World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
It's some what debatable if there is any actual difference between copolymer and mono. Mono is short for mono filament - its means it's made as a single strand. Copolymer effectively means that the filament (line) is made of some blend of plastics and materials that make the plastic more flexible or harder etc. Even the term nylon doesn't give much away as there are several form of that available too.

Braid is formed from many strands of very fine materials - sometimes of several types.

In principle braid will always out cast mono type line for the same poundage as it is both lighter and thinner. The main catch is line twist. This can be something of a problem with braid even if quality swivels are used. I personally would never use if for spinning but some do claim that it can be used for this.

John

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
What are the pro's & cons with fishing with copolymer as apposed to mono, fluoro or braid from the shore and what purposes would you use it for i.e. spinning?
Hey Pugs. I have just been using the GREYSLINE co-polymer, which I bought in an Essex shop for about a tenner fo 800 odd yads. Its 15lb B.S., but only 0.32 diameter, so it really does make a difference to the casting. I was worried that it would get beaten up too quickly, as I am fishing a lot, but, apart from one unexpected snap which of course was when I was attached to a decent fish (Thornback) I have found it quite excellent. And that snap could have happened to any line, as I had been fishing across shingle bas the trip before. So, I would recommend it, on the multiplier. On the fixed-spool, or for close work, I would go Braid every time, but always with a 35 foot leader of nylon.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Fog french nylon might still be about somewhere. That ones interesting if you want a stiffish line that knots well. The term mono came from nylon monofilament. I strongly suspect that most lines on on the market are copolymers. There are also at least 6 forms of nylon available from the plastics industry. (may be 8 now I haven't done much with plastics for a long time.)

John

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
What are the pro's & cons with fishing with copolymer as apposed to mono, fluoro or braid from the shore and what purposes would you use it for i.e. spinning?
i find that copolimers are suppler and smoother than regular mono,s this is supposed to increase its casting properties.

as main line i have used nothing else for years.

i find it also has less memmory and wont coil on the spool as much.

i still like braid on my spinning reels though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts