World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hyrtigruta ferry is at the center of a great deal of contriversy because it has had several passengers with covid who were allowed onshore.
The country opened last week and as a result is now in pretty much lockdown.
Consider this is one of those occasions when it is YOU and no one else who is responsible.
We opened up here because of pressure from business and now we are paying the price.

There is now speculation that this pandemic will last for as long as 2 years.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Well 6 of us have been back from Arnoya for nearly 2 weeks and we remain fit and healthy, so no Covid import from us. The south of england is almost free of covid unlike some northern towns wher the levels are running at a handful per 1000.

The ferry you talk about was a cruise line, in effect, touring Svalbard and of the 40 plus cases almost all 35 are filipino crew on the ship. It seems cruises where people are indoors and closely confined are hotspots of infection.

Small groups of visitors on boats in the open air are very unlikely to be a problem imho.

In any event Covid is with humanity for keeps now and will eventually be widespread across the world, hence pandemic. We must learn to live with it as we do the flu and can only hope an effective vaccine is available very soon and very widely. Anyone who thinks it can be stopped is grasping at straws and we all need get back to an as normal way of life as we can as quickly as we can.

Mike

·
Registered
333 Posts
The hyrtigruta ferry is at the center of a great deal of contriversy because it has had several passengers with covid who were allowed onshore.
Consider this is one of those occasions when it is YOU and no one else who is responsible.
We opened up here because of pressure from business and now we are paying the price.

What are you suggesting? You are basically saying because we are British we are going to come over and infect you all. Please don’t tarnish us all with the same brush. Some of us are very sensible and we do all we can to avoid this disease!!!

·
Registered
14,401 Posts
Well 6 of us have been back from Arnoya for nearly 2 weeks and we remain fit and healthy, so no Covid import from us. The south of england is almost free of covid unlike some northern towns wher the levels are running at a handful per 1000.

The ferry you talk about was a cruise line, in effect, touring Svalbard and of the 40 plus cases almost all 35 are filipino crew on the ship. It seems cruises where people are indoors and closely confined are hotspots of infection.

Small groups of visitors on boats in the open air are very unlikely to be a problem imho.

In any event Covid is with humanity for keeps now and will eventually be widespread across the world, hence pandemic. We must learn to live with it as we do the flu and can only hope an effective vaccine is available very soon and very widely. Anyone who thinks it can be stopped is grasping at straws and we all need get back to an as normal way of life as we can as quickly as we can.

Mike
Totally agree Mike. We all need to take a little care and responsibility but life still goes on and long term it will serve no one if country’s economies go crashing down in flames.

There are going to be localised flare ups everywhere and imo localised lockdown is the way to go, rather than banning everything.

And as you say, four people out on a boat aren’t going to be a major infection risk. In fact, we will probably see no more than a handful of people the whole time we are there, we’ll hardly be going to raves or having 10 pints a night in the pubs.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Virus isn't going away anytime time soon so either lockdown and screw your economy, especially the youngsters who are working in tourism and leisure industries, or get on and manage with balance. If you don't like it and can afford to isolate yourself then do so. Easy to do so if you are older and financially well off and possibly wont see much change to your lifestyle in any event! I can't help think that with some peoples attitudes to this that if they had been around during the 2nd world war then we'd be mostly speaking German. "Oh, I'm not going to sign up as I might get killed", similar to "I'm not going outside as I might get Covid………….."

Could also say its nature way of strengthening the population - affecting elderly, medically impaired mostly. .As a species we've become to good at prolonging life really and a reduction in numbers cant be a bad thing overall. Horrible for anyone who has been affected and they have my deepest sympathies but looking at it at the higher level …………….

If you don't like tourists coming to Norway I'd suggest lobby your government.

·
Registered
10,266 Posts

Hyse, I'm here in Norway at the moment and not many of your countrymen share your doom and gloom, there could well be a vaccine by Christmas, so how could this last another two years, stop being a doom monger my friend, enjoy life while you are here and every angler here from the UK is taking every precaution because we don't want the virus any more than you do. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,908 Posts

Mike
:( Apparently 6 new cases recorded it Portsmouth this week

·
Read Only
0 Posts
:( Apparently 6 new cases recorded it Portsmouth this week
Out of population of c.300k that’s not many and unless you are living in a large household with teenagers or renting your rooms to ethnic minority workers, packing them in, I’d say the odds are pretty small that you’d be affected Norm. Still sensible to exercise caution as of course I’m sure you are.

·
Registered
19,908 Posts
Out of population of c.300k that’s not many and unless you are living in a large household with teenagers or renting your rooms to ethnic minority workers, packing them in, I’d say the odds are pretty small that you’d be affected Norm. Still sensible to exercise caution as of course I’m sure you are.
:) My wife is ultra cautious, even washes the food deliveries. The local increase is, I believe, down to the weather with BBQ's and packed beaches to blame. ;)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im pretty sure that every one of you is taking every precaution you can - but you cannot answer for anyone else.
Yes i realise how important your trip is - i get a great deal of joy from fishing myself and even more from seeing others have that joy but i would like to point out something that in your haste to respond to this comment you have foregotten - very simply this - we are all responsible.
Just by getting on an aeroplane you are relying on every person on that plane being clear of corona - of every person that has had anything to do with that plane, maintanence,cleaning,passengers - at the airport you go to the toilet , notice how most doors to the conviniences open INWARDS, yes you have to use your hand to get out, so you touch the surfaces hundreds of others have, do you really trust them not to be infected?
You cannot avoid it!
Here in my county we have had less than 120 cases - how many have you had in your county? How many in the towns and places you are passing through on your way here?
Steveh you say that not many Norwegians are worried about corona infection - people here(that i personally know) are beginning to realise that THEY, and nobody else is responsible so they dont take risks.
The infections here have been steadily going down since lockdown - but a sudden spike since the country was opened a few weeks ago has led people to think again.

·
Registered
19,908 Posts
im pretty sure that every one of you is taking every precaution you can - but you cannot answer for anyone else.
Yes i realise how important your trip is - i get a great deal of joy from fishing myself and even more from seeing others have that joy but i would like to point out something that in your haste to respond to this comment you have foregotten - very simply this - we are all responsible.
Just by getting on an aeroplane you are relying on every person on that plane being clear of corona - of every person that has had anything to do with that plane, maintanence,cleaning,passengers - at the airport you go to the toilet , notice how most doors to the conviniences open INWARDS, yes you have to use your hand to get out, so you touch the surfaces hundreds of others have, do you really trust them not to be infected?
You cannot avoid it!
Here in my county we have had less than 120 cases - how many have you had in your county? How many in the towns and places you are passing through on your way here?
Steveh you say that not many Norwegians are worried about corona infection - people here(that i personally know) are beginning to realise that THEY, and nobody else is responsible so they dont take risks.
The infections here have been steadily going down since lockdown - but a sudden spike since the country was opened a few weeks ago has led people to think again.
:) Sweden never went into lockdown and they have had very few cases. They now believe they have "herd immunity", they've done much better than most, certainly better than us with lock downs and public paces closed. ;)

·
Read Only
0 Posts
You cannot avoid it!
So are you saying we shouldn't be travelling to Norway? Sorry but as long as it is legal to do so then people will travel if they are prepared to take the risk. Some will, some wont. Tell you what, would you be happy to pay me and my 2 fishing companions 50,000 nok each for compensation for lost costs for the trip and enjoyment factor, we possibly might consider cancelling our trip.

·
Registered
32 Posts
:) Sweden never went into lockdown and they have had very few cases. They now believe they have "herd immunity", they've done much better than most, certainly better than us with lock downs and public paces closed. ;)
You are lying or just misinformed. Sweden is in the middle of destruction and a good example of a failed political system because they were not able to decide and act against the virus spread, then finally decided to do some limbo instead and their approach has resulted 20 times more deads per population compared to Finland and to Norway as well. The country didn’t even try to protect its citizens.

Studies also show that the herd immunity can only be achieved with vaccination. Then Swedes are accepting a lot of suffering upfront instead of getting time for scientists to find effective treatments and medicines. There is a mathematical method called game theory which should work also solving the virus related problem. I would say that the man behind Swedens virus fight, Anders Tegnell, has never understood its meaning. Sweden selected a strategy that is not only profoundly wrong but also against mathematics known to some of us.

How can a state epidemiologist have that much power to steer the country to suffer without the government acting and intervening? This is a new and serious challenge which cannot be managed with and desicions based only on existing statistical data on past historical epidemics. But this is the way Sweden acts.

·
Registered
19,908 Posts
You are lying or just misinformed. Sweden is in the middle of destruction and a good example of a failed political system because they were not able to decide and act against the virus spread, then finally decided to do some limbo instead and their approach has resulted 20 times more deads per population compared to Finland and to Norway as well. The country didn’t even try to protect its citizens.

Studies also show that herd immunity can only be achieved with vaccination. Then Swedes are accepting a lot of suffering upfront instead of getting time for scientist to find effective treatments and medicine. There is a mathematical method called game theory which should work also solving the virus related problem. I would say that the man behind Swedens virus fight, Anders Tegnell, has never understood its meaning.
:) Obviously I was taken in by "Fake news". :(

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I admire tremenduously many of the posters here, even if the dont agree with me (especially if they dont)
We need to stand up for what we feel is right!!
And so many of you clearly do.
However to get this right there needs to be complete honesty and that is all to often left a bit behind.

When you see something you feel is wrong, all too many of us say "its not our position to do anything about it - we should tell the police/polititians,council"
I say it is time for each and every one of us to take action on things we feel are not right - PERSONALLY.
With Covid the usa now has -5.5million cases because for all they appear their system is rotten to the core and is seriously letting their people down - Sweden - it is easy to think their response to covid is based on the idea that their gang bangers live closely together, often in ghettoes and so are far more likely to succomb than regular swedes who are more likely to live further apart -
Sweden has massive gang related problems which has led to bombings,hand grenade attacks and more - oops getting off subject here.
It is interesting to see the comments here - such as older and sick people are more likely to be infected with covid so its not really an issue - no way is anyone going to be infectded by 4 guys in a boat (i wonder how they got to the boat?)
And some quite dishonest postings (oops must be fake news!!)
So how many of you are going to take PERSONAL responsibility?
Nahh, dont bother to reply, just post that this is a post you dont like - that will do very well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts