World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I run a Merry Fisher 655.

Any suggestions for cool boxes to keep fish from "going over " during a days fishing ?

Friend of mine has an "Igloo" but it's way too big for my boat.

·
Registered
21,537 Posts

Any suggestions for cool boxes to keep fish from "going over " during a days fishing ?

:fishing: Look in the classifieds section here, there's a few going about. :fishing:

·
Registered
3,492 Posts

Igloo make more than one size, as do Coleman. Whatever you buy, get one with a minimum 5-day claim, such as Coleman Extreme and don't mess about with cooler blocks, either freeze down milk cartons or fill it with ice.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
£44.99 on amazon for the 3 ,,, had mine 2 years ,works great and a good size .. u need to buy the icepacks to go in it ,,,,, keeps frozen all day , and you get a little cool box for your butties and a flask for cold drinks ,,,,,, bargain ,,,,,:thumbs:

Got a couple of these the other week from a camping shop got 2 for £50 . Shop around to find a bargain. Used mine all weekend camping kept the beers nice and cold using a couple of frozen 2litre drink bottles

·
Registered
2,970 Posts

I have a 242lt Igloo on my 695 and it is spot on.
It and my livebait tank sit perfectly on the bathing platform leaving the cockpit completely clear.

They are held in place with baby ratchet straps to "D rings" fitted to the transom. Don't need to be strapped over tight just enough to stop them sliding off.
A few ice packs or on a four or five day trip a couple of boxes of crushed ice sees fish filleted and in there staying fresh as a daisy through the whole trip.
The bigger boxes also have a drain bung which is very useful for longer trips and for if you bleed your catch as the blood simply runs out of the bung and off the platform.

·
Registered
100 Posts
on the coolant, use either a standard "pet" 2/4 litre bottle, coke lemonade, 90% full of water and overnighted in the freezer or a flat 5litre milk carton 90% full which has more volume and will not roll, also fits in a smaller freezer box for transfer into a full sizer.

Finally if you forget your drinking water this gives you a reserve supply of cool clear water (that reminds me of a song.....)

·
Registered
258 Posts
By far the best on the market are the Icey-Tek range or the newer YETI coolers sold by www.coolboxesuk.co.uk

Which is why most charter boats have them on board. They make a huge range of sizes. I had my first one years ago. When I got married in June we had a family barbie in the garden, I left a load of beers and ice in the box when we went on honeymoon. When we got back there was still ice in the box - 6 days later! and it had been standing in the sun all that time.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks to the OP for the thread and also stevethebin for the link.
Ordered the 20Kg Deluxe reusable box on the 7th and was delivered today.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
By far the best on the market are the Icey-Tek range or the newer YETI coolers sold by www.coolboxesuk.co.uk
...except you can't move them when they're full, and the lids are hinged (hinges break, or you can open them properly when they're hard against the side of the boat. The commericals use saeplast boxes for a good reason!

·
Registered
258 Posts
...except you can't move them when they're full, and the lids are hinged (hinges break, or you can open them properly when they're hard against the side of the boat. The commericals use saeplast boxes for a good reason!
Why can't you move them when they're full? I have no problem moving mine when it's full, it's got rope handles at either end - easy to drag or to pick up by two people. The hinges are pretty much bullet proof, so they won't break - I've never heard of a hinge breaking on an Icey-Tek, and a lot of charter boats around the UK have been using them for years.
Saeplast containers are designed for commercial use, where they use a hauler to remove them from the deck - not ideal for a small fishing boat, you certainly wouldn't be able to move one of those if it were full. But they do make a 70L version, which is just about right for small boat owners - the only problem being that you have a lid, which has to be taken off and stored to put fish in it - not ideal in a limited space.
They are very good boxes though.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Thanks to the OP for the thread and also stevethebin for the link.
Ordered the 20Kg Deluxe reusable box on the 7th and was delivered today.
They look good on the site. Are they tough enough? Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Why can't you move them when they're full? I have no problem moving mine when it's full, it's got rope handles at either end - easy to drag or to pick up by two people.
How big is it though? Small ones (<100L) I agree, not a problem, but a decent sized one like my 220L saeplast are simply way too heavy to lift when full...and also need to be tied to the boat to stop them moving round of their own accord and causing damage when it's lumpy. The Saeplasts have bombproof tie-down holes.

But they do make a 70L version, which is just about right for small boat owners - the only problem being that you have a lid, which has to be taken off and stored to put fish in it - not ideal in a limited space.They are very good boxes though.
The lid's not a problem, you simply undo the front two staps and fit the back two on loosely to allow it to 'hinge'. The removable lid is useful in that you can take it off totally to work in the box for an extended time without worrying about a hinged lid slapping shut on you accidentally.

·
Registered
251 Posts
We went fishing yesterday and used the 20 kg deluxe reusable box supplied by JB Packaging. With 4 pints of frozen salty water, it kept the four 2lb bass we kept nicely chilled. I was a bit concerned about losing the lid in a gust of wind and will think of a way of attaching it to the box.
It seems to have a sprayed on coating on the styrene and didn't suffer any damage. I washed it out ready for the next trip. It seems pretty durable and hopefuly will last for a while.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts