World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished around whitby and robin hoods bay a few times this year and on more than one occasion have been told that the bait catching is edible crab that has been frozen in a surgical sleeve. can anyone shed any light on this as if this is the case it would make an ideal bait for someone like me who has to travel a fair distance to fish.

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
i am lead to beleive thet the crushed edibles is what they are calling crab crystals but cant be certain as its very secretive for lots of reasons.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
As far as I know, no matter where you buy the crab from it is illegal to use it as bait anywhere between the Humber and Scotland. So you could buy it from down south and it would still be illegal.

·
Registered
437 Posts
lol, I`m thinking of training a seal to do the job for me as I can`t catch anything of size! I know you gotta put the time in and venture further afield but I can`t afford either at the moment.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the imput lads, I thought I'd found an ideal solution to add to my bait freezer. It looks as though the frozen peelers will have to do.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Can somebody clarify this point for me please ! if edible crab is used as bait why is it illegal if it was bought from a reputable source and was not under size ??

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
This is a footnote of the byelaw

Explanatory note
(This note does not form part of the byelaw)

This byelaw prohibits the use of any edible crab (cancer pagurus) whatever its condition or size, for bait for whatever reason. (The Byelaw shall not apply to the use of cooked crab offal). The aim of the byelaw is to protect the crab stocks from extra pressure during the exploitation of other fisheries.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks for that crocodile, never really looked into before and have always got my bait from a tackle shop but spend much more time near the the coast nowadays, so may even collect the odd bit for myself and dont want to fall foul of the law, especially if it was put in place for conservation reasons.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is a footnote of the byelaw

Explanatory note
(This note does not form part of the byelaw)

This byelaw prohibits the use of any edible crab (cancer pagurus) whatever its condition or size, for bait for whatever reason. (The Byelaw shall not apply to the use of cooked crab offal). The aim of the byelaw is to protect the crab stocks from extra pressure during the exploitation of other fisheries.
Bang on cockodile they are really tighting up on the use of edible crab.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
r the velvets illegal as well lads?? i heard they were but they were saying that
they r edible crabs, but as far as i knew they did'nt eat them here just france,
but seen a pack of 10 cooked velvets in lidl's last week:unsure:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
i know the chinese go mad for them ower here ,so maybe they are edible
i know they r edible coddy m8t but r they illegal over hear? i think they do have a size limmit.
they give off a lovely sent, very strong & lasts much longer in the water, i used them about 3 years back.:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts