World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Have a 2000 Mariner 4/ 90hp, just had it services which included: trailer boat out of water and relaunching after (boat moored next to ramp, workshop 50yrds away from ramp), preseason service incl. oil change , filter change, new impeller, new anode, take off gear box and service waterpump, top up batteries etc., new trim sender, new battery cables, and 2nr new battery box (Supply only). I have just received the bill for that little lot in the sum of £873! £200 for parts, the rest on labour. This seems extremely expensive to me but it's my first year with this size engine so looking for some feedback fom you guys to your experience of service costs. I'm based in Channel Islands, so cost are normally a bit more here than on the mainland and also lack of choice on who to go to.

Thanks in advance

Tippers

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Hi Guys,

Have a 2000 Mariner 4/ 90hp, just had it services which included: trailer boat out of water and relaunching after (boat moored next to ramp, workshop 50yrds away from ramp), preseason service incl. oil change , filter change, new impeller, new anode, take off gear box and service waterpump, top up batteries etc., new trim sender, new battery cables, and 2nr new battery box (Supply only). I have just received the bill for that little lot in the sum of £873! £200 for parts, the rest on labour. This seems extremely expensive to me but it's my first year with this size engine so looking for some feedback fom you guys to your experience of service costs. I'm based in Channel Islands, so cost are normally a bit more here than on the mainland and also lack of choice on who to go to.

Thanks in advance

Tippers
I am not going to be very help full in reducing the bill but here goes.......

Did you find out PRIOR to giving them the job their hourly rate of charge?

Did you ask them to quantify how many hours they expected to take PRIOR to them being given the job?

Did you tell them to check back with you ANY charge that was in addition to the standard serveice charge PRIOR to them taking the work on ?

Talking about 'Standard charge' these are usualy called 'Menue Prices' as in "50 hour service parts and labour £300"

Does the dealer price in theis way?
If not is he an accredited Mariner dealer?
If he is does Mariner have a Menue price policy?

To sound very pessimistic I think you may (in all innocence) given the dealer a blank cheque.

If you can get back with more factual information about what you asked the dealer to do and his responses prior to the work there may be a tiny window of opportunity to argue the bill down.

Afishionado

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Afishionado,

This company has serviced my last 3 outboards (2/, and smaller) at a reasonable cost, so didn't really question how much, don't think they have standard item costs for servicing. I have (or did) a fairly good relationship with them and I am definitely going to speak to them about the bill but just wanted some idea of average service cost as possible ammunition before I speak to them.

regards

Tippers

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance

Tippers
Seems expensive to me !!!! , was the engine running ok prior to getting it serviced, or did you go in with a list of issues that needed attending to, as their is a big difference between preventative maintenance , and actually fixing faults.

I have got a quote for the first 20 hour service on my Suzuki 60hp 4 stroke
From .......http://http://www.suzuki-marine.co.uk/dealers_2page.php?dist_id=0159

All parts and labour about £100 + vat

To be honest when my motor goes out of warranty , I shall be doing most of the servicing , ie oil & filter ,water pump impellor replacements etc , myself. as it is'nt really rocket science.

IMHO

Cheers Ian

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems expensive to me !!!! , was the engine running ok prior to getting it serviced, or did you go in with a list of issues that needed attending to, as their is a big difference between preventative maintenance , and actually fixing faults.

I have got a quote for the first 20 hour service on my Suzuki 60hp 4 stroke
From .......http://http://www.suzuki-marine.co.uk/dealers_2page.php?dist_id=0159

All parts and labour about £100 + vat

To be honest when my motor goes out of warranty , I shall be doing most of the servicing , ie oil & filter ,water pump impellor replacements etc , myself. as it is'nt really rocket science.

IMHO

Cheers Ian

Thanks Ian,

The only thing wrong was the trim sender needed replacing and 2 new battery cables, the rest was just routine maintenance

regards

Tippers

·
Registered
842 Posts
Tippers

Thanks Ian,

The only thing wrong was the trim sender needed replacing and 2 new battery cables, the rest was just routine maintenance

regards

Tippers
Then I would think you've been "tucked up" , you should get an item by item breakdown of the costs to justify the charges.!!!!!

What was wrong with the battery cables , that caused them to be replaced???

After all you've been charged £673 quid for labour, and if the engineer spent 4 hours on your motor , which I doubt, their hourly rate is £168.25 PH!!!!!!

I'm not sure a brain surgeon would earn that much

Cheers Ian

:uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh:

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Hi Afishionado,

This company has serviced my last 3 outboards (2/, and smaller) at a reasonable cost, so didn't really question how much, don't think they have standard item costs for servicing. I have (or did) a fairly good relationship with them and I am definitely going to speak to them about the bill but just wanted some idea of average service cost as possible ammunition before I speak to them.

regards

Tippers

OK here is how you stand legally......... You have every right to dispute their bill and providing that you make an offer of payment on what you deem is a realistic (and it IS realistic) price for the work that has been done they HAVE to release the boat to you. Not to do so can be taken as a form of theft. It is NOT just a civil matter and the you have the right to involve the Police in the removal by you of the vessel. Providing of course that you have made reasonable offer and are prepared to pay that sum over. The dealer HAS to accept this. Any further negotiations of the difference between your reasonable offer and their bill are deemed a civil dispute. As such they may take you a small claims court to argue their case.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO .......

Find out by phoning other dealers (on the mainland if ness') to get their quote/estimate of the cost of the serveice.
Get an independant boatyard/marinas cost for a boat movement in and out.
Be proactive in preparing your arguments.

Afishionado

PS I think they are "Havin' a Larff" at nearly £900

G

·
I am not a service engineer, but a trim sender should be about +/-£70 and an hour to fit and the battery cables.....(?)I don't know, £30 plus another hour.

Seems extremely pricey to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
anyone can see that he is ripping you off. admittedly i know naff all about boat engines, but i paid 100 quid plus vat for a new impeller, full service, and a new ignition switch, that was a 50hp evinrude.

the simple fact is, theres a general amount of hours a mechanic can charge for each job, thats with any type of engines, so if they happen to be a slow mechanic, its unnaceptable to just add more hours to the bill. as its there problem.
just like if they snap a bolt, thats really there problem. the hourly rate should cover the jobs that go horribly wrong and the jobs that go well, within reason. that way all costemers get a good service and company keeps a good name.

as pointed out above, it was probably 4 hrs tops, but even if he took all day on it, nearly £700 is just too much. if not i'm changing proffessions.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
I pay between £28 per hour for simple fitter-type work in the marina and £58 per hour for my main-agent dealer Volvo car servicing with all the frills. That's South Coast pricing so if its outside that I would question it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Mercury 90hp 4 stroke full dealer service including engine anodes, impellor, oils in gearbox and engine, all filters , check all carb settings and launch for water test run £250 last year.

Personally, I would ask for a full break down of costs. 70mm battery cable is between £6 -£8 per metre normally.

Cheers Steve

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
My mate has a guy do his Suzuki 115hp and he charges £50/Hr.
Top bloke though, suzuki authorised, i belive he works on the Suzuki marine racing team as well.

Alan

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance

Tippers

This is the same thing, you cannot do the impeller without dropping the gearbox, and you cannot service the waterpump without replacing the impeller. If this is from your invoice I would suspect they are padding the labour out. Seems very expensive to me, but then again I do all my own and only have to buy the bits.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
I bet you'll find they are charging you £50ish per movement of the boat in that. 2 movements and a launch and a retrieve will drive the bill up some.

G

·
I pay between £28 per hour for simple fitter-type work in the marina and £58 per hour for my main-agent dealer Volvo car servicing with all the frills. That's South Coast pricing so if its outside that I would question it.
Neville

You've never been to Salterns have you! :blink:

15,082 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance

Tippers
Youve also had the boat brought ashore and relaunched.There is probably at least £160 there if most marina charges are anything to go by.They nearly all insist in jetting the bottom of the boat so as not to drag mud and slime all over the yard,another say £50.So lets say £200 in yard charges,+ £200 in parts that is now £450.I would imagine 4 hours labour at say £40,now we are at £610,then comes the dreaded VAT,another £106.75 that makes it £716.75! and thats if the labour is only £40 per hour,so to me it's about right for boatyard charges.
They dont work very quick so I would say you have probably been charged half a days labour.

Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Youve also had the boat brought ashore and relaunched.There is probably at least £160 there if most marina charges are anything to go by.They nearly all insist in jetting the bottom of the boat so as not to drag mud and slime all over the yard,another say £50.So lets say £200 in yard charges,+ £200 in parts that is now £450.I would imagine 4 hours labour at say £40,now we are at £610,then comes the dreaded VAT,another £106.75 that makes it £716.75! and thats if the labour is only £40 per hour,so to me it's about right for boatyard charges.
They dont work very quick so I would say you have probably been charged half a days labour.

Ron
Hi Ron,

Didn't clean the boat, did that myself, no VAT (currently) in Channel Islands,

I'm going to see them tommorrow so will post outcome.

regards

Tippers

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Just had something similar done up here on the north east coast and was very happy with the price. The guys used their own landrover to haul it in and out and run me round to my car etc. They did lots of little extra jobs that I thought of (eg wiring in a new radio, fitting a staple for a harness, sorting out a couple of problems with the trailer). And they completely reworked the antifoul, replaced the auxilliary engine bracket and serviced the suzuki auxiliary and changed failed seals on the MAriner 60hp Bigfoot. Total bill £550 inc vat
Mike
PS I'm trying to get the cost of redoing the antifouling back from Warrior but they seem toi be ignoring me now

1 - 20 of 29 Posts