World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I hope you can help me here.

I'm off on one of my many visits to Cornwall in a month to see some family and I was wondering if any of you here could put me on to some fishing marks. I will be staying in the St Ives area, but will be able to travel further afield.

My usual marks are Porthcurno under the Minnack theatre which I have found good for mackeral, garfish and a few small wrasse and pollock, and Mounts Bay where I have caught loads of small school bass (nowhere near sizeable) and a couple of gilthead bream. I sometimes also fish under the coastguard station (the Island) in St Ives, although I don't find this mark that good.

This year I would like to try for a better bass, and possibly fish for rays and flatties. If anyone could put me on to a realistic mark, tactic and baits for any of the above I would appreciate it.

Also I've heard Mounts Bay can be good for better size bass. I have only used lug worm there which seems to catch the schoolies instantly, are there any baits to used that might get through to a better stamp of fish??

One more question :) I also fancy having a go with the plugs/spinners. Can anybody give a location where these might catch, I'm thinking Trevose or possibly Godrevy.

Any info much appreciated,

Tight Lines,

Ian

·
The Bean Counter
44,154 Posts
I have heard that Mounts Bay is a bit too shallow for the bigger bass. Why not try further up the road at Pra Sands.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Big bass can be caught in mounts bay, between Penzance and newlyn, with best success mainly at low water. Try large crab baits. Sennen is also very producitve for bass, as is porthcurno. Try perranuthnoe for ray.

T

·
0 Posts
try Rinsey, or poldhu point (by mullion) for small eyed ray/bass. Praa sands also throws up a few ray, perranuthanoe for plaice etc at low water. cudden point for ray , pollack etc (bit of a walk) Bashers harbour(left hand side of praa sands, under the house) for bass, ray, turbot.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Thanks for the replies Tim, PZWill and Snaggletooth.

PZWill, when you say bigger bass can be caught between Penzance and Newlyn do you mean the stretch of beach in front of the amusement arcades and the hotels?? If so what sort of ground is it? If this is where I am thinking I remember it to be very rocky here, but I'm not sure. If you could give me anymore info I would appreciate it.

Also can you tell me where to locate a supply of peeler crabs in that area. When I've asked in the tackle shops before they all say the haven't got any, maybe thats because I'm a tourist lol :D . I am yet to find any on the beaches down there as well so if you know of any places where I might be able to collect my own that would be great.

Tim and Snaggletooth, could you give me a bit more info on Praa Sands regards baits and rigs etc. I really would like to get a ray or a turbot regardless of size, as I am yet to catch any of these species. If you could give me any more detailed info here such as baits and rigs etc it would be very helpful.

Also, is there anywhere around that area that is worth having a go with plugs or spinners??

Thanks in advance,

Ian

·
The Bean Counter
44,154 Posts
Hi Ian
Your memory is correct that the beach in front of the arcade is very rocky. I'm afraid I can't help with rigs and baits for Praa, although I know the area well I am yet to fish it. I will be visiting area end of July and will be trying a bit of spinning from Mousehole harbour. If you do find any good spinning spots please let me know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
HI IAN
SINGLE HOOK CLIP DOWN IS WHAT I NORMALLY USE AT PRAA,SNOOD LENGTH 3-4FOOTON A4oz breakaway,running ledger works when calm,frozen sandell will take bass and ray if your lucky

cheers fawlty :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
As snaggletooth said, the beach here is very rocky, but bass can be caught here at high water, just underneath the prom, where clean patches of sand can be found. Try more towards newlyn, where the beach is less rocky and there are larger stretches of sand, there are lug beds here too. As my family is involved in shellfish, i usually use edible peelers, i find these good for bass, and a killer for wrasse, and even mullet if you use the right part of the crab. peelers are quite hard to find, so lug may be the better option.

will

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hi, I live in Penzance and have had some good sized bass recently.

Praa Sands and Perranuthnoe are fishing v.well at the moment for bass and ray, but only go if there is a good swell and cross/on shore winds if you are wanting the bass. I have found they both fish best on low water so I am going tonight as there is also a good swell running.

Long rock fishes really well at low water and I have had many good sized fish in the last 3 weeks mixed in with a lot of small ones. Park at Long rock (over the rail crossing) and fish close to the Island left (looking out to sea) from the car park. I think the bass like feeding close to this rocky island.

Sennen and Porthcurnow do fish well for bass and have some really good sized ones but normally start a bit later in the year than Praa, Perran, Long rock etc. I will be calling a few friends later to see if any have been caught at Sennen before I go to Praa or Perran tonight.

I have found there are more fish and bigger sizes when there is a good onshore wind and a good size swell running.

If anyone is down my way and wants to hook up (sorry about the pun) for an evening PM me.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all,

Sorry I have not replied earlier but I've ben a bit busy.

Cheers for the answers.

Snaggletooth, I have found that the Island in St Ives can be good for spinning for pollock with the little white rubber Delta eels. The pollock are only small, a pound or so, but on light gear they are great fun. I reckon any rocky headland with kelp would hold these sort of size fish.

Thanks for the info PZwill and Fawlty. I think I'll check out the rocks at towards Newlyn at low tide and give it a go.

Vaughan, Where exactly is Long Rock?? And where exactly do you park??
Previously I have have drove towards Marazion over a railway bridge (I think) then you come across a beach hut thing selling pizzas and beach inflatables, with a car park that runs all along the sea wall. I've parked at the end of the sea wall by the slipway and fished from there (the kite surfers have no respect for fisherman :( ). However, at low tide If you look left towards Penzance I have seen a load of rocks quite some distance away. Are these the rocks you are talking about?? If so could you give me more detailed directions of where to park and fish etc. I know there is a railway depot there so I am assuming it is around here. Also, when you say fish at low water do you walk right out across the sand/mud flats??

Sorry for all the questions, but I've just got to get me a half decent bass :) .

Cheers Ian

·
The Bean Counter
44,154 Posts
Cant help with the fishing spot but the directions for Long Rock are as follows. When you are at the roundabout, where you turn off for Marazion by crossing the railway bridge, take the next turning which will take you to Long Rock. You will reach another roundabout where you should go left. Just past the shop on your left you will see the sign for Long Rock Car Park.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hi Ian,

From the car park at Marazion, where the Pizza place is, continue towards Penzance. Go over a mini roundabout, past the Mexico pub on the left and a spar shop. Then you come to a car hire place (enterprise I think) the turning is on the left imediately after the car hire, you go over a level crossing with barriers and into the car park.

When you look out to sea from here you can see the rocks which are almost straight out to sea but slightly on the left. Looking out from the car park with the pizza place these rocks would be on the right. It is a big round patch just past the low water mark. Yes at low tide it is a long walk along the mud/sand.

Another great spot is the Red River, which can be reached by parking at the Pizza place and walking along the beach left towards Marazion after 200 yards'ish you will come to a river. This spot is best at high tide and produces a few flatties and Bass. There needs to be some swell for both of these spots.

I kitesurf a bit myself, so will not tar everyone with the same brush but most of them are a bunch of ****s. The lifegaurds have already tried to get them band from this beach, so just ignore em, most of us have insurance through our angling clubs, but they have none and come close to killing some poor sole every day :mad: There is much more respect for the anglers than the kitesurfers on the beaches down here because of the attitude many of these "*******" have.

Still will say if you are after good size bass Praa is the place to go at the moment, if the conditions are right. I will keep you updated about which beaches are producing since you are not down here for a month, because the North Coast should be hotting up by then. If you want to meet up when your here let me know.

Cheers

Vaughan

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all,

Cheers for the excellent directions guys I think I know where Long Rock car park is and must have drove past it a few times before.

I didn't mean to tar all kite surfers with the same brush Vaughan, no offence intended, and I'm sure there is none taken :D . The kite surfers didn't behave badly its just that I don't think they even made the link that man standing on edge of beach with fishing rod in hand would have a line in the water that they would get caught up on. I even had a chat with one of them and mentioned where my line was and could he try to go out a bit further, which he replied ok. then he went up the beach came back down and did it again :confused: . Nothing malicious in it, just a div.

I have fished by the Red River a couple of times but only had small bass and a gilthead bream :) , but I reckon bigger fish must be around.

What baits and rigs do you suggest using at Long Rock?? I get the impression that lug will mostly be picked up by the small stuff. I will give sand eel and mackeral ago, but I am yet to find any peelers.

Also, do you know of any where you can plug for bass as I really fancy giving this a go. I'm not after any secret hotspots or any thing :D just general areas.

What have you been catching recently. God, I want to know everything.

Cheers Ian

·
Registered
199 Posts
i know that there are quite a lot of flatties around the rocks at longrock as when ever I am back there i see quite a few people spearfishing in that area and do see them with flatties.

many years ago i went snorkeling there and disturbed quite a few as i went along the bottom.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Swiss,

I'm packing the wetsuit and snorkel as I write lol.

I'll post on here how I got on when I get back.

Ian

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi All,

I'm back from my hols :( . I did a fair bit of fishing mainly at Praa Sands.

I had 10 bass with three being keepers. I only kept one and put the rest back. All the fish were caught around low tide on lug (which I dug at Longrock) during darkness. I tried fishing Longrock during the day and didnt have a bite, but it was flat calm and boiling hot. I also fished Porthcurnow but only had a few mackies and a pollock.

While at Praa we also saw a shark about 20 yards of the beach. It came in in front of my rods, did two wide circles the swam out to sea. We reckon it was about 6ft long. Bloke in the tackle shop reckoned it could have been a blue shark or a basking shark. Who knows.

We also had a trip out in the Starfish out of Porthleven and went out to Wolf Rock. We had shed loads of pollock to 10.5lbs, which my girlfriend getting a 9lber, jammy cow.

Cheers for all you tips

Ian

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hi Ian,

Glad you had a good trip and caught some fish, funny that the women always seem to have the good fish :confused:

I spotted what I think must have been a Blue Shark at Porthcurnow feeding in the surf just off the beach (In a previous post), so there must be some reason they are coming close in this year, I have noticed most of the beaches are full of sandeel, thus bringing the bass in, possible then bringing the sharks in.

Anyway glad you had a good one mate.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Vaughan,

Lots of sand eels at Praa. The bloke in Newtown Angling told me to use the back of a filleting knife and run it through the sand in an "s" shape (like vingling sp??) and I hooked out a few sand eels. I was amazed, I didn't realise these things lived in the sand after the tide went out, I thought they lived on the sea bed way below the low tide mark. In the end I just got a fork and dug some out as it was easier. I tried a few live eel at night but with no luck, as soon as I put a few lug worm on the hook I had instant bites.

The bloke in the shop told me live eels don't work at night as it the bass then feed by smell and that eels would only work in the day. Is this true?? Can you tell me the best way to use live eel from the shore??

As for the shark, I reckon he was there for the bass as I dont think you get mackeral off Praa. However, I have been know to be wrong :D .

Cheers Ian

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hi Ian,

I never use sandeel unless fishing in the day, I have never caught anything off the beach in the evening on them, although people do catch ray at night with them.

I totally agree that the bass feed using smell at night and sandeel have very little, rag smell a bit, but lug are really juicy so fill the water with attractant for the bass, thus you get nearly instant results if they are about.

Cheers

Vaughan

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi Ian,

I know I've joined this thread a bit late, and after your trip down here but I was interested to see that you have been out on Starfish with skipper Michael from my home port of Porthleven. I have the boat Seabird in Porthleven and just thought I would add to the bass debate with the fact that some very nice bass have been had off the end of Porthleven pier this year. I don't fish from the pier but I understand that sand eel has been the favourite from there. From my boat the most successfull ploy for bass this year has been a jointed Rapala lure trolled well behind the boat at about 2 knots right in on the beach - beach casters could have cast out beyond me!! - going from Porthleven you have a great run right along Porthleven beach, along Loe bar and on to Gunwalloe. Unfortunately the mackerel have been in there too, and are a pain taking the rapala when you're after the silver ones. Just thought I'd mention that...

Cheers
Peter B

1 - 20 of 24 Posts