World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

having virtually finnished restoring my 1st boat and decided to put her on a pontoon at woodbridge in a couple of weeks time I am left with a couple of no doubt daft questions but they have been nagging away for a while now.

1. the boat has a single brass bung and threaded fitting at the rear but should the bung be inserted dry or greased, siliconed etc and should it have a rubber seal fitted to it ???

2. My Selva 25hp 2 stroke o/b has an on/off switch that actually has three positions can anyone please tell me why ???

No doubt I will kick myself when I get the answers but as a total newcomer to boating I have too ask.

Cheers John

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Can't help with the o/b switch but I do have a bit of experience with brass bungs! The one on my Trophy just tightens up and seals without any extra washers. I add some plumbers tape to the thread just to make sure. The pressure will be very low as it is only a few inches below water level.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Salar and Clinker,

Knew I would be kicking myself and the plumbers PTFE tape is so logical as lots of general plumbing fittings are brass and require PTFE that I can't believe that I didn't think of it straight away.

I just put the reading speks on and had a good look at the engine switch and found that the only words on it are STOP above the switch and ARAI above the choke. I also removed the top cover to find that although the rear of the switch has three terminals only two of them have a wire connected (no other wire around) and these both run up into the underside of the pullstart assembly. I now suspect that maybe at some stage the switch may have been replaced with a non standard item.

When I bought the boat the seller attached a set of muffs and showed us it running well in neutral, forward and reverse with a decent flow coming from the peehole but I will be honnest and admit that I should have paid more attention to the switch position etc at the time. I have also just been made aware that with the muffs on it was not a true indication in regards to the flow from the peehole. Having got the boat in December and then blowing the budget due to a sudden broken gearbox on my pickup truck and then spending the last week in hospital on morphine I am well behind in getting her into the water (I know I should have done that first but life just really got well rough).

All that I think I have left to do is half an hours work on finishing the new wiring, polish the upper white fibreglass and a weld to do on the trailer, run the engine in a drum of water and make sure that all is hopefully well with it. Also my wife has still to make the side panels for the canopy that she has been kindly making for me and got to get a flare pack and some new fender lines. OOhhh so close now but doctor said total rest for a fortnight so end of the month is when I expect to get her wet :boat:

Also I have done the stripping, priming and antifouling but as she is still on the trailer I was thinking of tying her off at the front to a 12"ish strap and weighting the trailer nose down then loosening off the winch (unchecked) to back her up and support the rear on an axle stand so that I can safely get access to the missed bits that sit under the rollers. Is this a good plan or am I missing something ??

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Also I have done the stripping, priming and antifouling but as she is still on the trailer I was thinking of tying her off at the front to a 12"ish strap and weighting the trailer nose down then loosening off the winch (unchecked) to back her up and support the rear on an axle stand so that I can safely get access to the missed bits that sit under the rollers. Is this a good plan or am I missing something ??
Good enough (as long as it is secure). If it is being craned it you can do it as it is lifted, otherwise you will have to go with your plan.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
I now suspect that maybe at some stage the switch may have been replaced with a non standard item.
Makes sense - the usual thing on an outboard before they were fitted kill cord type switches, is to have a spring loaded push button for stopping the engine.

Hope all goes well with the impending first launch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts