World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went down with wilky to check our traps for the second time this week twice and some one has beaten us to them now I know they arent our crabs but we put the roof tiles there ourselfs a month ago they are right beside my boat its bloody annoying to walk there to find someone has been there first also if its the bloke we think it is he has hundreds of traps, anyone had the same experiences and how did you deal with it?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Could it have been a stork in wellingtons?
I mean, I wouldn't blame them, as it really does get pretty muddy down there, and they can't lay their own traps as the tiles are too heavy for their little wings.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
i`m thinking one of these (ebay no 180104581551) with a sign next to the traps saying lucky dip.do you feel lucky?well do you punk?.:punk: .(but that would be illegal)

or,we`ll have to get down early and wait for the tide and then do them :uhuh: .not always possible when your working.

is it fair game to `harvest` other peoples traps??..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dont worry m8

you are right they are not "your" crabs and if someone gets there before you...get there earlier!. As Hake says the bird - "early wellington clad stalk" catches the worm!

they arn't your's till you catch em!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a peice of 2 by 2 comes to mind
what makes it worse he must have done 250 traps so he must be selling them you could see his prints all over the place the few we have is enough to keep us self sufficient and we put them there so we dont have to rob other traps its not illegal but it aint cricket so ill be looking out for this chap and having a few words

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Get down there as the tide uncovers them, otherwise, personally I think they are fair game unless you have set them on a private beach.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
went down with wilky to check our traps for the second time this week twice and some one has beaten us to them now I know they arent our crabs but we put the roof tiles there ourselfs a month ago they are right beside my boat its bloody annoying to walk there to find someone has been there first also if its the bloke we think it is he has hundreds of traps, anyone had the same experiences and how did you deal with it?
i had the same trouble in the plym this week........but i managed to catch him at it,I ****ING DEAL

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Get down there as the tide uncovers them, otherwise, personally I think they are fair game unless you have set them on a private beach.
cant see how u can say that if paul spent time and money putting thm there does that give the right for others to take crabs out of them ,would not happen in plymouth m8 you would be watching over your shoulders all the time know of one who tried this someone had a word in his ear and spent a week in hospital ,i am not saying what happened was right but if they were yours wouldnt u be a bit ****ed of with it

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
mate at the end of the day if he is doin gthat to you then maybe when he isnt there you should do his 250 odd traps.
sounds fair to me.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
seriously though if he thinks its acceptable when he obviously knows there not his traps then he should have no problems with you doing the same to him.
as long as you are certain it was him:)

ps think 250 peelers:)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
It is so very sad that at this time of year there is literally a war breaking out over crabs! We have the same in Sussex, people waiting on the beach for an hour for the tide to go out. You get some people collecting for profit, others for matches and the rest for pleasure angling. You have people threatening to throw each other in the water if they are caught collecting "their" crabs! very sad indeed. And why are people so greedy? I can understand collecting fpr profit, but to collect so many because they are there is lunacy. I take 80 or so for a bit of hound fishing, that's my lot. And I usually can't wait for them to finish peeling then the bad feeling usually stops too.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I agree with you damo..very sad indeed. The threats of violence that go with it is behavior that the anti's would be proud of.

Nothing wrong with setting traps but I don't think it's reasonable to be able to claim "ownership" when the trap contitutes an old tyre, piece of guttering or whatever left on a public beach..set em by all means but get there early when you want your crabs!

Rod n reel...completly different scenario mate, nets and pots are clearly someone property (athough raiding of pots does happen on the odd occasion) I don't think you can say that about roof tiles places below the high tide mark on a public beach? A bit different IMHO (and in law I expect though I'm no expert)

·
Registered
137 Posts
What ever happened to respecting the traps set by others.
Whosoever it is has gone out of their way to set the trap and should be allowed to reap the reward without some d**k***d coming along and helping theirselves.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
What ever happened to respecting the traps set by others.
Whosoever it is has gone out of their way to set the trap and should be allowed to reap the reward without some d**k***d coming along and helping theirselves.
i agree with tht pretty much

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I have my own pots and it was bloody hard work to get em out where they are. If i am not there by low tide I don't mind others doing them but if i was to get there an hr before and find some greedy b*****d (collecting em for profit) who has is own had already done them there would be a problem. Luckily in the Exe we respect each others pots and there hasn't been a problem for years.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I agree with you damo..very sad indeed. The threats of violence that go with it is behavior that the anti's would be proud of.

Nothing wrong with setting traps but I don't think it's reasonable to be able to claim "ownership" when the trap contitutes an old tyre, piece of guttering or whatever left on a public beach..set em by all means but get there early when you want your crabs!

Rod n reel...completly different scenario mate, nets and pots are clearly someone property (athough raiding of pots does happen on the odd occasion) I don't think you can say that about roof tiles places below the high tide mark on a public beach? A bit different IMHO (and in law I expect though I'm no expert)
What if you had cut and carried 150 tiles half a mile across soft mud and sand 5 at a time? Would you still be of that opinion? The pots don't make their own way out there and arrange themselves in neat tidy rows!!!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Interesting one this.

Personally I would be well pi$$ed off if I set traps and some w4nk3r decides to empty them for for me.

But as others have said, no one owns the crabs so really i think its a case of get the first.

Ive seen hundreds of traps in the estuary and have only ever looked under one trap to see what if anything was in there, not to take but just to look.

It does take a lot of time and effort to set these traps, especially walking round the estuary in all that horrible mud. So other peolple should have some respect when it comes to this type of thing, but as there is no law, then as I said before, get there first and then theres no problem.

Just an idea, what about marking your traps in some way? If I where to set traps then I would personalize them in some way. This may act as a deterrent to some.

YOU ARE BEING WATCHED

in bright red paint should do the trick.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts