World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have just joined this forum and was hoping someone would be able to offer me some advice as you all seem a friendly bunch.

I have been course fishing for years and have all the equipment but I am going to bridlington for a week in June and really fancy having a go at beach fishing while I am away. Ufortunatly as I live near Lichfield in Staffordshire I am at least 2 hours away from the nearest coast so I dont want to go to the expense of buying new rods and reels for 1 week.

I was planning on taking my 3lb test curve pike rod and a reel loaded with 15lb mono, I know this is far from ideal but I want to give it a go. If I get hooked then I may invest in some proper equipment and start travelling I am sure my missus wont mind as we can go away in the caravan more.

I was after some advice on what size of weight I could cast with the rod and what sort of terminal tackle and rigs I would need. Also any advice on bait would be most helpfull as I dont reall know where to start. I am a complete newbie with see fishing.

Thanks for any help
Dave

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
welcome to the forum Dave

I would suggest that the most you would need 3oz leads and a leader length from the reel to attach the lead and end tackle to it. The leader helps you from having the line snap when casting and losing you end tackle. how big are the dead baits you cast out? up to about 5oz or so... the rod will be able to cast a little more.

there are one or two tackle shops in brid that will help. there is one on the road out of brid from the centre of the town. and he has all the baits and tackle you could need. a specilist bass rod is much the same as a rod for carp or pike. Most tackle shop owners on the coast will be able to suggest rigs that you be able to use and types of fish you might catch. I can't help you there as i have not so far managed to fish brid yet? Only been there once to visit parents. did see people fishing off one of the arms of the harbour.

I have a 3m hollow glassfibre which is over 25 years old that i use for spinning and have taken many 4lb grey mullet on it.

If and when you do get hooked on Sea Fishing..... Please don't go and buy expensive roods and reels until you are really sure it is what you want to do. I know course anglers who want the best gear from the start!!

i hope that helps you a little?

Michael :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi,

Take a look at this site mate.

http://macky1.proboards30.com/index.cgi

A week or 2 ago someone posted a catch report from south beach Bridlington and stated that he had caught 8 bass and seen others catching.

If you join the site there are many friendly anglers, more knowledgable than me that would be only too happy to help you out.

Hope this helps

Graham

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Dave,with a 3lb test curve pike rod & a reel loaded with 15lb line you have it cracked, stick a 40lb shock leader on it, buy a packet of 1/0 chemically sharpened, a couple of american snap swivels, a couple of plain swivels, a couple of 3-4 oz weights & you're sorted. Traces you cant go wrong with a 3-4ft flowing trace or a 2 hook paternoster rig, unlike coarse fishing DONT SKIMP ON YOUR HOOK BAIT! the sea is a big place, & the tail of a ragworm doesn't attract from 100metres, pile it on the hook & up the line, you will be suprised how big a sea fishes mouth is! (I wonder if they are all females)? start of a new thread perhaps?
blueskip

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Oh no not the female thread again aaaaaargh :) And Marcus just maybe your signature might give the wrong impression as to the friendliness of this site :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
What you've got is great! Fish are fish and all sea fish are predatory (like some sea anglers!) Seriously there is an impression about sea fishing that suggests that it is all about 60lb line and meat hooks with 1lb of lead (that's actually wreck fishing - only joking wreckers!) I use a beachcaster with a multiplier and 35lb braid when I'm fishing rough places but for years when a teenager I discovered the delights of fishing light even in the kelp. I freelined crabs and kingrag into the rough stuff and yes I lost a lot of hooks but also caught lots of Bass (those were the days!) I bought myself a Shimano Hyperloop heavy feeder and use it every time I fish anywhere. With a method feeder I fish in the surf and when the small fish are about and I need livebait I simply use an ounce and a simple paternoster rig in the surf.

Think about it, use a light rod to catch bait for your Pike rod! If the Bass are quiet you can still keep pulling in the little ones (and releasing those you don't want to use straightaway) In the Menai Straits in a couple of spots in an eddy off the main current I regularly use a 17' commercial carp float rod for Wrasse and Pollack. It really is amazing sport using a waggler and trying out all the baits until the float stops and goes! The only thing that you have to contend with are the crabs. They are voracious and, if like me you're not that good at settting depth, they can make a float behave as if a fish is interested! With your experience you should be fine. Mullet has been mentioned as a quarry try bread where you hear they are available off rocks or amongst moored boats and sewage outfalls (all part of life's rich pattern!)

Don't get sucked into thinking that sea fishing is onefaced.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Now that is a leading question!1

Seriously though, everyone fishes the way they want to and have grown up fishing at a particular venue. When you read magazines (even this 'virtual' one) you read about something new. Think about rod design and the development of tournament casting. How much has this influenced our way of fishing? I sometimes wonder if I really need an expensive rod and reel when I was content with what I had before. The old original 8' hollow fibreglass rod with which I caught my 13lb Bass is still in the garage but gathering dust now because of the expensive stuff I've bought since! It's reading about coarse fishing, and watching the TV programmes that has made me try light stuff. Having said this I fully respect someone's right to plug away on a shingle beach with heavy beachcasting set up, having set up the beach buddy for the night, and never doing anything else. It's what he wants and good luck to him. Similarly having a day out fishing way off shore in a huge tide with masses of lead is what turns others on and good luck etc. etc. They all call what they do 'sea fishing'.

Essentially this is what I meant by onefaced - any of the above would be onefaced. I'm turned on by the challenge of always catching, something! These days it seems that 'tiddler snatching' is almost essential, for me. Thus I think that newcomers should go and have a go particularly if they have some background in fishing, and more to the point, use tackle they are familiar with rather than be hidebound by the new traditions, if that's not contradictory!!

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
13lb Bass - glassfibre rod......sob ... totally agree with you m8 humans have been catching fish for probably millions of years but now what we need? are expensive tackle and various professional "tactics" to catch fish

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
Good points made there. Reading Sea Angler etc these days you might be forgiven for slipping into the belief that you need half a tackle-shop on you if you're going to catch anything!

Two of my rods are tatty old things of uncertain parentage with the rings fixed on with insulating tape! Oddly, for some unknown reason, I've caught more fish on these than on my two newer rods!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all your replies, I see I was right about the friendly bunch.

I am really looking forward to going now and at least I have some idea of where to start and what I need.

To be honest I dont really care what I catch or what size it is, but if I can get something I will be really happy. I just love fishing expecially trying something new.

Thanks again
Dave

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Marcus,

I only posted that sites address in an attempt to assist a fellow angler in his quest for information on a specific venue.

The site is a local site for local (as well as non-local) :D people. It includes all the holderness coast (including Brid) and up to date info is posted regularly.

Regards

Graham

V

·
0 Posts
i have this week been using a pair of carp rods(i quite often take at least one carp rod when i go shore fishing)and have been belting out 4 oz leads on a 3lb t.c. rod without any shockleader,the more forgiving action of the rod makes the need for s/leader redundant.
i have had a 5lb starry smut tuesday,and i can assure you it was more fun than doing the same on the viper,line was 18lb b/s,but the other carp rod was 2.75tc with 12lb fox soft steel and 3 oz lead/no s/leader.
using a carp rod is sometimes useful to search out fish by slowly reeling back the bait every now and then.
as for bait,try to find the nearest tackle shop to where you plan to fish,they should be able to help. :D :D :D

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Grahamr4 said:
Hi Marcus,

I only posted that sites address in an attempt to assist a fellow angler in his quest for information on a specific venue.

The site is a local site for local (as well as non-local) :D people. It includes all the holderness coast (including Brid) and up to date info is posted regularly.

Regards

Graham
No problems matey.wasent being funny or having a go :cool:

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Just a quick note. I've already told you about the coarse fishing tackle I use successfully (both in terms of enjoyment and results!)

Saturday, got myself a 2.75 test carp rod with nice big rings (Chinese and only £20!) what a great live-baiting rod. Feels really well balanced with my Daiwa baitfeeder!Let me get at 'em!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts