with shooting and fishing they might start on hee, hee, heeing. They seem to be against any form of pleasure. I wonder where nookie stands in their list of do nots.

Have a good day

Fred

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
Barbecued Bass
4oz butter
4 level teaspoon dried dill weed
rind and juice of a lemon
3lb Bass
3 fl oz white wine

mix the butter with the dill weed and lemon rind and season to taste. Roll it up, wrap in foil and leave to set in the fridge. 2-3 hours.

Place the fish in the centre of a large piece of foil.

Cut the flavoured butter into slices and discard the foil after cutting.

Place the butter slices inside the belly of the fish. Sprinkle the outside with salt and pepper and slowly pour over the wine and juice.

Package the fish upo in the foil so the wine and juice do not escape. Then straight on the Barby for 45 mins. Shaggy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts