World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my Wanted advert in the Free Ad's for 20 litres of cyanide, which I'd planned to release into the North Sea to see if there was actually anything in there went unanswered - I decided there was nothing else to it but to try again. Fishing that is.

So after much poring over tidal flow, admiralty charts, ouija boards and the like I'd decided my best chance of a bend in my rod was either King Street in Yarmouth or a covert operation in the Sea Life Centre.

Undeterred I pressed on and decided upon a bit of shameless report chasing, albeit one a couple of weeks out of date.
So my thanks goes to you Mr Steve Smith.

Arrived at the secret Suffolk rock mark around 7'ish with the flood just underway. Never fished the place before and once down the steps from the cliff I didn't have a clue where to go. Rocks, old Groynes and walkways all over the place.
So acting upon a brilliant piece of advice from one of our Euro Cousins down at Brighton Marina a few weeks back I decided to plonk down on some steps directly to the right of what looked suspiciously like a 'sheeet pipe', or in modern English, a Waste Water Recycling Centre Outlet Point.

With a slight waft of second hand Chicken Tikka Massala and 13 naan breads in the air I was away fishing. With the tripod jammed into the steps I had my 1.75tc Barbel rod with a 2oz inline lead above a fancy Sole rig about 10 yards from the 'sheeet pipe' and the Carp rod with a similar contraption to the right of the old groyne.

Crabs.

More Crabs.

As the flat sea was a starting to beat up the 1m beach I was getting a bit of splash back from the rocks and uneasy feeling about the spot I'd chosen.
Time for a move. All of 20 yards to the North and the other side of the aforementioned pipe.
Managed to get settled in on a nice bit of concrete and all was well just before dark proper, except that is I wasn't paying attention to the Barbel Rod, the lead had been pushed round onto the pipe. Bang goes about £10's worth of poncy rig. Sheeeet.
No more Barbel rod. I don't think rods that light can really handle the open sea however flat as you can't quite get enough lead out there to hold, back in the bag.
Out with the beachcaster. Much Better.

Crabs.

Then joy, a bite, then despair, a 6inch slime ball intent on poncy rig murder and successful.

More Eels.

I quite like Eels but after half a dozen or so the ol patience was wearing thin.

More Eels, into double figures now. Desperate.

The slime had cleared by around 10'ish as had the crabs, my bait was doing a pretty good job of vanishing too.

Whilst contemplating some of the things I've done in the past which might of brought me this kind of run of luck such as accidentally shooting my neighbour's cat with an air rifle, wiring my art teachers exhaust to the fence and similar I noticed a jagging knock on the beachcaster. More bouncing knocks.
Upon striking I was met with very little resistance but some, expecting a crab or another Elver I had the rod under my arm all casual winching the bloody thing in.
The leader knot was already on the reel when all hell broke loose and the thing went beserk, all over the shop, left then right towards the steps to the pipe. Sheeet.
I was trying to keep some sort of pressure on it whilst reaching for the landing net and get the rod between my legs I must of looked like Kenneth Williams trying to get over a fence.
Then just as I'd gotten a bit sorted the dreaded solid then the grating and chaffing, the 'thing' had gotten me round what looked to be the base of the steps to the pipe. And ping.
No more hooklink and no more thing.

I figure it was either a good Bass of 4lb's or so or more than likely a Smoothound of a similar size.

Swearing, some new, some old, some even in foreign languages. I'd gotten as far as Mandarin when I noticed the Carp rod jagging.

Ahh bugger it I'm having a ***.

Ciggie finished the rod was still away and with a little more vigour resulting in a double shot of Sole [email protected] 32cm and the other @33.
I had to sit and look at them to remember what to do next.

With both rods out I had to wait about 10 mins and they were both away. [email protected] on the Carp rod and lovely fish of just about 38 on the beachcaster.

With the time just past midnight that was the lot as far as bites went. I fished out the rest of the tide till 1a.m'ish without further calamity, a miracle.

I made plans to head out there again tonight but due to Lowestoft and Yarmouth being a bait desert this afternoon my plans were thwarted. Tonight has surely got to be the perfect Sole night.
I'll head down there tomorrow night I reckon with some proper bait..

Cheers. Dan T.

Where: ? plenty of clues, more in the photos....

When: 10/08/2009 - 19:00 - 01:00

Bait: Well, Rag and Blacks due to the lack of blow lug from Gorleston Tackle. The Rag were good but the blacks at £5.50 a wrap were shockers, maybe the worst yet. At 5.50 I expect each worm to come fitted with Garmin. I could hardly get these buggers on the hooks. Horrible floppy stuff that masks the point. Un-useable really.
Thats how it goes I suppose, shame as Gorleston Tackle are one of the best shops in the area.
I had to rely on some of Framlinghams frozen finest from last Spring to get me through.
Reckon I might of had a few more with fresh Lug

Distance: 0-40 yards at a guess.
Sea: Flat with a bit of colour.
Wind: None but a bit of drizzle off and on.
Result: 4 nice Sole, a thing and around a dozen snot balls.

Sorry about the Sole picture. Could'nt get the bloody flash to run.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi dan well done mate, I always like reading your reports and that was a cracker.:1a: You somehow manage to put into words exactly how it was and by reading the report its like we were all there with you laughing at your kenneth williams impression:whistling and experiencing the essence of tikka odour.:yucky: So glad you have ended your barron spell of fish mate and good luck for tomorrow.:thumbs:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi well done hope you left some fish for us . HeHe. We are going there this weekend for our hols and hope to get some fishing in. Husband, me and daughter go every year never catch owt but have fun trying. must try harder :crazy:

·
Registered
730 Posts
nice one dan, excellent report and good result all things being considered. Summer fishing's not too bad after all ... if you find the right spot

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
superb report, made me smile.. and well done on the sole

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers. You've got to try and have a laugh this Summer I suppose, it's been terrible. Worst one I can remember.
I noticed someone else had mentioned on another forum that fishing inbetween groynes e.t.c could be the way forward for the Soles for whats left of the Summer and I agree. Those little boats would have a hard job getting their nets in along this particular stretch of beach.

Thanks for the great report. havent been for a few months myself but always good to know that someone is doing OK
I think it's my first keeper fish for probably a good 6 or 8 weeks, last lot were a few Mackerel of Brighton Marina in June sometime. I'm sure normal service will be resumed this evening if I go.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Well I know where you were mate, that was the spot I told you about on Friday night :)
Nice one anyway and a great report :laugh:

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep thats the spot alright. It's interesting down there all sorts loing on features wise. I'm going to have a go this evening with some proper lug and try and do a comparison. Cheers Mack.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Yep thats the spot alright. It's interesting down there all sorts loing on features wise. I'm going to have a go this evening with some proper lug and try and do a comparison. Cheers Mack.
Well I reckon you'll do alright Dan, best of luck mate.
I'm carless tonight otherwise I might have popped down myself.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I could pick you up and drop you off if you like? I might be staying late though as HW isn't till 1.30 odd and I'm free as a bird tomorrow so no work to worry about in the morning after..

·
Registered
983 Posts
I could pick you up and drop you off if you like? I might be staying late though as HW isn't till 1.30 odd and I'm free as a bird tomorrow so no work to worry about in the morning after..
Very kind mate but I'm on a induction tomorrow so need to get an early night otherwise I'd bite your hand off for a lift.

·
Registered
723 Posts
ah the secret rock mark i took a walk along there this morning planning a go soon although the secret is starting to slip with the report`s starting to leak out it look`s right good up there too i know someone who had 7 soles there over the weekend

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I shall be down there this evening all being well. Gonna try another bay further one way or the other to try and get an idea of whats what down there. You're right though, given this flat sea it looks dead on. You watch I'll blank this eve.

·
Registered
723 Posts
i think you`ll find the bottom isn`t snaggy like it is further up tramp`s alley way with the first bay before the walkway start`s (tramps alley side) where all the big rock`s are in the water is fantastic for bass but it`s nice to know the secret spot is still fishing good luck tonight im just waiting for the tide`s to go with my work pattern then i can get there to give it a go

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well done Dan, a few nice sole.
I remember the first sole I caught behing Tilbury powerstation, it was black with a white spot. Tasted like sheeet as well.
Brighton aint looking too good for the next few weeks. Rain and high winds.:bangin:

I have just got back from fishing a pond in Wendover with Billy and my brother for Crucian Carp and Tench. We finished with 4 tench, 12 Crucians, 20 perch, 12 roach and 2 rudd so not too bad.

P.S. Why didn't you use another 19 hooks, then you would have landed the one that got away.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts