World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the Fishing rags, there are adverts for simple crab pots for general use, Are there any regulations, Licenses required to use a crab pot, clearly you don't touch those already out there, but can you drop one over the side while your out / at anchor ? :confused:

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
You can use crab pots privately but you may not sell your catch, you must observe minimum size limits and there are a limits to the number you can keep per day, e.g. 2 lobsters. Just be careful where yopu drop them, not over other peoples pot lines, not where they will get tangled with passing boats, and not where they will be washed away. You are also supposed to mark you pot floats with some form of identification. Oh, and check local by-laws, there may be regional restrictions. Other than that, have fun, it can be addictive! Be prepared for scumbags nicking your pots or raiding the contents though, some people have no manners.....

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
No regs apply appart from minimum sizes for keeping the catch, berried females and notched females, you are allowed up to 6 pots for private use and of course are not allowed to sell the catch.

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
Why bother with a pot? Make one of these crab snares

http://home.earthlink.net/~mcsnares/id3.html

A lump of lead, a bit of netting to make a bag, and snares made up of trace wire and Bob's yer Uncle. You would catch larger crabs that way. Crabs in daytime (smelly bait), lobsters at night (fresh bait)

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
Peter B - that's a great page. I've done a little part time hobby potting but not much, I'd be glad to learn more. I'm off on hols tomorrow but I'll be in touch when I get back. Thanks for the offer of advice.
Cheers

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great info guys, I've looked on the web pages and pretty well decided I'm going to have a go, :D The snares looked interesting as well, I was out yesterday from Pwllheli never seen so many pot markers, I swear one line of markers went out to Irland ! Saw a cooking fearture on telly the other day saying put the crab's / lobster in the freezer for 10 mins before cooking, they go into a stupor and don't feel the boiling water. apparently this is the approved method now ?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi,

I'm glad you found the article useful.

I've tried the freezer treatment, and I have to say it didn't work for me. In fact it seemed to do just the opposite. It was a hot day the day I tried it and the the lobsters were getting a bit drowsy with heat stress and I think the cold of the freezer revived them!!! When I took them out of the freezer after about 20 minutes they were kicking again, so I did the cold, boiled water thing - boil a pan of water, let it go cold and there's no oxygen in it. Pop them in that for 15 minutes and they're unconscious.

Anyway, if you have a go at the freezer treatment I'd be interested to know if it works..........

Cheers

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thought that I'd let you know that after reading this article I went and bought myself a pot on ebay. I made my own dahn and bought some rope and cheapy footballs and garden netting. I then went out in my boat last weekend off Padstow and dropped the pot off having filled it with old mackies. Next day - bingo - two large brown crabs, which found their way to the kitchen pot. I'm addicted already and can't wait to do it again

My only question from experts on here is do I really need a flag ? Can't I just use two buoys. One as a marker and the other as a wash buoy ? despite all my blue peter efforts, no-one else seems to bother with flags and just uses two buoys

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Violet said:
Thought that I'd let you know that after reading this article I went and bought myself a pot on ebay. I made my own dahn and bought some rope and cheapy footballs and garden netting. I then went out in my boat last weekend off Padstow and dropped the pot off having filled it with old mackies. Next day - bingo - two large brown crabs, which found their way to the kitchen pot. I'm addicted already and can't wait to do it again

My only question from experts on here is do I really need a flag ? Can't I just use two buoys. One as a marker and the other as a wash buoy ? despite all my blue peter efforts, no-one else seems to bother with flags and just uses two buoys
Good to hear Violet, I took delivery of two pots from the Web site today, just added some weights and Ropes, looking for a lump of cork or Polystyrene for flag now, hoping to try them on Saturday. with luck I will as lucky as you, I will let you know. I've still to find out what to do with the crab, some parts you don't eat, but can't find anything on web which shows.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Shropfisher said:
I've still to find out what to do with the crab, some parts you don't eat, but can't find anything on web which shows.
Hi shropfisher,
I thought this link would be easier for you to follow than any explanation I could give. Hope this helps. ;)

http://www.martins-seafresh.co.uk/crabs.htm

Cheers
Arct...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi Violet,

I'm glad you found my article on recreational potting useful. No there is no 'rule' that says you must use a flag to mark the position of your pots, and of course you can use a buoy if you want.

However, be aware that commercial boats will be out there in weather that you and I would not dream of going out in, and they need to be able to see hazards clearly and in good time to avoid them when they're ploughing through the big white rollers. So my advice would be to use a dhan and flag of at least 2.8 metres length, as I've put in the article, so that it is clerarly visible in bad weather by skippers who will be out there in that sort of weather.

You wouldn't be very popular if a commercial boat picked up your backing rope round his prop because he didn't see your buoy in time to avoid it, apart from the fact that you'd loose the lot of course!!

Anyway, I'm delighted to have tempted you to a bit of recreational potting; it's great fun, as you say. It's getting a bit late in the season for us hobby potters now though and I brought all my pots in yesterday until next April - had a nice 2½ lobster to end the season with though, so all's well that ends well !!!.

Very best wishes
Peter

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Peter - fantastic potting site - this has really wetted my appetite to do it properly. Do you ever get uninvited visitors in the pots? - We put a single fold up pot out this weekend and ended up with 1 undersized edible crab 2 large velvet swimmers, several small wrasse and an 8lb Bull Huss - all returned safely. The huss must have found it a bit cramped though!! Steve.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi again csx,

Oh boy, do you get uninvited guests in your pots!!! I've had conger, five gilled 'sharks', huss, you name it, but mostly conger. Do you know the most frustrating thing is that I've sat for hours right where my pots are fishing for conger on the rod WITH THE SAME BAIT AS THE POTS and.............nothing. Then haul the pots and there's a b****y conger in there!!!!!!!! I just don't get it.

At least with parlour pots you can just open the door and tip the conger out. When I was fishing with inkwells you had to put your hand in there and hook them out doubled up through the top throat and as you can imagine they didn't take too kindly to that - I still bear the scars of one or two of those encounters!!. In fact on one memorable occasion I had a BBBIIIGGG conger in an inkwell - it must have been coiled round at least 4 times, and I just cut the netting on the pot to tip it out because there was no way I was going to put my arm in there!!! Ahh happy days.

Go for it mate, get out there potting. It adds a whole new dimension to a trip out in the boat...........

Good luck, and all the best

Peter

·
Registered
408 Posts
If you're sticking crabs or lobsters them in the freezer you need to give them about an hour, depending on how cold it is. My freezer's set at -28 and 45 minutes is fine.

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
Peter B - when you say "season", is that just a weather restriction, or do you have local closed seasons for shellfish? Pots seem to be out all year off the Hampshire coast.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi Salar,

There's no closed season for shellfishing, it's just that from September on the lobsters start to migrate back to deep water after coming in to their shallow water nursery grounds to shed their eggs and breed . I put my pots out on 15th April this year, and from then on had an average of 2 lobsters per week from 6 pots until a few weeks ago when I started to blank. I've had the odd one in the last couple of weeks, so they're obviously going back deep now.

Also from September on the weather becomes more unpredictable round here and the ground seas start to pick up. So the chances of having your pots stranded out there for long periods when you can't get out to them increases and it doesn't take much of a ground sea to bundle up a pair of pots, roll them along the sea bed and pull your dahn under. I've lost lots of pots, backing and dahns that way pushing my luck too late in the year. So all in all I usually call it a day around now, especially if I start to blank on successive hauls.

Are you sure all the dahns and buoys around your bit of coast are pots? Even the commercial boats bring their pots in for the winter months, but they fish nets all year round, and I suspect a good number of the ones you see over the winter months are nets rather than pots.

Cheers, and best wishes.............

Peter

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
Peter B said:
Hi Salar,

Are you sure all the dahns and buoys around your bit of coast are pots? Even the commercial boats bring their pots in for the winter months, but they fish nets all year round, and I suspect a good number of the ones you see over the winter months are nets rather than pots.

Cheers, and best wishes.............

Peter
I think they are pots but not 100% sure without hauling them! Crabs are the main target I think, although I had 2 lobsters when I dropped a pot last year. They don't have dhans, only floats. They are set on the few rocky marks close inshore.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts