World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got 50 live pelers sat in my garage,waiting for their backs to pop so ica n freeze them for the winter.trouble is im going to be away for 5 days and obviously cant leave them to their own devices.if i need to can i peel them prior to them starting to shed/crack and will they be a viable bait?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
hi there if they are peelers they dont need to be poppers to peel just take legs and claws off and peel the shell off like normal if you want to then take out the dead mans fingers (gills) then wrap in cling film and freeze i put mine on glass that i have kept in the freezer job done apart from getting rid of the shell. you can peel or just leave the shell on the claws and legs and freeze them too for a flounder sesh or two regarsd roger

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
ive got 50 live pelers sat in my garage,waiting for their backs to pop so ica n freeze them for the winter.trouble is im going to be away for 5 days and obviously cant leave them to their own devices.if i need to can i peel them prior to them starting to shed/crack and will they be a viable bait?
Any with cracks id peel(or those with any movement felt in their shell at the back where you hold em so they cant nip),those not being near to ready id give em a drink and then put them in the fridge for the 5 days,when you get back a few may be popped and be dead but if most werent ready(no cracks and no shell movement felt) then they should live 5 days in the fridge without all dieing,if you can get somebody to give em a spray with water while your away then thats even better.
Its what id do,as fresh is much better than frozen for some fish.

I know some anglers who have come home from fishing,put the left over crab in their bucket in a cool place and left em there till the next weekend and still had some live crab to use.

The best crab is always best as bait,so i wouldnt freeze crab before they are ready/peelable.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Put them in my fridge mate.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Put em in the fridge with a damp cloth over them. If they have no cracks then they'll be fine. Works for me.

Cheers

Tony

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
putting them in the fridge is the best idea as should be ok for 5 days i only said freeze them as that way you will have 50 crab to use when you want
if you put them in he fridge put them in groups of say 10 and that way if 1 or 2 die they will only kill the others in that tray not kill all 50 as when a crab dies it gives off a toxin that kills other crabs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts